It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:34

oh deer!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

oh deer!

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2022, 18:48

I have been placing my trail cam in one or two spots in a friends "garden".

IMG_0022a.jpg
(644.61 KiB)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: oh deer!

Postby RogerS » 17 Jan 2022, 19:17

Nice head shot should sort it. :twisted:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 21:03

Broad daylight. It's getting a bit brazen.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 17 Jan 2022, 21:08

A couple of weeks ago my son was on our driveway when a deer raced past him with a lynx in hot pursuit. He (like everyone else less than half my age) is usually very quick with his phone but didn't get a photo or video, which is a great shame. It is an unusual sight; deer are common but I have only ever seen wild lynx once, and never seen one hunting. That was the second lynx he had seen in the same weekend.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby eezageeza » 17 Jan 2022, 21:15

The deer seem a bit confused this year - we saw 6 running across an adjacent field last week.

Normally at this time of year they are still huddled together in the herd, and around here, deep in the woods. And when the herds do break up in spring, as Mike says, they are usually only active at dawn and dusk.
eezageeza
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jan 2022, 21:20

eezageeza wrote:........ only active at dawn and dusk.

Crepuscular.......one of my favourite words. :D
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 17 Jan 2022, 21:34

RogerS wrote:Nice head shot should sort it. :twisted:

Resultant bambiburgers would last months!!
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2022, 21:38

That was not the only shot but the best. We regularly see 4 deer in their grounds. And the camera did catch them all together. All the images were captured at around 5pm.
I moved the camera at the weekend to the side of a pond in hope of getting shots of them drinking. Will check on Wednesday.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tiresias » 18 Jan 2022, 10:38

deer1.jpg
(366.49 KiB)

There used to be a plant in that pot.

About 2 or 3 metres from our back door. And around 11am.

They are protected on the penninsula, and so are pretty fearless. Also a damme nuisance if you are trying to grow vegetables. Or flowers. Or trees. Or anything really...
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jan 2022, 10:41

Tiresias wrote:.....
They are protected on the penninsula, and so are pretty fearless. ...

Crazy. No natural predators I presume ? Vermin where we are.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 18 Jan 2022, 11:24

We have healthy populations in the fields and woods around us, they attract poachers unfortunately but we often see them around even in broad daylight and the dog occasionally flushes them out of the long grass.

Our garden and paddock are dog proofed with pig netting, barbed wire and completely enclosed by 7 - 8ft solid hedges but a few years ago we found a young roe buck running around looking for a way out. There's a busy main A road along the bottom of the field and being concerned the deer would find a way on to that I tried to usher it away. The poor thing panicked but eventually took a run at the hedge and jumped clean over the top, presumably that's the way it got in and a hell of a leap for a small animal.

Leave Bambi alone I say. :eusa-naughty:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Tiresias » 18 Jan 2022, 15:12

RogerS wrote:
Tiresias wrote:.....
They are protected on the penninsula, and so are pretty fearless. ...

Crazy. No natural predators I presume ? Vermin where we are.

That photo’ was taken at our place in Sweden, Tyresö, south of Stockholm.

No natural predators left, although there would originally have been bears (the name of the immediate area is Björndalen) who sometimes take deer, and wolves, who certainly would. Largest thing there these days is probably foxes. The deer population is regulated by culling each year done by either the kommun, or the National Park people, I can’t remember which.

Oh. Being knocked down by cars accounts for few, although there aren’t that many roads out there.

To grow vegetables you have to have one of these.

Cage1.jpg
(799.13 KiB)

A fine Heath-Robinson construction by YT. Uprights from a discarded swing, struts from old cladding. I had to pay for the mesh though. Bah.

Works though.

Cage2.jpg
(818.97 KiB)
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 21 Jan 2022, 10:30

Tiresias wrote: Also a damme nuisance if you are trying to grow vegetables. Or flowers. Or trees. Or anything really...

We have similar issue here, have to erect fences to protect what they enjoy 8-)

This chap was right outside my garage door one afternoon

Steenbok_BuigHoring_Large.jpg
(36.88 KiB)

Same chap feeding on the geraniums on a Sunday afternoon. Right next to the patio

WP_20211003_008.jpg
(59.28 KiB)

And after that healthy meal a Sunday afternoon snooze.

Steenbok_SondagMiddag.jpg
(62.11 KiB)

{Edit - added another pic}

This is the black tail muishond. He really gets the birds going, you dont have to see him, just listen to the birds :lol: :lol:

Brown_BlackTail_Muishond.jpg
(522.33 KiB)

These were taken from where I sit in the room with my computer
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Jan 2022, 12:05

There are herds of the things roaming around here. I quite like them. I picked up a mower a couple of weeks ago and the seller lived in West Sussex. He had a few fields and just across from their beautiful rural garden a herd of wild deer - 25 perhaps - were grazing in his meadow in broad daylight. It was fantastic to see.

According to the local firearms inspection chap, we also have wild boar roaming around in our area of Kent as well. There are lots of apple orchards where the fruit is not picked, so maybe the food source is an attraction. Pork and apple.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 21 Jan 2022, 12:36

Monkeys are the animals that first come to mind as pests from our trip to South Africa Phil, we were warned in advance not to leave anything on the stoop and sure enough the little buggers got everywhere even spoiled my game of golf when they nicked the ball twice. :lol:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Phil » 21 Jan 2022, 14:50

Lons wrote:Monkeys are the animals that first come to mind as pests from our trip to South Africa Phil, we were warned in advance not to leave anything on the stoop and sure enough the little buggers got everywhere even spoiled my game of golf when they nicked the ball twice. :lol:

Yip, you have to not just close windows and doors but also ensure they are locked.
At Mjajane the little * got through the one bathroom window and we we out on the other side of the house having breakfast, soooooooooooo they made off with all the fruit they get. :evil:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat