It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:46

Not another pizza thread...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Not another pizza thread...

Postby Robert » 13 Jun 2022, 15:59

Apologies to those bored with pizza stories but i took some pictures last time I made some and set my pizza on fire due to messing about with the phone - so I'm going to post them!

I now use those black sheets for BBQ grills to make pizza handling easy. this is how it goes...

dough balls are slowly stretched out just by hand. once it wants to stop stretching i leave it and start another ball. once rested it will stretch more and so on until it is the right size. trying to do it in one go doesn't work for me.

Then they go on the BBQ sheets. The sheets are the same width as the pizza stone which is handy.

Toppings added. The pizzas were then left for half an hour while the Ooni got going. The peel goes under the sheet for transfer to the oven.

With the stone somewhere over 400C the sheet and pizza goes in the oven.

Door on, count to 20 seconds, door off and then pull the BBQ sheet out. in that time the underside has set and it can be cooked normally.

400+ degC did nothing to the sheet

And thanks to the messing with the camera I let my pizza catch fire

tasted OK though. Impulse bought some giant pepperoni as it looked different. Bit bland so back to the German stuff.

I now use the grated mozzarella usually (though not this time) as it is dry. I make the sauce and freeze some for other times. I reduce passata along with finely chopped onion, garlic paste and oregano until it piles up like ketchup not flows like water. Water is the enemy for pizza as far as I'm concerned. The dough is white bread dough made as extra to bread making. I use marriages Canadian very strong bread flour from Costco. Makes great bread and good for pasta too.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Not another pizza thread...

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Jun 2022, 21:16

where do you get the black metal sheets from?
do you oil them or just use flour / semolina?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby thetyreman » 13 Jun 2022, 22:33

I'm salivating :eusa-clap:
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Robert » 13 Jun 2022, 22:36

They are not metal - they are PTFE covered glass fibre and about as thick as heavy paper/light card.

They are sold for use on barbecues as a grilling sheet. You put it on the bars and grill on it and nothing can fall through. I only use it for fish cooking on the BBQ.

There are loads on Amazon or ebay. I bought what was on offer at the time - this one

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KRVJY3

Seems counter intuitive but they work and seem pretty indestructible and nothing sticks to them.

Pizzas that have stood for a while uncooked the dough relaxes and possibly sweats a bit so a 30 minute old pizza would stick if left on a peel or tabletop and also become softer. On the sheets they don't need to be disturbed until the base is part cooked and firm.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby John Brown » 13 Jun 2022, 23:14

Interesting. I thought PTFE was on the naughty list these days.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 13 Jun 2022, 23:16

Robert wrote:
Dough balls are slowly stretched out just by hand. once it wants to stop stretching I leave it and start another ball. once rested it will stretch more and so on until it is the right size. trying to do it in one go doesn't work for me.

That’s the way I do it, normally in three steps. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 14 Jun 2022, 15:08

I think there are a few people getting their F's and C's muddled. :o :o
This has cropped up before about pizzas needing 500c, which I find mind boggling.
Those mats listed are rated for 500F, which is only 260c.
260 C is a goof temp for pizza. 500 C is a flash over temp which cant cook the middle before the outer burns, even on a thin crust.
Remember that any american product will be in F, and any european product will be listed in C.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby John Brown » 14 Jun 2022, 15:20

"Remember that any american product will be in F, and any european product will be listed in C."

Maybe not for long in Borisland.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 14 Jun 2022, 15:30

I did say "American" and "Europesn" :lol:
I omitted the farcical disaster of the world that used to be Great Britain :eusa-whistle: .
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 14 Jun 2022, 16:28

No mixing of F and C here. Those mats might be rated 260C (I've not checked) but they are unmarked by short exposure to 400+C. I've used them over BBQ coals where the temperature must be even higher and still unmarked. In fact I've never managed to burn one or even mark the surface.

I wouldn't use them at extreme temperatures every day of the week just in case something comes off them. Don't see a problem for occasional use where they look as new after use.

I have seen amazon reviews on other listings where people say the mat is crumbling etc. maybe there are fake mats sold that are not like the ones I've had so far?
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 14 Jun 2022, 22:29

I fire up my Ooni and according to the infrared thermometer it’s up to about *430°C in about 10-15 mins. I then turn the oven down a little before I start cooking Pizza’s in it. Cooking Pizza in my Ooni only takes about 90 seconds so I don’t have time to check the temperature but I’m guessing it’s 350°C - 400°C?

* I’m sure Ooni say the Koda goes up to 500°C but mine doesn’t seem to reach that temperature, not that it seems to need it.

Exactly the same recipe Pizza cooked in our electric oven at about 250°C is not as nice as one done in the Ooni. The only real issue with it is it doesn’t like the wind. Luckily our garden is fairly sheltered but if the wind did stop us using the Ooni I’d find another spot in the garden or build some kind of wind break for it. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Jun 2022, 07:09

Woodster wrote: The only real issue with it is it doesn’t like the wind. Luckily our garden is fairly sheltered ...

That's the issue I found as well. I've sited our pellet burning Ooni somewhere fairly sheltered but it's still prone to misbehave it it's gusty so I look the movement of the trees in the garden to make an assessment of whether or not to fire it up - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby BigMonka » 15 Jun 2022, 22:08

Robert wrote:They are not metal - they are PTFE covered glass fibre and about as thick as heavy paper/light card.

They are sold for use on barbecues as a grilling sheet. You put it on the bars and grill on it and nothing can fall through. I only use it for fish cooking on the BBQ.

There are loads on Amazon or ebay. I bought what was on offer at the time - this one

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072KRVJY3

Seems counter intuitive but they work and seem pretty indestructible and nothing sticks to them.

Pizzas that have stood for a while uncooked the dough relaxes and possibly sweats a bit so a 30 minute old pizza would stick if left on a peel or tabletop and also become softer. On the sheets they don't need to be disturbed until the base is part cooked and firm.

I got an Ooni last week and I love it! One of the difficulties though is the chef not being able to sit and enjoy the food with everyone else as you have to be making the next pizza, so I’ve taken your recommendation and ordered those sheets to see if I can make a batch of pizzas and then just need to cook them. Thanks for the suggestion :eusa-clap:
BigMonka
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Robert » 15 Jun 2022, 22:37

Used them again this evening. Set the wife's pizza on fire this time :)

Wind blew one of the sheets away after I pulled it out and I took too long fetching it back.

Apart from that it worked better than ever this time. It is literally 20 seconds from putting the sheet with pizza on it into the oven to touching the edge of the pizza with the peel and pulling the sheet out.

You can go on to the next pizza too quick after cooking one. Too quick because I've found the stone needs a couple of minutes to regain temperature.

Hope it works as well for you as it does for me.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 16 Jun 2022, 08:13

We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodster » 16 Jun 2022, 10:00

I’ve got one of these but I’ve never actually used it! :lol:

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 16 Jun 2022, 10:10

If Festool made a pizza blade for its saws people would buy it. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Cabinetman » 16 Jun 2022, 20:08

I’m sure it would cut Pizza very well, it’s cleaning it afterwards that would annoy me. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodster » 17 Jun 2022, 14:53

I’ve given in and finally bought a turning peel. Hopefully it improves Pizza manipulation somewhat. If not it will become a £20 ornament. :lol:

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 17 Jun 2022, 15:20

Woodster wrote:I’ve given in and finally bought a turning peel. Hopefully it improves Pizza manipulation somewhat. If not it will become a £20 ornament. :lol:

Going to give my Ooni spinner a try out tonight as the weather is set to change to something a bit cooler over the weekend...could possibly be some heavy rain - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 18 Jun 2022, 09:43

Anyone watching James Martin's Saturday Morning on ITV? Fancy the pizza? I can't say I did.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Woodster » 22 Jun 2022, 15:29

Todays effort.
F2BD5B9B-D620-476E-B804-D226988D7BC3.jpeg
(601.49 KiB)

This is what I’m looking for. I started the Poolish yesterday evening and then finished off the dough this morning in the KitchenAid. Nice and light and Airy, tasty too.
Attachments
82FEB780-BCBB-4FE3-97E4-A8138BEC9C2A.jpeg
(817.47 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 22 Jun 2022, 18:23

I honestly don't know how I survive without one of these amazing ovens. My pizzas come out like this without one. Ah well, guess I'll just have to suffer on. :D
Attachments
20220621_203808.jpg
(181.9 KiB)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodster » 23 Jun 2022, 18:46

I’ve thought about doing this several times before but not got round to it. I must give it a try. ;)

https://uk.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/beer- ... %3D.MyRgUA
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 07 Jul 2022, 16:57

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat