It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:53

Anyway to block Youtube ads ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Anyway to block Youtube ads ?

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 18:59

Rarely bother with it these days. I can endure the few seconds of dross at the beginning until Skip Ads arrives but it's the continual interruption throughout the video that hacks mne right off. I wouldn't mind paying a nominal amount a month ti be ad-free. After all ITV and Channel 4 etc offer this. But the emphasis is on 'nominal'.

Last time I looked it was £12 a month on Youtube which IMO is excessive.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Anyway to block Youtube ads ?

Postby AndyT » 15 Jan 2022, 19:08

Playing in a browser with Adblock works well. Watching via the app is getting worse and worse, presumably to push us all to pay for Premium.

And using a Chromecast used to dodge the ads, but doesn't any more.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 19:11

This is one of the reasons why I switched browser to Brave. No YT ads. No ads in on-line news papers etc either. Highly customisable to avoid all sorts of tracking etc.

Vivaldi is also excellent and has a better bookmarking system but less robust privacy.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 19:13

AndyT wrote:Playing in a browser with Adblock works well. Watching via the app is getting worse and worse, presumably to push us all to pay for Premium.

And using a Chromecast used to dodge the ads, but doesn't any more.

I have Adblock on Safari on the Mac but it doesn't block those invideo ads.

Thanks for the Brave suggestion, Adrian. Not heard of that one.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 15 Jan 2022, 19:23

On the browser, definitely Brave or Vivaldi. My OH uses Brave, I use Vivaldi, both are good as far as I can tell. There are ad-blockers (look up "ublock origin") that will work with other browsers.

I've never found a solution for watching videos on Android, so I mostly watch videos on the laptop. The only time I watch videos on the phone is when I'm on the treadmill at the gym and I just have to put up with the videos usually. If I'm organised (which is very rare), there's always youtube-dl or you-get, both of which allow you to download videos to your PC for watching off-line later (with no ads), so I have in the past downloaded stuff to my phone to watch at the gym, but as I said, I'm rarely organised enough.

There's a thing for Android called Youtube Vanced / Vanced Manager, but I've never managed to get it to work (or at least I've never managed to get it to sign into my account so I can get at my Watch Later list).
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby MattS » 15 Jan 2022, 20:29

I got 2 years of YouTube premium with my work mobile contract. I’m just over a year in and dreading it coming to an end. I watch quite a bit of YouTube and have for used to no ads!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 15 Jan 2022, 20:49

Watching on my laptop (Ubuntu/Firefox/Adblock+) I never see an advert. It is tedious on a phone, but every add I see hardens my resolve not to pay ...
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Mike G » 15 Jan 2022, 21:44

Adblock Plus means there are no ads anywhere on the computer, including on Youtube. However, if you are watching Youtube on your TV then I don't think there is a fix. I haven't seen an add on my computer for years and years.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 22:15

I used to use AB+ and have tried various things. The issue I have had with AB+ is that some websites and especially trading platforms detect the filters (as opposed to the software add on itself) and then either don't work, restrict you or adjust functionality. It won't bother many people I suspect but these issues do not apply to Brave (for example) and it is much better if you do not wish to leave any web footprint.

Both Brave and Vivalidi used on a Mac laptop to stream to TV will block YT ads.

For Mac users, Apple really need to sort Safari out! It is well behind the game now.

For pure functionality Vivaldi has a great user interface and by far the best bookmark management tools. Dr Al first recommended it to me but I mainly use Brave because the security set up suits me.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 22:18

The one advantage with Safari is the way it is tightly linked to the Apple eco-system which for me is a bonus.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 15 Jan 2022, 22:36

Interesting Roger. I don't find that Safari offers me any advantage there really, as Brave can also be synced across multiple machines (bookmarks and passwords for example). However, I hardly use web browsers on phones so I stick with Safari there. The car uses Chrome I think.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alf » 15 Jan 2022, 22:46

AJB Temple wrote:For Mac users, why on Earth are you still using Safari!

Tweaked that for you, Adrian.

I'm no techno-wizzy thing, but even down here among the Beaker People we realised Safari was past it some time ago.

As to YewToob, that's some sort of moving picture thing, I gather? Does it, in fact, steal your soul, or is that just the druids joshing with us...?
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby droogs » 15 Jan 2022, 23:27

I use Ublock Origin (Inst 6/19 and blocked just over a 1/2 million ads so far)
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby AJB Temple » 16 Jan 2022, 00:04

Ha Ha, "beaker people". I thought they inhabited Norfolk still 8-)
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Peri » 16 Jan 2022, 00:36

Ublock and Sponsorblock
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby fiveeyes » 16 Jan 2022, 15:15

Rodger...I use Adblock Ultimate, along with Firefox. This is on my Mac Book Pro.
At home I use a PC, with same browser, but add Ghostery.
no ads!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat