It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:50

Spectacles

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Spectacles

Postby MY63 » 09 Aug 2022, 18:53

Went for my eye test today no good news not only has my prescription changed but I have early signs of cataracts. The Optician reccomended new lenses as well as prescription sunglasses.
I bought a new pair last year as I had scratched the others, I just bought the same frames as I liked them, Actually I have three Ray Ban frames that I really like so rather than pay £220 at Tesco specsavers to have them re glazed as sunglasses I was thinking of trying glasses direct or similar does anyone have any experience?
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Spectacles

Postby 9fingers » 09 Aug 2022, 19:08

I've always used internet specs or specsavers basic frames.never paid more than £20-25quid
Unless you have a extreme prescription that needs high refractive index blanks you should not have to pay more than that.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Aug 2022, 19:36

MY63 wrote:Went for my eye test today no good news not only has my prescription changed but I have early signs of cataracts. The Optician reccomended new lenses as well as prescription sunglasses.
I bought a new pair last year as I had scratched the others, I just bought the same frames as I liked them, Actually I have three Ray Ban frames that I really like so rather than pay £220 at Tesco specsavers to have them re glazed as sunglasses I was thinking of trying glasses direct or similar does anyone have any experience?

I've tried the cheapie glasses people in the past and have had pretty poor service and frames. SS is bloody expensive, but you do gets what you pays for; decent service, a proper and comprehensive eye test, a vast variety of different frames/lenses and the ability to back to the store at any time to have your bins adjusted. They also do a 'try on' service online now which is a new one on me! I'm going to SS in town next week and will be opting for titanium frames, 'Reactolight' lenses (no need for sunnies), varifocals and I usually have lenses made much thinner than standard...may even get a 2 for 1 jobbie and get a pair of really dark, aviator sunnies. Spendy but worth it in my view - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 09 Aug 2022, 20:43

As you've already had your eye test and presumably have your prescription there's no need to pay over inflated prices. It's a long time since I wore specs but I had them done then by a company in Kingston Park trading est Michael and they were excellent, when I had my eyes lasered they fitted sunglasses lenses into 2 pairs of my old frames and they were excellent quality, plenty of choice and good service. I couldn't remember the name b ut a quick search and I'm pretty sure this is the company. https://onspec.co.uk/
There was another at TVTE
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 10 Aug 2022, 07:40

I get my glasses from a manufacturer who happens to be in the next town, he makes lenses for all the local opticians.
He reckons most of the big players use fairly inferior lenses but the main issue is the fitting, you know the bit where a semi trained shop assistant gets a ruler out?

First glasses I bought from him were his best quality lenses and were exactly half boots price that came with a staff discount that boots offered all practice nurses like her majesty. Never been anywhere else since.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Aug 2022, 09:47

I thought that the variability in frames...eg different side arm lengths etc had long gone. That the available choice of sizes was limited now.

My lenses now are mucho-spendy :( prismatic :( :(
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 10 Aug 2022, 10:39

Thanks Guys
I am going to visit the OnSpec people that Lons reccomended as they are local to me, I have 5 rayban frames from when I used to fall for the two for one offers. The single being last year.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 16 Aug 2022, 09:54

Just a quick update, I visited Onspec and spoke to a very nice gentleman, He checked my current spectacles and my new prescription.
He remarked that they were only one step apart, He mentioned that you could have an eye test in the morning and one in the afternoon and be one step apart.
Specsavers were quite clever they said your prescrition has changed would you like to look at new spectacles.
I did not ask by how much has my prescription changed.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Phil Pascoe » 16 Aug 2022, 10:29

I've always found Specsavers honest - they've always said when my eyes haven't changed enough to justify new glasses (again, a couple of months ago). I paid £10 for a scan of my eyes that apparently does it in greater detail than the machine used for diabetic retinal scanning - quite fascinating.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Lons » 16 Aug 2022, 10:31

I'm not sure "clever" would be the word I'd use for Specsavers in this instance, definitely looks like sharp practice. Were you suitably impressed with Onspec Michael? Since I posted that link I found out two mates have happily used them for several years.

Like Phil though when I had an eye test in March for my C1 driving licence renewal I also paid for the extra scan though I wasn't impressed that they also charged me an extra tenner to sign the bottom of the DVLA form even though it's only a small charge.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 16 Aug 2022, 10:42

Lons wrote:.....I wasn't impressed that they also charged me an extra tenner to sign the bottom of the DVLA form even though it's only a small charge.

You're making the assumption that all these new-fangled chains of opticians like Specsavers have your interests at heart.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Aug 2022, 11:29

Just back from SS. Thorough and all encompassing eye check; no problems although now, after six years, my prescription has changed so it was time for new gogs. 'Timberland' black designer frames, 'reaction' lenses, varifocals and super duper thin lenses which was, all told, a bit spendy!

Then the very nice young lady did me a deal and knocked 20% off everything. Happy days :eusa-dance: - Rob

Edit - on previous examinations over the last few years, the prescription hadn't changed enough to warrant new gogs and SS told me so.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 16 Aug 2022, 12:16

Woodbloke wrote:.....
Then the very nice young lady did me a deal and knocked 20% off everything. Happy days :eusa-dance: - Rob

Sounds as if she might have worked for a double-glazing company before, Rob ? ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mr P » 16 Aug 2022, 13:09

The trouble with my local Specsavers in town is time, the last time I went I was kept waiting for an hour, and when you've paiď for 2 hours parking ( mentioning this didn't make any difference)it becomes a race back to the car to avoid getting a ticket, ( just beat the warden). Swore I'd never use them again. Now go to Asda, eye test while wife does the shopping.
Mr P
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Aug 2022, 13:38

RogerS wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:.....

Sounds as if she might have worked for a double-glazing company before, Rob ? ;)

Dry hole Roger, far too pretty :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 16 Aug 2022, 14:23

I am going to the hospital for my diabetic eye review this afternoon so will be able to compair the tests.
Onspec were excellent and around £80 cheaper than SS for the sunglasses option rising to £100 cheaper for the reactolite option. This was for reglaze only.
I guess everyones experience will be different.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 16 Aug 2022, 14:34

I’m pretty certain specsavers is a franchise operation so whilst the company will have certain guideline to stay within, there will be variations from store to store.
Their manufacturing arm is similarly organised with each optician being able to procure lenses from lens suppliers of their choice

A few years back I had a tour of the southampton manufacturing plant that is fully automated and relatively few staff acting as little more than machine minders. The lens blanks are put into a barcoded tray and sent down miles of conveyers through the processes. There are even track sidings up in the roof space for when the lenses need resting/cooling/drying time before they go on their way to the next stage.
Absolutely fascinating to watch it all happening.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat