It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

Audio streaming issues via wi-fi

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Audio streaming issues via wi-fi

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 07:00

I stream a lot of audio. Source is Qobuz. Listening device is Samsung Galaxy A71 mobile. While walking about the garden, in and out of the workshop, there are times when the audio stream will stop for 2-4 seconds. Then restart for 15-20 seconds and then cut out again and so on. Annoying.

It only happens some days or at some times during the day.

I run a mesh network. Wi-fi strength is good throughout.

I think I've pretty much eliminated Qobuz per se because disabling wi-fi and enabling mobile data plays the same piece of music flawlessly. And vice-versa. Repeating this several times shows consistently bad streaming on wi-fi but OK on mobile. Ergo Qobuz servers are fine.

I thought that it might have been a glitch while the mobile deregistered and re-registered with a different repeater (mesh node) but logging the disconnect/connect times down to the second and comparing with the detailed wi-fi connection logs in the router shows no correlation.

So I'm stumped.

Talking to Zen technical I will try an iPhone 7 and see if that shows the same problems at the same time as the Samsung. I only have the one Qobuz account and so cannot listen to the same stream on both devices at the same time though as that would be ideal. Guess I could create another Qobuz account and run a trial thus listening to the same stream simultaneously on both phones. That should eliminate the Samsung?

The only other thing that Zen suggested was that it could be down to the routing in the digisphere and/or gateway but we've pretty much eliminated the latter as I did a factory reset of the router....boy that was fun to sort out afterwards. So they suggested trying a VPN but I've no experience of using one. Any suggestions as to vendor ?

TIA
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Audio streaming issues via wi-fi

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2022, 07:50

Still sounds like a Wi-Fi coverage issue to me, the delay being while your device is reconnecting to the strongest signal across the boundary of one or more mesh nodes.

Check whether there’s any settings on your mesh nodes or Samsung to either dial back, or make the ‘roaming’ or ‘stickiness’ settings to either force your Samsung to stick to a ‘weaker’ signal for longer or to make it less aggressive at roaming for the best signal.

I almost guarantee this is your issue and a VPN will make zero difference, but if you want to test it then I use a VPN and can loan you my credentials to test if you want?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 08:10

TrimTheKing wrote:Still sounds like a Wi-Fi coverage issue to me, the delay being while your device is reconnecting to the strongest signal across the boundary of one or more mesh nodes.

If it was that then the wi-fi log in the router would show a de-registration and re-registration, surely ? But the logs don't show this.

TrimTheKing wrote:Check whether there’s any settings on your mesh nodes or Samsung to either dial back, or make the ‘roaming’ or ‘stickiness’ settings to either force your Samsung to stick to a ‘weaker’ signal for longer or to make it less aggressive at roaming for the best signal.

I'll have a dig around.

TrimTheKing wrote:I almost guarantee this is your issue and a VPN will make zero difference, but if you want to test it then I use a VPN and can loan you my credentials to test if you want?

That's a very kind offer, thanks, Mark. Let's see how testing with the iPhone goes.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2022, 08:40

Not necessarily, a reg/de-reg is the end device doing exactly that, registering or de-registering, what you’re seeing here is devices hopping between AP’s and to my knowledge your device won’t show that behaviour. I may be wrong but I don’t think I am.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 09:03

This is what my router log shows me. -44 is the mobile and you can see it's progress as I walk through the house. The audio stream was uninterrupted as it registered/deregistered. I might be misunderstanding you.

wi fi log.png
(151.42 KiB)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 22 Jun 2022, 10:29

Try a different streaming source and see if the same thing happens?

Could be something with the routing through your ISP. Does internet radio stream fine? free trial with Tidal or spotify or whoever?
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby DaveL » 22 Jun 2022, 10:48

Does it only happen when you are walking about?
If you stay still and it happens then it could be out on the connection from the server to your ISP, maybe the server has a more reliable direct route to the mobile network which does not jump about as much as the one to your ISP.
Remember there is no guarantee that the packets take the same route or that they arrive in the correct order, the local end has to sort out the order.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 12:33

Robert wrote:Try a different streaming source and see if the same thing happens?

Could be something with the routing through your ISP. Does internet radio stream fine? free trial with Tidal or spotify or whoever?

That's on my list of things to check.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 12:34

DaveL wrote:Does it only happen when you are walking about?
If you stay still and it happens then it could be out on the connection from the server to your ISP, maybe the server has a more reliable direct route to the mobile network which does not jump about as much as the one to your ISP.
Remember there is no guarantee that the packets take the same route or that they arrive in the correct order, the local end has to sort out the order.

Static and walking ...the same.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2022, 21:39

Okay, they use reg/de-reg as their terms for AP hopping then, ignore my comment.

If it happens when you're stood still then the chaps' comments on internet routing could well be the answer, though it's rare you find that.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 22:30

Update.

Tried the iPhone. Same problem. Rules out the phone.

Tried a VPN (ExpressVPN) ...thought it was sorted but then the problem returned (it is intermittent)

So that seems to be pointing to the network in the house as you suggested. But TBH I have run out of ideas.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Jun 2022, 22:32

Do you ever listen just sitting in one place for any length of time? Does it happen then if so?

Is it fairly easy to replicate, as in happen regularly?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 22 Jun 2022, 22:40

Yes...for example in the workshop is where I usually listen most of the time.

No, it's not easy to replicate. Some days it seems to be OK but then a day like today, it was pretty consistent. But it even happened earlier when I had the phone at my desk and secured to a different repeater.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 23 Jun 2022, 00:07

Roger,

Do you have anything that is hard wired that you can use to listen to the stream?
That would allow you to check if it is the WIFI or external to your network.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 10:53

DaveL wrote:Roger,

Do you have anything that is hard wired that you can use to listen to the stream?
That would allow you to check if it is the WIFI or external to your network.

Funny you should suggest that, Dave, as that was exactly my plan for today !

To exclude every possible variable, I created a new Qobuz account. Played the same piece of music on that account (mobile/wi-fi) and simultaneously had my other Qobuz account playing the same piece of music on my laptop connected via Ethernet to the main router. The mobile was right by the router and I had switched off wi-fi then back on to clear down the connection so that the mobile should access the main router for its wi-fi.

The result ?

mobile - faulty

laptop - perfect

So Mark nailed it on the head in an earlier post but what to do ? Just me in the house. Nothing much else going on to create interference. No houses with conflicting wi-fi channels.

:eusa-think:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Jun 2022, 11:24

What to do?
Hardwire speakers throughout the house and garden. :)
You've no neighbours to complain about the noise.

I’m still technically illiterate enough to buy hard copies of all the music I want to listen to. 1000’s of tunes on my mobile and BT to headphones or speakers as required. Always listen with shuffle on. The idea of having anything on a subscription service, for some reason, I find difficult to come to terms with.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 11:31

Andyp wrote:What to do?

I’m still technically illiterate enough to buy hard copies of all the music I want to listen to. 1000’s of tunes on my mobile and BT to headphones or speakers as required. Always listen with shuffle on. The idea of having anything on a subscription service, for some reason, I find difficult to come to terms with.

One aspect of Qobuz is that it introduces me to new music. They feature New releases. Discover .... Playlists etc but one of the best features is that you can elect for it to autoplay 'similar' music at the end of the current LP or symphony that one is playing.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 11:34

Just come off the phone from Zen technical and a passing comment by the lass made my ears prick up and a lightbulb moment as to the possible cause.

We shall see....it would explain why there never seemed to be any rhyme or reason as to when it would exhibit the problem.

I'll let you guys ponder as to what it might be that is causing it. ;)

Fingers crossed.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Jun 2022, 12:24

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:What to do?

One aspect of Qobuz is that it introduces me to new music. They feature New releases. Discover .... Playlists etc but one of the best features is that you can elect for it to autoplay 'similar' music at the end of the current LP or symphony that one is playing.

You've try to sell it to me before Rog. Maybe I should rephrase by statement. Instead of technically illiterate I should stay musically boring who CBA to discover new stuff. I'm firmly stuck in the 70's and 80's.

Hope your solution works.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 16:15

Question re data rates.....what wi-fi data rate should I need to stream CD quality music ?

Thought we'd cracked it earlier today when the Zen technical lass mentioned radar .... :idea: ...who's just up the road playing electronic warfare warriors. Got really excited since the drop out was totally random. So switched off 5GHz completely. Thought it was all good but then :(

So currently monitoring the wi-fi throughput at the phonbe to see if there is any correlation hence my question.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jun 2022, 16:51

https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us/article ... in-Hi-Res-

Your previous screenshot shows you're getting full whack, 433Mbps from device to AP, so what is your download speed from ISP?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 17:22

TrimTheKing wrote:https://help.qobuz.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001669091-Do-I-need-a-good-internet-connection-to-stream-in-Hi-Res-

Your previous screenshot shows you're getting full whack, 433Mbps from device to AP, so what is your download speed from ISP?

About 8Mbps.

I don't know how believable that 433 Mbps is TBH. I'm upstairs and my WiFi test app is showing 46Mbps from that repeater which is downstairs in the room below.

My reason for asking is that I was measuring the wifi outside as I wandered about and it was gradually dropping down to 14Mbps and that got me wondering if that is my problem ?

We've got this set-up for instance

Router > Rstudy repeater > Workshop repeater > Ubiquiti for outside. That's a big ask I guess. I need to measure the wifi strength in the workshop when that starts to play up.

Thing is between the workshop and indoors is a bloody great thick wall plus foil-backed plasterboard. The router is on the ground floor the other side of that lot. The repeater in my study is actually on the first floor and so I reckon that the wifi is being picked up in the workshop by it arriving via the study window and workshop (unshielded) roof.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 17:56

OK...news just in.

Workshop...showing datarate of 60 Mbps but when it fails, latency goes well over 250mS and the report shows 100% packet loss.

I have no idea what is going on here.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jun 2022, 18:08

RogerS wrote:OK...news just in.

Workshop...showing datarate of 60 Mbps but when it fails, latency goes well over 250mS and the report shows 100% packet loss.

What’s the nearest AP to the workshop? Sounds like that is losing connectivity momentarily. I suspect you have a boundary issue where repeaters are not quite getting full signal and are flipping between each other to form the mesh.

I assume very few of your repeaters and mesh devices are hardwired back to the router, and are just using Wi-Fi to talk to each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2022, 18:16

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:OK...news just in.

What’s the nearest AP to the workshop?

R study

TrimTheKing wrote:...
I assume very few of your repeaters and mesh devices are hardwired back to the router, and are just using Wi-Fi to talk to each other?

None of them are hardwired. All the ones inside the house are rock-solid although R study is rarely used ...only connected to the two printers..and so if it was losing connection (which I doubt) but worth further investigation.

I have never seen the workshop connect to anything other than R study.

There is a wee hole through the wall and so tomorrow I'm going to shift the main router to line up with that and hope it's wifi is stronger than R study.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat