It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:19

So what's the difference between...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

So what's the difference between...

Postby Eric the Viking » 17 Aug 2022, 10:38

an unripe tomato and a snail?
About ten minutes, it seems. Grrr.

Where did they all come from? It hadn't even started raining properly yesterday, when one was making its way purposefully across our small patio. I thought they'd all shrivelled up in the heat - no such luck.

We're very proud of our resident frog, which my wife gently waters if she's doing the pot plants and it's out & about. It's been doing a great job on the slugs, but all attempts to incline it towards French cuisine have sadly failed - it might be just too much garlic (or possibly that they know 'other things' end up on the menu too).

I fear I shall be back to lobbing them high over the fence onto next door's concrete garage apron (which next door never use, thankfully). All evidence of the crash landings is gone by the morning, so somebody must like them.

Ho hum.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Re: So what's the difference between...

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Aug 2022, 11:04

The birds down our way are partial to snails and slugs. Very high risk for a snail to emerge in daylight. The blackbirds grab them, smash and gobble. When doing the apples last night, three small to medium sized slugs were trying to escape the bucket. A Robin pitched up, waited for each slug to reach the rim and then promptly ate them. Paid no attention to us - less than 2 feet away - at all.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 17 Aug 2022, 14:58

My ducks love them! (Snails rather than tomatoes, its my daughter we have to fend off them!)

Any time i find one in an area out of bounds to the ducks i take them down, call and the ducks come running to get them.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 18 Aug 2022, 07:12

We have a couple of Hadeda's (Ibis) that roam the garden picking up and eating the snails.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Eric the Viking » 18 Aug 2022, 07:40

Phil wrote:We have a couple of Hadeda's (Ibis) that roam the garden picking up and eating the snails.

Now there's an idea!

:-)

E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat