It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:21

Coeliacs and strawberries....

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Coeliacs and strawberries....

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2022, 09:26

LOML who is severely coeliac and keeps a watching brief on these things reports that one thought that is starting to gain traction is the following.

Strawberries are increasingly being grown undercover and on straw (guess the name is a bit of a giveaway) and that there may be a transference from the straw to the strawberries of gluten and that washing may not completely remove it.

Just passing the info on. She's suffered a major setback and the only thing different in her diet are strawberries. Hence the research. Time will tell.

Either that or the damn Guar Gum in the organic coconut cream.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Coeliacs and strawberries....

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Jun 2022, 10:08

Useful to know.

Be surprised if commercial growers use straw. We use black membrane and that seems to be common now.

Lots of guesses about the name, but one ancient one is "strewn berries" referring to the wild runners. My grandad claimed it was because the berries are yellowish before ripening.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2022, 10:36

AJB Temple wrote:Useful to know.

Be surprised if commercial growers use straw. We use black membrane and that seems to be common now.

Lots of guesses about the name, but one ancient one is "strewn berries" referring to the wild runners. My grandad claimed it was because the berries are yellowish before ripening.

I'm trying black membrane this year as we have all new plants. Seems ideal. Not missing weeding the beds one little bit. Had first half a dozen fruit to try yesterday. Should be more today.
Raspberries very close too.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2022, 11:22

I'd inherited a lovely gooseberry bush. Last year's crop was juicy and sweet. A few months back, SWMBO asked me if I thought that one of the dry stone walls looked better. "Which one ?" I asked. "The one where I removed that old bush." :evil:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Jun 2022, 11:23

I do not understand the need for a membrane.
We have had at least 4 kgs out of the beds that encircle the greenhouse so far this year. 1.5 kgs in the frrezer for jam making later, the rest gobbled.

5BA34EB3-B927-4301-ABB7-71C3B9F9852B.jpeg
(511.29 KiB)

The girls job to pick them as my hands are too big to get through the chicken wire that keeps the birds, and dog, off.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Jun 2022, 11:26

We have a membrane because my wife has colonised a new area for strawberry production and the membrane will surpress the weeds. It's a new bed about 3m square. Mind you a couple of bunnies have managed to get in and so I am on dawn patrol at the moment as they are partial to anything fruity, or young shooty.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Jun 2022, 11:27

You possibly get less rain during the fruiting season than we do. We need something to help keep the fruit off the soil and clean. Traditionally straw is used but membrane seems to be taking over.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby eezageeza » 20 Jun 2022, 09:10

None of the commercial growers in these parts grow on straw - they're either in chest-high raised troughs, or in membrane covered ridged beds at ground level.
eezageeza
Seedling

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat