It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:49

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2022, 10:50

thanks chaps.
I had sussed the ISO problem. Had I arrived more than 2 minutes before my daughters lesson was about to finish I would have had more time to think about all the other variables.

I would be sent packing if I tried to use a flash anywhere near those horses.

There is a 4k photo mode on the camera.

Still much to learn.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodster » 04 Jun 2022, 13:02

There are so many settings on modern cameras these days. So much so that on my camera you can backup all the settings you’ve made to a computer.

Guides like this can be useful.

https://s72682c060f8ef020.jimcontent.co ... 20FZ80.pdf

Forum chat like this can also help.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4152514
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Jun 2022, 14:44

Horse photography is not easy. I used to do three day eventing when I was a fit young man (when I had more bottle too), and also a lot of horse photography at competitions around the UK and Europe. You really need quite broad depth of field as horses with people on top are big: it's like an 8ft cube. Lots of movement with legs, mane, neck, tail, rider, reins. As my learned colleague said above you can if you want stick to aperture priority and ramp up the ISO. That is not now most equestrian snapper pro's do it though - they will run a pretty fast shutter speed in my experience (2000 plus), and as low ISO as they can get away with. Part of the reason is that at competitions, especially eventing, and often in arena show jumping, there are often a lot of shadows from trees etc or awkward lighting, and difficult contrast (eg light jods and dark horse coat). Lowish ISO gives you more correction options in post.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Eric the Viking » 04 Jun 2022, 15:11

Makes complete sense.

A lot depends on how much sensor noise there is, also in my case I think the fastest shutter speed I can get from the 6D is 1/4000, which is surprisingly low. It's not fast enough to freeze action terribly well.

I wasn't suggesting firing flashguns at horses, just observing that they work well for other frozen-motion applications, and for wildlife.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Jun 2022, 18:50

Yep. No one taking outdoor pro phots at equestrian events uses flash. Actually I think the horses are mostly oblivious as they and rider are 100% focussed on the jumps and they are cracking on. If you go to Wembley or somewhere like that for showjumping at Christmas, flash will be going off all around the arena, and the horses don't react. They are very alert though. However, going over an 8ft solid event fence at Badminton or Burghley at 30mph on a 17 hand super fit thoroughbred event horse is a different ball game and plenty dangerous enough without snappers causing distractions within the sight lines.

We used a 6D in the office for a while. Good camera. I had (still have) a 5DIII before I bought the mirrorless body and you can ramp both shutter speed and ISO to very high levels.

As with all this stuff, it's not really about the camera, which is just a light box really. The glass is what makes the difference. The pros at all the big deal events were super well organised as the name of the game was getting prints up on the board asap to flog them to owners, grooms and competitors. After a while you realise they are all a bit samey. I gave it up some while ago and have no idea about the current scene.

Andy's challenge is tiny sensor and slow glass. The camera is a nice bit of super convenient kit but needs to be used within it's limitations to get great results.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2022, 19:31

Silk purse, sow’s ear. :)

Not wanting to throw unavailable funds at this new “hobby” I am determined to make the most of what I have got. I do not know the next time that I will be in the right place at the right time to improve on the moving horse lesson. Remembering what to do next time is always going to be a problem. Not currently being able to process RAW files is work in progress.

I very much appreciate the help offered here.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 04 Jun 2022, 19:58

Andy, get one of the super cheap (sometimes free) bits of software to deal with raw images.

Fast Raw Viewer is dirt cheap and great for very fast downloads and organising.

At your level of expertise (not being horrid) I would fork out for Luminor AI. You will get much better results as the presets are very cool and you can do stuff like sky replacement with a couple of clicks. It's quite cheap I think.
https://skylum.com/checkout/luminar-ai/special-offer

It's not pro level capable, but you can get amazing results from it. I used an earlier version for a while but my needs are different.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Jun 2022, 20:16

First up Adrian, I need to improve disc space on the iMac, Viking Eric has recommended an Usb SSD for this purpose and I shall source one soon.
Actually I think I need a new mac, but that will have to wait.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2022, 08:24

I know this latest wildlife photo is not perfect. I spied this buzzard while out this morning.

Although the camera was resting on a fence post and on the timer I still had to hold it. Still no raw images processing so jpeg and iPad.

600701C6-CB59-473B-92CD-1DCA7D9B3196.jpeg
(319 KiB)

https://flic.kr/p/2nrX8n3

I am looking for one of those wrap around tripod thingies to help when out and about.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andy Kev. » 14 Jun 2022, 09:34

This is purely subjective so feel free to reject it.

I think that picture would benefit greatly from a judicious crop. On the left of the bird I'd start just where the hight of the branches starts to drop and I'd crop on top above its head at a height about equivalent to the length of its tail. Or at least I'd try that to see how it would look.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Jun 2022, 10:15

Andy Kev. wrote:This is purely subjective so feel free to reject it.

I think that picture would benefit greatly from a judicious crop. On the left of the bird I'd start just where the hight of the branches starts to drop and I'd crop on top above its head at a height about equivalent to the length of its tail. Or at least I'd try that to see how it would look.

interestingly I'd crop it but differently, I'd put the bird (preferable the eye) on a 3rd line and that's it. the "dead space" of the sky is quite nice and gives a good empty space that pushes the eye to the subject.

I'd be happy with that picture Andy, good effort.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andy Kev. » 14 Jun 2022, 10:33

Dave, I have the impression that you are a far more experienced photographer than I and I'll gladly bow to your judgement. I really am just an amateur who set himself the target of wanting to understand what was necessary in order to be able to control an image. I do tend to fall flat on my face a bit when it comes to the creative stuff.

I recently discovered a big, modern factory on the banks of the Rhine and I want to go down there of an evening to try and get some black and white shots of it. It's essentially white but there is some texture in the surfaces. I have an idea of the effect I want to get but I suspect that it will be a fair old challenge.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2022, 11:02

Thanks Andy and Dave.

That is my cropped image :(

My only regret is that with the bird looking right it would look better on the left of the image.

I’ve seen him, or her, on that tree a number of times so I may get another opportunity.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Eric the Viking » 14 Jun 2022, 13:25

Most of my decent wildlife photos have relied on habits of the creatures photographed. There's absolutely no shame in it - the really good guys I've come across are naturalists and observers first and photographers second.

I have a feeling that buzzard from that position is right on the limit of what's possible with your setup. I don't think you'll improve it with a crop, simply because there's insufficient detail.

I have a similar pic of an Osprey (below) - the composition is nice (I caught him taking off), but... the lens isn't long enough, I wasn't quick enough, he isn't in sharp focus, and there's even a bit of camera shake (your fencepost is an excellent idea - I think I had a uselessly-dangling monopod for that shot!).
IMG_4748.jpg
Male Osprey Eldorado Park (c)2017 SDM
(152.95 KiB)

It's one of those "I saw it and I can prove it! photos - certainly not for a big wall print! I can't improve it any further, as more tweaking would make it worse!

In the case of your buzzard, using the raw file would help hugely, as you'd be able to correct for the chromatic aberration visible around the bird (caused by the lens), and significantly increase the sharpness, with no loss of quality.

You can see jpeg or processing artefacts, as you can on my Osprey. Don't over-sharpen in the photo editor - there's a slight halo round the bird. The Osprey is horribly over-sharpened too!

Given there's good light (the bird isn't shaded), a teleconverter would probably have worked quite well. I've no idea if they are available for Panasonic though they probably are.

The light is behind you, which is also very helpful as it will get you the best exposure, at the expense of a little 3D-ness to the image, because of where the shadows fall, and it's a bit harder for him to see you clearly!

It's one of those photos where you'll be fine at the time of day you took the original photo, but at other times, light falling across the front of the lens will dramatically decrease the quality. The image will get duller and you might also get speculars (bright patterns) across it (like car headlights in rainy night movie scenes).

If the lens doesn't have a hood, try some rolled up cardboard around it to keep the sun off (elastic band to keep it on the lens, if you can make it black inside so much the better, but anything to shade the front of the glass will help.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Jun 2022, 14:13

Andyp wrote:
My only regret is that with the bird looking right it would look better on the left of the image.

Yes, I agree. Nice capture though. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jun 2022, 14:25

When I was taking lessons (not many) the old pro was very astute. One of his lines was "your best zoom is your feet". You will always struggle Andy if you are relying on a long lens with a small sensor operating at the extremes of its range. Your best bang for your buck by far in terms of quality is to free up some computer space to enable you to process raw images as already noted. JPEG will always limit your ability to process a good shot into a great one. But keep it up - you are getting some great opportunities and you have the camera with you a lot - that's 90% of the battle.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2022, 14:40

The bird was t’other side of field to the lane I was walking along. No chance of getting closer especially with the mutt in tow. He was actually facing the other way on my way out. I was delighted to see he had turned around for me on my return trip. I am actually taking images in JPG and RAW so the opportunity to enhance the RAW images at a future date is there.
I have no desire to produce wall sized prints at the moment.

Combination of dog and camera certainly attracts attention. I was stopped by a farmer in his tractor the other day, who happened to be the owner of the peacock, who wanted to tell be where I could get some good photos of a family of swans. Alas they had moved on by the time I got there.
I am keen to find the storks that frequent the marais but alas they only seem to be around when I am in the car, sans camera.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jun 2022, 16:54

Camera being there is crucial. Last night was the final evening of my wife's "birthday week" and by dint of fabulous planning (aka total luck) coincided with me taking her to a private garden party at Sissinghurst Castle, with Troy the head man in attendance.

I took my full frame camera with the very wide angle zoom lens as I knew she would want some scenery shots. When we got there I realised I had picked up a 7DII (not full frame) with a 100mm fixed macro lens on it - so pretty useless for the intended job :oops:

Stunning evening though.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Jun 2022, 21:54

The best camera is the one you have with you.
It might not be the "right" camera, but at least it's there.

As I mentioned before, I carry either my 60d or 400d with me everywhere (for some reason I thought it was a 350, whoops). But these below were taken with my phone, because it was the easiest to grab from my pocket.

IMG_20220608_160608_557.jpg
(440.48 KiB)

They aren't perfect, but they are a he'll of a lot better than the ones I didn't take. :D
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 21 Jun 2022, 08:35

Was pleased to be able to catch Harry’s cousin this morning.

F009C857-89F7-432A-8B45-F9CC75B55A92.jpeg
(772.43 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andy Kev. » 21 Jun 2022, 10:30

I like that because the out of focus foliage in the foreground frames him a bit.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Jun 2022, 10:33

Possibly your best so far Andy. Nice shot.

Would be interesting to see what you cropped from.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Jun 2022, 11:48

Oh er. I wont get my head through the door in a minute. Thanks though ;)

Un cropped & unedited.
P1010337.JPG
(250.44 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 21 Jun 2022, 11:58

Would anyone like to show me how much improvement can be made of that photo with RAW editing?

the image is on my dropbox here:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzjbqgtdnhbcy ... 7.RW2?dl=0

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Eric the Viking » 21 Jun 2022, 20:33

Harry's cousin is a gem!

Very nice shot.