It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:35

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Postby AJB Temple » 12 May 2022, 21:50

For a camera to be usable it needs a spare battery if you are on a shoot or on holiday. However, this camera is very good value and if you are pleased with it, maybe it is worth investing in a few extras.

Raw files are quite large. Can't you take the card out of the camera and slip it into the computer either directly or via an adaptor? I do all file transfers that way as it is very quick.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 12 May 2022, 22:07

I have a lightning SD card reader for my iPad and that works well. I’ve not tried it but apparently the iPad can read RAW files imported via card. A number of cameras no longer ship with a separate charger and I agree it’s not good. Having a spare battery is a must for me.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 May 2022, 06:32

AJB Temple wrote:For a camera to be usable it needs a spare battery if you are on a shoot or on holiday. However, this camera is very good value and if you are pleased with it, maybe it is worth investing in a few extras.

Raw files are quite large. Can't you take the card out of the camera and slip it into the computer either directly or via an adaptor? I do all file transfers that way as it is very quick.

I bought it with a spare battery Adrian and I will buy a third party charger. Just seems a shame to me that Panasonic do not supply one. Yes I can take the sd card out easily and slip it directly in the iMac but the wifi transfer facility is so much easier. While on holiday for instance easy download to the iPad is a bonus, having to cart another gadget, ie a card reader, would be a PITA.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andy Kev. » 13 May 2022, 09:17

Andyp wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:For a camera to be usable it needs a spare battery if you are on a shoot or on holiday. However, this camera is very good value and if you are pleased with it, maybe it is worth investing in a few extras.

I bought it with a spare battery Adrian and I will buy a third party charger. Just seems a shame to me that Panasonic do not supply one. Yes I can take the sd card out easily and slip it directly in the iMac but the wifi transfer facility is so much easier. While on holiday for instance easy download to the iPad is a bonus, having to cart another gadget, ie a card reader, would be a PITA.

That's remarkable. I've never heard of and indeed never imagined a manufacturer who did not supply a charger with a new camera. They could offer a discount for people who still have a charger from an older model but to not supply one as a matter of course seems to me to be fairly poor customer service.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 May 2022, 09:49

See my earlier post Andy. One can charge the battery but only with the battery in the phone. Which for the 170 quoted minutes it takes to charge the camera cannot be used.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 13 May 2022, 12:06

I’m pretty sure my wife’s last compact camera, also a Panasonic, came without a charger.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 May 2022, 12:57

If anyone is interested in my future attempts to take a good photograph I will load future images to Flickr

https://flic.kr/ps/3iaDmc

It is only a free account, my add blocker does a good job, all I see is a black screen where ads go. Flickr members, even with a free account, can leave comments which from any Woodhaven members would of course be welcome.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 15 May 2022, 07:33

I took some hand held images of the moon last night in RAW. Loading them onto the iMac from the SD was straight forward. However Photos grinds to a snail’s pace as soon as I try to edit. It took over 3 minutes for the spinning wheel to stop after hitting Edit and before I could adjust any of the sliders. Considerable delay of many seconds between moving a slider and seeing the result. My ageing iMac is just not up to the task.
The RAW file was over 28mb.

E701AA23-DECC-4978-B377-F34E25512064.jpeg
(281.92 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 15 May 2022, 07:56

Lots of noise in that shot Andy. Bring the iso down, up the exposure a little, but not much and squish the aperture to 11 to 16ish. The moon isn't going any place quickly.
Haven't got a tripod, find something to lean on.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 15 May 2022, 08:53

And tomorrow morning the moon could look quite spectacular just before dawn.

Well, probably elsewhere - we have cloud. :(
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 May 2022, 09:07

Yep. Last night was a dummy run .

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Cabinetman » 15 May 2022, 12:49

But you did appear to capture one of the lights on the moon? People have reported seeing them for centuries.
Also a good picture of the ejecta rays. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Andyp » 15 May 2022, 14:06

Thanks Ian, it makes me think how good an image I could take.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andy Kev. » 16 May 2022, 11:40

Andy,

if you are still mulling over the basics, there's a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson which might be of some use. It has good reviews. If you couple that with a book on composition, you won't really need anything else.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 16 May 2022, 12:00

Andy
so as not to detract from your thread, I'm not posting the image fully here, but this link is my shot of the moon a few years ago (ignore the date, camera Exif is never set right).

https://flic.kr/p/j86Pce
edit:
having looked at the settings, you aren't far off the same as me, but considably more noisy, which none of your settings would have resulted in really.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 16 May 2022, 12:08

novocaine wrote:Andy
so as not to detract from your thread, I'm not posting the image fully here, but this link is my shot of the moon a few years ago (ignore the date, camera Exif is never set right).

https://flic.kr/p/j86Pce
edit:
having looked at the settings, you aren't far off the same as me, but considerably more noisy, which none of your settings would have resulted in really.

Was that hand held Dave? I had a tripod ready last night but cloud cover won and I wasn't about to get up at 4am for the Blood Moon eclipse.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 16 May 2022, 12:09

Andy Kev. wrote:Andy,

if you are still mulling over the basics, there's a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson which might be of some use. It has good reviews. If you couple that with a book on composition, you won't really need anything else.

Thanks Andy, composition is the least of my worries. I will take a look at the book, thanks.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 16 May 2022, 12:12

Andyp wrote:
Was that hand held Dave? I had a tripod ready last night but cloud cover won and I wasn't about to get up at 4am for the Blood Moon eclipse.

I wouldn't have thought so at 200mm. although I could have got close with 160/1.

I tended to use a tripod for everything for a while, it made my live easier.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 16 May 2022, 12:19

I've given up on RAW format. Late 2009 iMac grinds to a halt if I try and edit and I haven't got a method of getting them on the iPad. Lightening to USB cable tried but does not work.

When you use the term "noise" do you mean out of focus?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Stuart » 16 May 2022, 12:28

Andyp wrote:
Andy Kev. wrote:Andy,

Thanks Andy, composition is the least of my worries. I will take a look at the book, thanks.

Andy, - I can definitely recommend this book. I bought a copy when I moved to an SLR and it helped me understand many of the mysteries around exposure. Well written and easily understandable.

He also does a lot on YouTube which you might find useful as well (his ‘style’ takes a little bit of getting used to!).
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 16 May 2022, 13:16

Andyp wrote:I've given up on RAW format. Late 2009 iMac grinds to a halt if I try and edit and I haven't got a method of getting them on the iPad. Lightening to USB cable tried but does not work.

https://www.topazlabs.com/learn/what-ca ... can-fix-it

You may also find this of interest.

https://youtu.be/oTpaVomQHXs
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 16 May 2022, 13:24

Andyp wrote:I've given up on RAW format. Late 2009 iMac grinds to a halt if I try and edit and I haven't got a method of getting them on the iPad. Lightening to USB cable tried but does not work.

think of it like static on the telly, your image is "grainy", this makes it look out of focus or less sharp.
having looked at the settings, it points towards an issue with the camera itself, possibly the size of the sensor which means it is having to interpolate more between pixels and thus getting more noise.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 17 May 2022, 10:16

novocaine wrote:Lots of noise in that shot Andy. Bring the iso down, up the exposure a little, but not much and squish the aperture to 11 to 16ish. The moon isn't going any place quickly.
Haven't got a tripod, find something to lean on.

This is last nights effort. I am confused, you said bring the iso down. I whacked it up to 800 for this.
Certainly seems a lot sharper.
312F7D2E-2D91-40EF-8C86-01A89FCAF02B.jpeg
(141.1 KiB)

https://flic.kr/p/2nm6yN7

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 17 May 2022, 11:52

look at the copunicus crater.
on both your images it is a roughly whitish blob with a greyish spots that overlap it and the surrounding area, there is no real definition to the edge. thats noise. the colour isn't consistant, the edges are fuzzy and extend over a number of pixels, with little obvious of a line. now look at mine. you can see there is an edge to the actual crater, the colour is consistant without greyish spots over it and you can make out the fact that the grater isn't just a blob but has depth to it too.

some of this will be due to atmospheric disturbance, you can't do anything about that, but not all of it.

I'd say your second image is showing more noise.

I really don't know how to explain noise to you in any other way than I have. this image might help, on the left is what you want, on the right is what I'm seeing in your image.

iso-sensitivity-comparison.jpg
(48.13 KiB)

If you aren't seeing that, I'm not sure how else to say it I'm afraid. I do thing it's possibly the camera and there isn't much you can do other than post work to remove the noise.

it should be said that noise and focul sharpness are not the same thing although they do go hand in hand to some extent as noise will reduce focul sharpness. however sharpness is also used in other descriptives of the image, which noise will effect tremendously. this is so much easier to explain in person when looking at the same image. sorry I can't say it in a way that makes sense. :cry:
Last edited by novocaine on 17 May 2022, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 17 May 2022, 13:02

Noise is perhaps not too surprising. The Lumix DC-FZ82 has the second smallest sensor on this list.
It’s even smaller than the sensor in the latest iPhone.

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat