It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:23

R.I.P David Charlesworth

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

R.I.P David Charlesworth

Postby thetyreman » 25 May 2022, 15:51

I just heard the news that David has passed away, it's a very sad loss for the woodworking community. RIP.

https://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk/news-view/2514/
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Re: R.I.P David Charlesworth

Postby Andyp » 25 May 2022, 16:06

Very sad, he was member here and elsewhere. Had a chat with him once when I was making my Tripp Trapp chairs. A top bloke.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Trevanion » 25 May 2022, 16:12

Ah, that’s a shame. Always a gent.

The big sharpening discussion in the sky just got a bit bigger :lol:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2022, 16:16

That's a big shame; I met him several times at various 'doos' and he was unquestionably a scholar and a gentleman as well as a regular contributor 'somewhere else'...he even let me use his Holtey low angle jack on one occasion. I learned shortly after seeing him at one of the Yandles shows that suffered from severe depression.
Huge loss - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 25 May 2022, 16:20

I met him a couple of times as well top chap.
Sad day, very sad day.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 May 2022, 16:25

Ahhh real shame. I met him a couple of times, firstly at a show where I first met Rob (Woodbloke) when we did our shift on the UKW stand. Lovely chap and I spent ages talking to him in detail about trick and techniques I'd learned from his DVD's, and he entertained all my noob questions with great grace and gusto. Real shame, RIP David.

There's an announcement on the homepage of his website https://www.davidcharlesworth.co.uk/
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2022, 16:28

TrimTheKing wrote:Ahhh real shame. I met him a couple of times, firstly at a show where I first met Rob (Woodbloke) when we did our shift on the UKW stand.

Yep, I remember it well. That was at Rycotewood where Rob Ingham also put in an appearance - Rob

012small.jpg
(30.87 KiB)

007small.jpg
(33.89 KiB)
Last edited by Woodbloke on 25 May 2022, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 25 May 2022, 17:09

That is a sad loss. I never had the pleasure of meeting him and only know him through his DVDs which IMO were excellent. One of them helped me make the biggest single leap in quality of skills that I have ever made. From the DVDs he seemed like a thoroughly nice chap. My condolences to those who were close to him.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 25 May 2022, 17:12

That's a real shame. I've never met him but I found his videos extremely helpful.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby DaveL » 25 May 2022, 17:54

I met him at the European Woodworking shows. A very generous man sharing his knowledge.
I provided some biscuits for him and Philly and I remember him carefully brushing the crumbs from his bench. My bench is based on the design in one of his books.
Sad news indeed.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 25 May 2022, 18:17

DaveL wrote:I met him at the European Woodworking shows. A very generous man sharing his knowledge.
I provided some biscuits for him and Philly and I remember him carefully brushing the crumbs from his bench. My bench is based on the design in one of his books.
Sad news indeed.

Philly with David:

blokes.jpg
(33.45 KiB)

...at one of the shows - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Eric the Viking » 25 May 2022, 18:24

I only met him once, I think at Westonbirt, when I was there with Steve Maskery. As everyone else says he was kind and gracious - took time to chat for a few minutes.

His contributions here and 'another place' were equally generous-hearted.

What a shame.

E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby Doug » 25 May 2022, 20:30

Woodbloke wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Ahhh real shame. I met him a couple of times, firstly at a show where I first met Rob (Woodbloke) when we did our shift on the UKW stand.

Yep, I remember it well. That was at Rycotewood where Rob Ingham also put in an appearance - Rob

012small.jpg

007small.jpg

That was so long ago I didn’t remember going :shock: :lol:

Sad day I met David on quite a few occasions I seem to remember the last time he was in very poor health
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TomTrees » 25 May 2022, 20:31

Very sad news, my condolences to his family and friends, he will be missed for sure.
Learned loads of stuff from watching one of his old planing videos about 10 years ago,
and not came across anything which came close since then.
R.I.P Mr Charlesworth.
TomTrees
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Philly » 26 May 2022, 08:04

How very sad! David had a great analytical mind and he really advanced knowledge in so many areas of woodworking (precision planing and sharpening being just two). He was also a real gent and a thoroughly decent chap. I have fond memories of him taking part in a post-show football match at Westonbirt one year, the man never failed to surprise :D
Last edited by Philly on 26 May 2022, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Philly
New Shoots

Name:

Postby CHJ » 26 May 2022, 08:52

Philly wrote: I have fond memories of him taking part in a post-show football match at Westonbirt one year, the man never failed to surprise :D
Philly

Ahh, Westonbirt and the multiplicity of of shows and gatherings of old, sadly missed as will be David, I was only ever on the periphery but miss the atmosphere, banter and informed discussions. The few times I was in the company of David he never failed to react to the discussion with useful guidance or thought provoking comments.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2022, 09:27

CHJ wrote:
Philly wrote: I have fond memories of him taking part in a post-show football match at Westonbirt one year, the man never failed to surprise :D
Philly

Ahh, Westonbirt and the multiplicity of of shows and gatherings of old, sadly missed as will be David, I was only ever on the periphery but miss the atmosphere, banter and informed discussions. The few times I was in the company of David he never failed to react to the discussion with useful guidance or thought provoking comments.

One of his favourite sayings was..."perfection is impossible, but aim for precision" or something very similar - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2022, 09:31

Doug wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

That was so long ago I didn’t remember going :shock: :lol:

Matt Platt from Workshop Heaven there as well; the name of the other chap escapes me; Welsh I think - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 26 May 2022, 09:50

I just heard the news, too. Very sad to hear. I had the pleasure of doing some illustrations many years ago when we were both writing for the same magazine. Top bloke.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby johnward » 26 May 2022, 10:09

I regret I never met him but have learnt things from him via the internet
R.I.P. David.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Doug » 26 May 2022, 12:27

Woodbloke wrote:Matt Platt from Workshop Heaven there as well; the name of the other chap escapes me; Welsh I think - Rob

Aled Dafis? Was he a school teacher?
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 May 2022, 12:33

Doug wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:Matt Platt from Workshop Heaven there as well; the name of the other chap escapes me; Welsh I think - Rob

Yeah he was, also made some brass shoulder plane and marking knife kits which I bought a couple of (still not started you won't be surprised to know...). Nice guys.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Routermonster » 31 May 2022, 19:12

I have just learned (via Nick Gibbs, Quercus magazine) of David’s death.

When I first started ‘proper’ woodworking by hand 20 years ago, I bought his first three books, and a number of his video cassettes, and, later, his DVDs. Over the years, I have re-read and watched them again, and David’s principles and precise methods have stayed with me.

I watched his sharpening demo at Westonbirt one year. And I chatted to him at another show at Cressing Temple (2010 - I think), when he graciously answered my dumb questions. We were holidaying in North Devon one year, and I managed to visit his workshop in Hartland, where I bought another DVD. We chatted, and he showed me around his workshop. Just as in his videos (and his measured responses during woodworking forum debates), David was always the perfect gentleman when talking face to face.

RIP David - you were a blessing to us.

Les
All the tools - none of the skills!
Routermonster
New Shoots

Name: Les

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Jun 2022, 08:25

TrimTheKing wrote:
Doug wrote:

Yeah he was, also made some brass shoulder plane and marking knife kits which I bought a couple of (still not started you won't be surprised to know...). Nice guys.

Yep, that's the bloke and I seem to remember the shoulder plane kit as well. Entirely unsurprised that they haven't been started Mark :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Jun 2022, 12:20

Woodbloke wrote:...Entirely unsurprised that they haven't been started Mark :lol: - Rob

Got to save some things to do in the workshop, when it's eventually set up to do work in... :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat