It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:48

Cold feet

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Cold feet

Postby Lurker » 24 Jan 2022, 12:32

I am having trouble with keeping my feet warm both in the garden and in the workshop.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I seem to remember discussion about heating pads but I am not sure where I read it.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Cold feet

Postby Steve Maskery » 24 Jan 2022, 12:56

I did buy some electric insoles. I can't remember where I put them (other than inside my boots, obvs). You have a Power Bank-type batter in your pocket and wire dangling down inside your trouser leg, so they take a bit of getting used to, but I seem to remember that they worked pretty well.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Gill » 24 Jan 2022, 13:14

Stay out of the garden and the workshop?
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jan 2022, 13:25

Get your circulation checked. Might just be diabetes.
Your gp surgery will have an ultrasonic tester with which to listen to the blood flow in your feet. They check mine each year for my diabetic review.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby droogs » 24 Jan 2022, 13:26

Put an electric blanket under the mat at your bench
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby PAC1 » 24 Jan 2022, 13:27

I was looking at some ski socks and thermals that had heaters with a battery pack, last week (just passing time whilst my ski boots were adjusted). I also received an advert from someone about heated work jackets (Screwfix I think).
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Lurker » 24 Jan 2022, 14:25

9fingers wrote:Get your circulation checked. Might just be diabetes.
Your gp surgery will have an ultrasonic tester with which to listen to the blood flow in your feet. They check mine each year for my diabetic review.

Bob

I don’t think it’s that, but will consult DiL who is a GP
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 24 Jan 2022, 14:27

Have ordered some one use things from Amazon to test, will report back.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jan 2022, 14:31

Lurker wrote:
9fingers wrote:Get your circulation checked. Might just be diabetes.

Bob

I don’t think it’s that, but will consult DiL who is a GP

Lets hope not but a statistic I'd heard estimates suggest over 1m in UK have diabetes and don't know it - I was one of them 20 years ago and only found via a walk in test offered at my workplace.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Just4fun » 24 Jan 2022, 14:38

I have some cheapo heated insoles that run off batteries that sit on elasticated straps around my ankles. I have only really used them when I was on a week long trip north of the arctic circle. I can't say I ever felt them being warm, but I never felt I had cold feet so I guess the heaters did what was needed and nothing more.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 24 Jan 2022, 14:39

If your feet are cold put a hat on, they used to say.

I have a cheap pair of walking boots from Aldi/Lidl that are very warm, I wash the car in them, its a tight fit!

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 24 Jan 2022, 14:41

I bought some PAC Boots mail order from the USA some years ago. Unfortunately I bought some that are supposed to be good down to minus 40 and my feet get too hot in them! They have a metalised liner that reflects the heat, which combined with the insulation makes them very toasty. Do a Google for PAC boots, they aren’t so expensive over here now. They had them in Lidl the other week for about £20.

Edit: this is the sort of thing.

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 24 Jan 2022, 15:50

Just4fun wrote: ... I can't say I ever felt them being warm, but I never felt I had cold feet so I guess the heaters did what was needed and nothing more.

I suffer from extremely poor circulation (diabetes) and my hands get cold quickly. It's much easier to stop them getting cold than it is to warm them up.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Lurker » 24 Jan 2022, 16:23

Thanks chaps,

I bought some new walking boots a few weeks ago so I will relegate my old pair for workshop duties.
I’m toying with replacing the laces with elastic (thin Bungy ) so that I can slip them on and off at the house threshold.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Vann » 24 Jan 2022, 16:48

Pete Maddex wrote:If your feet are cold put a hat on, they used to say...

And the saying is still valid. You loose a high percentage of your body heat through your head. It's also very cost effective to try.

Good luck, especially with it NOT being diabetes.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Jan 2022, 17:28

Vann wrote:

And the saying is still valid. You loose a high percentage of your body heat through your head. It's also very cost effective to try.

Cheers, Vann.

I'd agree; as long as me bonce is covered I can generally stay warm, so the 'to go' outdoor gear is a thick hoodie (beloved of a certain ex PM) as well as a full set of thermals - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rezi » 24 Jan 2022, 18:02

I bought some felt/wool insoles for my boots and they work very well.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby RogerS » 24 Jan 2022, 18:47

Woodbloke wrote:
Vann wrote:

Cheers, Vann.

I'd agree; as long as me bonce is covered I can generally stay warm, so the 'to go' outdoor gear is a thick hoodie (beloved of a certain ex PM) as well as a full set of thermals - Rob

The science seems to disagree ! Only 7-10% of heat is lost thriugh the head. Proportiional to the skin area.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... nbehaviour
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby spb » 24 Jan 2022, 18:55

RogerS wrote:The science seems to disagree ! Only 7-10% of heat is lost thriugh the head. Proportiional to the skin area.

This is one of those things that's sort of right, but not for the reason people think. Yes, body heat is more likely to be lost through the head, but only because it's the area of skin most likely to be left uncovered in the winter. The oft-quoted 45% number came from people in arctic gear and bare heads; 7-10% comes from people in swimming trunks. Likely real world scenarios fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

The real lesson is: if you're feeling cold, and there's a significant part of you that's not covered by warm clothing, think about covering it. For most people, that's most likely to be the head or the hands, and there are good reasons not to wear gloves in the workshop.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby droogs » 24 Jan 2022, 19:14

Lurker wrote:Thanks chaps,

I bought some new walking boots a few weeks ago so I will relegate my old pair for workshop duties.
I’m toying with replacing the laces with elastic (thin Bungy ) so that I can slip them on and off at the house threshold.

I used these on my in the field (deployment) boots for around 17 years - brilliant things

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnum-Unisex- ... B00Y2JSR96
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Cabinetman » 24 Jan 2022, 19:32

droogs wrote:
Lurker wrote:Thanks chaps,

I used these on my in the field (deployment) boots for around 17 years - brilliant things

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnum-Unisex- ... B00Y2JSR96

Very clever, hadn’t seen those before, could be very useful. But-
Getting ready for my time in snowy America and I got some Sorrel boots for Christmas they come with a felt liner and finish just below the knee and tie off so no snow can get down. Quite looking forward to firing up the snow blower. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 24 Jan 2022, 21:49

The science seems to disagree ! Only 7-10% of heat is lost thriugh the head. Proportiional to the skin area.

No harm to the Guerniad, in forty years of tearing up and down various bits of sub-arctic Britain, Europe and the Americas, I beg to disagree. I maintained a sweat-free (V.I.P. in minus temps) comfortable body temp, largely by adjusting hat and gloves.

It was always an eye-opener to youngsters approaching hypothermia, that a good fleece hat and waterproof warm gloves (from "Sir's" bag) would quickly reverse incipient (literally!) 'chilling out'!

Of course, a windproof top helped, as did preventing any layers becoming damp (8 times quicker heat loss) but my old fleece balaclava was all I needed for many years. I can also recommend "Eargear" for those amongst you with a full barnet.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jan 2022, 22:13

I wear my hat in the workshop when it's below 10 degrees in there.

Make's a difference to me.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat