It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:47

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2022, 09:37

What have I done :)
Jeez it’s complicated. Taken me about 4 hours to get the images off the camera and into the iPad. Not the camera’s fault but user. There are enough menus and settings to sink a battleship and a french user manual does not help. I have an english one on the iPad but I cant lug that around with me.

Only managed to take images with Intelligent Auto so far and a quick walk .
Lens wound in
C0744E02-A481-469D-8491-A37AC3562A24.jpeg
(508.08 KiB)

Lens wound out
BC77D30D-26D1-4186-8A9F-5B0C8BC4D923.jpeg
(249.95 KiB)

Would be interested to know from the experts around here if, by playing with the myriad of settings, I could get the colour of the sky in the zoomed shot to be the same as the zoomed out.Taken handheld BTW no tripod.

And the images did not not rotating before posting here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82

Postby NickM » 06 May 2022, 10:36

Wow, that is a good zoom.

I suspect the sky colour at the level of the spire is the same in both photos. The sky is much paler near the horizon.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 06 May 2022, 10:49

My neighbour for 2 years was Kai Stuht, a german globe trotting cameraman, sponsored by lumix.
He has a utube channel, maybe he offers suggestions for the lumix?
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2022, 10:59

Sky colour readily alterable in post processing. Especially if you take originals in RAW setting on the camera, not JPEG.

Apple Photo (free with iPad etc) will do this but is a bit rudimentary. Lots of things you can download from free through cheap to expensive, to enable better end results (assuming you start with something decent). Most have settings that will do much of it automatically and many have total sky replacement functions. Luminar AI for example is very easy to use.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2022, 12:20

NickM wrote:Wow, that is a good zoom.

I suspect the sky colour at the level of the spire is the same in both photos. The sky is much paler near the horizon.

Good point Nick, I’d missed that

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2022, 12:27

sunnybob wrote:My neighbour for 2 years was Kai Stuht, a german globe trotting cameraman, sponsored by lumix.
He has a utube channel, maybe he offers suggestions for the lumix?

I’ll have a kook Bob, thanks. So much to take in at the moment.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2022, 12:32

AJB Temple wrote:Sky colour readily alterable in post processing. Especially if you take originals in RAW setting on the camera, not JPEG.

Apple Photo (free with iPad etc) will do this but is a bit rudimentary. Lots of things you can download from free through cheap to expensive, to enable better end results (assuming you start with something decent). Most have settings that will do much of it automatically and many have total sky replacement functions. Luminar AI for example is very easy to use.

I’ve never really played around with post processing. I’ll have a closer look around. I can certainly set the camera to RAW

I note we cant load RAW images here.

I messed about with the church spire..
64A91B94-BC79-4CC7-867A-D2A328E7D2D1.jpeg
(320.89 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 06 May 2022, 16:20

Think of RAW as a digital negative. You process it to look how you want then save a copy as a jpeg. RAW files themselves can not be edited. The editing program usually saves a list of edit actions to recreate the changes in case you want to edit some more. You have to 'save as' to have a file with the changes made.

jpeg images are compressed which means some detail is thrown away to make the file size smaller. RAW files have all the info from the sensor so you have the best detail to work with while editing. They also have none of the cameras normal jpeg processing like sharpening or changing tones so RAWs will need some sharpening at least.

Worth trying it for say one outing. Then see if you think the results are worth the effort of all the editing. It's a personal thing. If the jpegs from the camera suit you then don't bother. I only shoot RAW and I can edit pretty quick. i try to get the exposure right all the time but an under or over exposed shot can often be recovered from RAW to look decent but you have no such option with jpg.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2022, 16:24

Thanks Robert, If I can fight my way through the menus to change the setting to RAW I’ll give it ago tomorrow.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby AJB Temple » 06 May 2022, 16:29

Andy, on many cameras you can save on the camera memory card in both RAW and JPEG. Obviously has an impact on how many images you can save in a session.

With many processing systems, you can select a preset that converts your RAW files and adds all sorts of corrections as a first crack at processing. Often these presets are very good and can be applied instantly to the whole batch. AI has brought processing very much into the amateur realm so it's all very easy now.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 07 May 2022, 05:42

I'm certainly no technician Andy, but I'd say the picture is being affected by aerial perspective causing the greens and greys to take on a bluish tint; the sky at that point is being shot through a lot of atmosphere and it's being affected in the same way. You can do all sorts in post-processing, but to avoid it you'd need to walk closer to the church and get a different perspective... :)
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2022, 07:10

Chris152 wrote:....but to avoid it you'd need to walk closer to the church and get a different perspective... :)

Don't tell him that ! He'll wonder why he bought a camera with a 60x zoom !!!! :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2022, 07:27

Adrian, according to the book I can save in Raw and JPG at the same time. Whether I can fight my way through the menus and find the setting is another matter.

I’m beginning to sound like my father. Why do they makes these things so complicated. The basic user manual is 64 pages. The Operating Instructions for Advanced features is 311 pages :shock:

Roger, I waiting for a clear night to see what the moon will look like.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 07 May 2022, 07:30

Andyp wrote:Adrian, according to the book I can save in Raw and Jog at the same time. Whether I can fight my way through the menus and find the setting is another matter.

I’m beginning to sound like my father. Why do they makes these things so complicated. The basic user manual is 64 pages. The Operating Instructions for Advanced features is 311 pages :shock:

Roger, I waiting for a clear night to see what the moon will look like.

It's big round and white. Next question please.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2022, 07:31

Yeah but I want to know if it is really made cheese. :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2022, 08:17

Andyp wrote:..... The Operating Instructions for Advanced features is 311 pages :shock:

That's nothing. I had a VW courtesy car once and the manual was well over 700 pages !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2022, 08:27

Well Andy, you are a man and men do not use instruction books. 8-) You also have teenagers in the house so delegate man! This is what kids are for.

Anyway, good photography has little to do with the gear and everything to do with composition. Very long zoom lengths almost always bring compositional and sharpness issues.

I've had a bit of Leica experience and quite a lot of amateur Canon experience. On the Canon's the on camera menu systems are easy to follow and scroll through so I never need the book. You probably just need to play with it for a while and learn how to control depth of field, focus point for composition, etc.

Bring it with you when you visit in the summer and I will show you my process routine on a Mac if you like.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2022, 09:34

Oh indeed, only when all else fails RTM.
Part of the problem as far as this particular user is concerned is that I am not at all familiar with some of the terminology. Oh I will play.
I had a reputation in my working days at ICL for "what does this button do". Oops !

So long as the camera has a reset to factory settings I will be fine.

Of course this idiot in his excitement forgot to buy a case for the camera.

Thanks Adrian

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andy Kev. » 07 May 2022, 09:53

Andy, the only advice I would dare to offer is as follows:

a. Master the basics in the same way as you would a hand tool. There must be a manual (usually denoted "M") setting. At first use this exclusively. You will then be juggling only three factors, aperture size which governs depth of field (very important for e.g. landscapes, close ups and portraits), exposure time (if you're going hand held, it will need to be very short indeed for the long shots) and ISO setting. On a sunny day, the latter can be around 200. On a very grey day it should be 800 or more. As a rule for exposure time, they say three times the number of the focal length you are using, so 50 mm would need an exposure as near as possible or shorter than 1/150. So you will go shorter than 1/120 for that focal length.

b. Your camera has a dramatic zoom range. People are often attracted to going to extremes with the zoom. Force yourself when in e.g. a town to take 20 - 30 shots with the focal length at 35 mm. When doing landscapes try a few at a very wide setting with a view to getting lots of foreground detail and the shot sharp from front to back.

Once you have mastered the camera on manual, you will be in a position to understand what all the automatic options offer you. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up never using many of them.

You might also want to consider getting a book on the general principles of photography. These have not changed with the move from film to digital. So you need a book that goes heavy on composition and exposure control but is otherwise light on technical stuff. I can't recommend one because I gave most of mine away.

Finally, there's the bit that I am least qualified to opine on. You need to stick with one processing software and learn to get your head around it. I have Affinity Photo which is brilliant (and it seems to be British) but I only need to do very little with it for my B&W pics. Otherwise I begrudge time spent at the computer. You will easily find a book for normal people which takes you through using Affinity Photo.

For the long term, think about a camera with interchangeable lenses and building up a kit with just three or four lenses.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 07 May 2022, 09:57

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:..... The Operating Instructions for Advanced features is 311 pages :shock:

That's nothing. I had a VW courtesy car once and the manual was well over 700 pages !

700 pages? Eh?

Was it a bible with an addendum of prayers in case it broke down? :D
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 07 May 2022, 10:09

Andyp wrote:Thanks Robert, If I can fight my way through the menus to change the setting to RAW I’ll give it ago tomorrow.

It’s here:

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 07 May 2022, 12:49

Can’t see the point in saving raw and jpg you aren’t going to use the jpg image.

I use apture priority with auto iso set to a max usable setting then just adjust the apature to get the depth of field I want. Far easer than manual.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Stuart » 07 May 2022, 13:14

Am I right in remembering that RAW images are quite a lot bigger size wise and you can soon eat up even a decent sized memory card?
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 May 2022, 14:56

Yes, RAW file sizes are bigger because all data is saved.

RAW plus JPEG is great for some people, because the JPEG shows what the basic potential is so that you can see which ones are worth processing from RAW. I only spend time on images that are worth processing and bin the rest.

Andy - you don't really need a case. Or a lens cap. Once my son and I did a street photography course. Very good. A key lesson was always have the camera ready for action (no case, cap, and basic settings for the conditions set in advance (ISO, aperture, etc). You never miss a shot this way. Became a habit to change the settings if we ventured indoors, or into bright sun. That same day a young man fell off Westminster Bridge into the Thames far below, right in front of us.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2022, 17:16

Dumb question?
Exposure time = Shutter Speed.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine