It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:06

Wash those cuts and scratches

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Wash those cuts and scratches

Postby Lons » 14 Jun 2022, 17:24

I would guess that most of us here get loads of cuts, scratches, splinters etc. I certainly do and usually just wipe the blood off, wrap some gaffa tape around and clean up later, sometimes much later but in future I intend to be much more careful.

The nephew of my SiL, who is 43, fit as a lop, does loads of sports including triathlon got a small cut on his hand, only 4 days later he's been rushed into hospital and is in a serious condition and on a ventilator. I don't know any more details except that if he survives his condition will be life changing. The cause is Necrotising fasciitis. His mother as well as my wife knew immediately what it is and the likely outcome, I had to look it up and wish I hadn't, the images are not nice. :shock:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Re: Wash those cuts and scratches

Postby Rezi » 14 Jun 2022, 18:02

I also looked it up. Nasty!
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2022, 18:39

What a shocker Bob, fingers crossed for him.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Lons » 14 Jun 2022, 19:04

Andyp wrote:What a shocker Bob, fingers crossed for him.

I don't know him well Andy as he's a relative through marriage but by all accounts a nice guy and with a young family, his mother, a retired nurse is devastated having recently lost her husband to cancer and her mother a few months ago. I dread to think what his wife and kids are feeling at the minute as it's likely at best he'll lose a limb and worst his life, the fact he's being ventilated isn't a good sign but survivors in any case usually have a shortened life expectancy. Just shows you never know what's around the corner, my son is 40 and it's hard to imagine it could be him!
Lons
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jun 2022, 20:21

Totally agree. I am super accident prone and also have eczema so cuts and cracks are frequent. If I get a cut or puncture wound I deal with it pronto with either TCP or a Dettol dip. Up to date on jabs too.

Just lately when doing things like painting I haev taken to wearing surgical gloves and for gardening I always wear work gloves.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 14 Jun 2022, 21:18

Blimey hope he's OK.

Like a lot of H&S I have become more sensible as I get older. Gave myself a fairly bad cut during lockdown with a sickle, just carried on and then later popped a plaster on. Fast forward a few days and it was badly infected and a trip to the nurse was needed which wasn't easy.... didn't fancy going near a hospital for something so minor which I could have prevented :shock:

Now treat all cuts, even small immediately, clean and cover properly.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 14 Jun 2022, 22:44

If I get minor cuts or cracks I tend to get legs cut off. :lol:

I hope all go as best it can for him.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Lons » 14 Jun 2022, 23:18

AJB Temple wrote:I deal with it pronto with either TCP or a Dettol dip. Up to date on jabs too. .

:shock: TCP is disgusting stuff, I think I'd rather have the infection. I gashed my head on a building job years ago and my brother a designated first aider poured half a bottle on, the missus wouldn't go near me for a week.
It would make a good contraceptive. ;) :lol:
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Lons » 14 Jun 2022, 23:21

Phil Pascoe wrote:If I get minor cuts or cracks I tend to get legs cut off. :lol: .

Only you could say that Phil, I don't know how you cope and keep your sense of humour. :eusa-clap:
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Eric the Viking » 15 Jun 2022, 08:12

Lons wrote:
Phil Pascoe wrote:If I get minor cuts or cracks I tend to get legs cut off. :lol: .

Only you could say that Phil, I don't know how you cope and keep your sense of humour. :eusa-clap:

Echoed here. Phil, you're brill, at many levels!

. . .

Given the above, I feel a bit wimpy in comparison mentioning this, but it reinforces the original point: two years ago this September, I fell over in the Teign gorge, Dartmoor, on some rock steps. I cut into my shin fairly badly, but washed it off in the hotel's gents' loo washbasin, stuck a big plaster over it and drove home to Bristol ('twas our last morning down there and we'd already checked out, otherwise I might have dressed it better). It seemed to heal fine for the first ten days or so.

Then, pretty suddenly, it didn't. An on-call GP 'looked at it' (by jpeg via email), and thought it was OK. I ended up in hospital for a day, being pumped full of antibiotics. They saved the leg, but it still took months to heal over.

The infection did for the lymph nodes in that lower leg, so I'm in surgical socks now (probably forever), and still limping, although that goes away if I exercise properly.

I was left in no doubt by the A+E triage nurse that it was 'just in time'. And all because I didn't put more effort into getting the wound cleaned and properly dressed in the first place.

So check the first aid box is up to date, especially with anti-bacterial cream, etc. I'm married to a recently-retired GP, who's in charge of that stuff, so it was rather a shock to discover that the equivalent in our box was around 10 years old, which probably didn't help me much, either. Just goes to show how easy it is to not replenish, etc.

E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 15 Jun 2022, 08:13

TCP? Tom cat's p!$$.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat