It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:56

River Tables were killing us all along!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

River Tables were killing us all along!

Postby Trevanion » 13 Jun 2022, 22:13

Quite an interesting article about the potential health implications of using Epoxy Resin in woodworking projects:

https://www.ehn.org/epoxy-resin-health-risks-2657288685.html
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: River Tables were killing us all along!

Postby thetyreman » 13 Jun 2022, 22:32

good to know because I'm never going to make one :lol:
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Cabinetman » 13 Jun 2022, 23:28

Oh terrific! I can still smell the stuff from when we used it at school, pouring it to form really terrible white coffee table tops with coloured blotches and swirls. I’m surprised more of us aren’t dead too young already. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Eric the Viking » 14 Jun 2022, 07:50

I feel really sorry for the guy who is Blacktail Studio when this becomes general knowledge.

I love his work ethic and the beauty of what he creates, but he's probably done a lot of damage to himself, and his clients won't be too keen to have their very expensive tables venting chemicals for a long time after manufacture (I don't know if this happens, but it well might).

I have enough trouble with wood preservative chemistry (woodworm/rot killers, etc.), to which I think I'm now sensitized. I mean the modern "safe for numpties" stuff. The older formulations were fare more effective, but even nastier still... To think I used to like the smell of Trike* as a youngster!

E.

*Trichloroethylene: industrial degreasing tanks, paint stripper, etc.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 14 Jun 2022, 08:10

Do we know whether the resin will stick long term to the wood while it expands and contracts?
Or will all these river tables will fall apart in a few years?

I really don't like them,I have seen some in the flesh they where completly covered in resin and had ripples all the way down the top.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Eric the Viking » 14 Jun 2022, 08:19

Mr Blacktail studio has done extensive tests (and they're on his YT channel). The way he does them they are extremely strong and the bond is far stronger than the wood surrounding them.

Part of his process is spending ages removing all traces of rotten wood from the slabs too. He's definitely a perfectionist, and I doubt most of the constructors take a quarter as much time as he does (but then his tables are very high-end).

He's also brutal about rejecting ones with blemishes.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby wallace » 14 Jun 2022, 08:26

I wonder if it applies to uv resins also, my wife made some jewelery containing her fathers ashes for herself and her mother. She's dabbled with the two part ones also.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 14 Jun 2022, 08:42

Eric the Viking wrote:*Trichloroethylene: industrial degreasing tanks, paint stripper, etc.

Dabitoff?
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Jun 2022, 09:08

Trevanion wrote:Quite an interesting article about the potential health implications of using Epoxy Resin in woodworking projects:

https://www.ehn.org/epoxy-resin-health-risks-2657288685.html

I've passed that onto 'the old firm' as they now stock an extensive range of resins - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 14 Jun 2022, 11:22

What about stuff like rustins, I thought it was inert once cured. I've used it on wooden drinking vessels
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby spb » 14 Jun 2022, 12:42

If you read further down the article, it says that all the epoxy resins they looked at were inert and (relatively) harmless when fully cured, but that "fully cured" takes a lot longer than most people working with them are prepared to wait before sanding and finishing them.

It's this difference that brings the danger - most people are aware that liquid epoxy is unpleasant stuff you don't want on your skin, but aren't aware that it's still dangerous in the several days after it becomes hard enough to scrape or sand.

If you've got a resin finish on something you made months or years ago, though, it'll have completely cured long ago and be inert by now.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Eric the Viking » 14 Jun 2022, 12:48

Phil Pascoe wrote:
Eric the Viking wrote:*Trichloroethylene: industrial degreasing tanks, paint stripper, etc.

Dabitoff?

That takes me back! - small glass jar full of something (trike?) with a pad in the top - mum and grandma both used it.

It did have an extremely strong smell, but I never looked at the label - usually too keen to get rid of whatever that week's stain was (gear oil or bearing grease probably), before I got into trouble again!
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 14 Jun 2022, 16:49

I can't check at the moment but I think it was when my bottle of Dabitoff was running low that I went to the ordinary high street chemist and bought a bottle of carbon tetrachloride to replace it.

It's not run out or killed me yet. Will I be able to get another?
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat