It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:56

Weird Pronunciation in a YouTube Video

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Weird Pronunciation in a YouTube Video

Postby Lurker » 23 Jun 2022, 17:45

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerS wrote:
Andy Kev. wrote:....Am I being over sensitive?

In a word....possibly ! I didn't find anything out of the ordinary in the way that he spoke TBH.

What I find much more grating is the way a lot of women speak these days ...either with the Aussie interrogative rise at the end of each sentence..

You can lay the blame fairly and squarely on 'Neighbours' for that misdemeanour; thank God it's been kicked into the long grass. KM was tolerable though :D - Rob

Skippy was even worse!
How anyone realised someone was trapped in a mineshaft was unbelievable, given his poor diction.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 23 Jun 2022, 17:53

Pedants are we. :lol:

And deeply proud to be bastions of a proper education, and thereby, consequent unambiguous communication.

Think of this: there are two types of tube attached to the bladder. Their spellings differ by one letter and a transposition. Imagine the possible repercussions if a typist educated strictly, or even partially by soshul meja and street lingua franca was entering the consultant's dictated notes for transmission to the surgical team. :shock:
Look up the anatomy. Wrongful "palliative" resection just does not bear thinking about.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Phil Pascoe » 23 Jun 2022, 22:11

Sub titles can be a great source of amusement ............... or offence. A newsreader's name was sub titled on Talk TV the other day as Nasty Kafir.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Andy Kev. » 24 Jun 2022, 06:20

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:As a survivor of Junior Latin, I find it intolerable that the proper Latin and Greek endings are so mis-pronounced. "Funjai" being a particularly irksome lingual laziness. As for "a criteria", well it tempts me to fracture the sixth commandment.

Criteria is clearly the plural and I've always taken criterium to be the singular (I have no Latin). What then does "criterion" mean? The ending looks Greek but I have no Greek either.

To get back to the YouTube ... try to think of a mild term ... ah yes, moron, here's an example of what his problem is. Consider this famous quote:

Now is the winter of our discontent made summer by this bright sun of York.

In terms of where you put the emphasis, it's a thespian's playground. Try it yourself and see which words you instinctively stress (and I stress "instinctively" as opposed to thought out).

My version is:

If I did the thought out version, I can see another couple of possibilites. For instance, I might want to stress "sun". (I also noticed that I stressed only the "tent" bit of discontent.)

Let's consider our internet boy. Because he seems to have great problems turning language which goes in through the eyes into something which comes out of the mouth in a half normal way, I wouldn't be surprised at something like:

That sentence alone is a stress mangler's dream. I daren't think what he might have made of one of Churchill's more rousing wartime speeches. In fact, I can't bring myself to consider it.
Last edited by Andy Kev. on 24 Jun 2022, 06:48, edited 4 times in total.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 24 Jun 2022, 06:21

Phil Pascoe wrote:Sub titles can be a great source of amusement ............... or offence. A newsreader's name was sub titled on Talk TV the other day as Nasty Kafir.

Are you sure they weren't just quoting a fatwa?
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby tracerman » 24 Jun 2022, 10:04

In the original script of the play , Richard , Duke of Gloucester , ( later to be King Richard III ) is saying - " Now is the winter of our discontent ,made glorious summer by this sun of york " . Shakespear has written SUN , not SON . He is jealous of Edward the 4th and Edward's lifestyle and persons seeing Edward as as a ray of sunshine . Gloucester is portrayed by Shakespeare as a hunchback and unattractive . An actor will emphasise the SUN word in a sarcastic way . Edward was of the House of York .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby tracerman » 25 Jun 2022, 13:10

Andy Kev - I think I was brought up to realise that very many words in our Language have their origins in Latin , French and German plus a bit of Viking thrown in . Another beef I have that Proper Nouns should be pronounced in the manner in which they are pronounced in their place of origin . For example why would anyone call LLanelli " lanelly , making no attempt whatsoever at a bit of Welsh . I find it disappointing .

By the way , when I was about ten , I used to pass a car sales place on the bus ( in Southampton ) which had a sign saying " Criterion for Citroen .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Trevanion » 25 Jun 2022, 13:43

tracerman wrote:Another beef I have that Proper Nouns should be pronounced in the manner in which they are pronounced in their place of origin . For example why would anyone call LLanelli " lanelly , making no attempt whatsoever at a bit of Welsh . I find it disappointing .

It can be difficult for non-native Welsh speakers to pronounce words with Ll or Ch, mainly because as far as I'm aware there are no other words in the English language that use similar pronunciations. If you have never used that part of your throat for communication it can be a bit of a learning curve. Commonly I've heard "Llangwm" (Llahn-goom) pronounced as Langham, "Crymych" (Cry-myckh) as Crimitch, "Croesgoch" (Croys-gockh) as Crossgotch... and numerous others.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 25 Jun 2022, 20:53

Tracerman, I agree that it is courteous to pronounce foreign proper nouns in the foreign way. The exception is probably where we have a pronunciation which deviates from the local version e.g. we have Munich for München. The only language where I don't behave in this respect is French, which I tend to pronounce according to English conventions because it amuses me, although I never have and never would do that in the presence of a Frenchman or Frenchwoman as I would not wish to offend them.

Trevanion, I don't think that many non-Welsh speakers would have difficulty with the "ll" sound. It's just a matter of getting the back of the tongue a bit higher in the mouth. The "ch" in the Scottish "loch" is similar. The problem with the other names you list is that unfortunately the average English speaker will have no clue as to the pronunciations from the spelling. The polite thing is probably to ask at the earliest opportunity.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat