It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:45

Direct from farmer oranges

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Direct from farmer oranges

Postby MattS » 16 Jan 2022, 22:28

I know we have some foodies here, anyone used this site?

https://www.crowdfarming.com/en

Just came across it with an add for oranges. Prices seem to vary but I’m tempted to try an orange box around £20. We eat pretty much only seasonal fruit and veg and you can’t beat the local Kent soft fruit eaten in season and I imagine oranges fresh from Europe would be similarly good!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Direct from farmer oranges

Postby Alf » 16 Jan 2022, 23:42

The Old Man is very keen on his oranges and we're looking at £24 a crate delivered for 48s wholesale at the moment. If they're selling by weight, not size, they're probably playing you. South African for the last couple of orders (really lovely, but always a bit spendier than European), but he'd be a better guide to when European oranges are in season. Edit: Mis-remembered: Current lot are Spanish.

My brother has had a cherry tree rental thing going for several years now in Kent, and if you're in that area it might be worth a look. They do the whole "come and look at the blossom" " here's how your tree is doing" kind of thing, and if you like cherries (and can face a glut to be dealt with/frozen) then it might be worth a look. In my youth we always had a week in Sussex in the last week Aug/first week of Sept and I can remember coming home in the car with a box of Vic plums at my side and apples at my feet. All we get round here are greens and cauliflowers. :?
Last edited by Alf on 17 Jan 2022, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Jan 2022, 11:44

Oranges are very hit and miss, I never buy from the greengrocer without trying first, I am happy to pay for my sample.
My brother in law (Spain) has an orange orchard and his crop all goes to a cooperative, even though the fruit is top class it’s hardly worth picking.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Ayreon » 17 Jan 2022, 13:24

Supermarket oranges just seem to get worse and worse.

No matter how much I spend, whether its the cheap ones or the "Taste the difference" type, I find they're more often than not dried up or little to no taste :(

Also, I'm not sure I believe that ordering boxes of food to your house from lots of different businesses actually helps with carbon footprint. Going to once place to get all your goods makes more sense to me.

A lot of people seem to be moving to this subscription based model where they get veg from one place, meat from another, bathroom products from somewhere else ... etc etc ... it can't be good. More packaging, more delivery trips, more cost.
Ayreon
Seedling

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat