It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:22

Account Confirmations

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Account Confirmations

Postby Trevanion » 26 Nov 2020, 11:48

A friend of mine has registered a few days ago and apparently their account has still not been confirmed, I understand this is a manual process and can take time but they’d like to join up and start posting! :D
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Account Confirmations

Postby 9fingers » 26 Nov 2020, 12:00

Trevanion wrote:A friend of mine has registered a few days ago and apparently their account has still not been confirmed, I understand this is a manual process and can take time but they’d like to join up and start posting! :D

Please PM me some details and I will investigate.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Nov 2020, 12:28

Sorted. I just haven't looked at them for a week or so as generally it's all Russian spam accounts. All new accounts now approved.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Nov 2020, 12:32

There have been major ructions elsewhere so there may well be other new members arriving soon. A few have asked me for directions to here. 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Nov 2020, 12:33

There were 12 new accounts I approved, so I think the migration season has begun...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 26 Nov 2020, 12:45

I know we have a manual system covering the first three posts a newcomer makes, but I wonder if that is the best answer. Accounts have to be verified/ authorised manually, so that sifts out most of the spammers. Couldn't we let people just post in the normal way after that, and rely on the report system to deal with any spammers who get through? I worry that a somewhat clunky user experience in the first few posts might put people off. I know that if I signed up for somewhere and my posts didn't appear immediately I posted them I would probably trot off to pastures new.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 26 Nov 2020, 12:52

Mike G wrote:I know we have a manual system covering the first three posts a newcomer makes, but I wonder if that is the best answer. Accounts have to be verified/ authorised manually, so that sifts out most of the spammers. Couldn't we let people just post in the normal way after that, and rely on the report system to deal with any spammers who get through? I worry that a somewhat clunky user experience in the first few posts might put people off. I know that if I signed up for somewhere and my posts didn't appear immediately I posted them I would probably trot off to pastures new.

Mike, It is a compromise but 3 posts under moderation is quite common elsewhere too and a useful safeguard.
Human spammers still get through the manual process but are rarely smart enough to post 3 credible items before resorting to spam or worse still posting the sort of material we dont want our kids to see.

To be honest if folk dont have the patience to wait a while for their first few post to appear, then are they type to appreciate our slow gentle way of life in here?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Nov 2020, 12:54

Mike G wrote:I know we have a manual system covering the first three posts a newcomer makes, but I wonder if that is the best answer. Accounts have to be verified/ authorised manually, so that sifts out most of the spammers. Couldn't we let people just post in the normal way after that, and rely on the report system to deal with any spammers who get through? I worry that a somewhat clunky user experience in the first few posts might put people off. I know that if I signed up for somewhere and my posts didn't appear immediately I posted them I would probably trot off to pastures new.

They're not talking about the speed of post approvals, they're talking about account approvals. That's on me because I just haven't checked them for a little while.

When a new account posts the Mod's get alerted and they, in most cases, are approved within minutes at the most. If you saw the account approval screen Mike you wouldn't be quite so sure about how easy it is to weed out the spammers. Some are obvious by their dodgy email addresses, usernames or IP addresses, but you'd be surprised just how many stupid and nonsensical email addresses some of our genuine users have.

I also wrote the same stuff as Bob but have deleted that as it's already been said.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Trevanion » 26 Nov 2020, 12:56

Thanks for sorting that out chaps, mucho appreciated! :eusa-dance:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Peri » 02 Jan 2021, 08:28

While the account is still waiting to be approved, if you try and log in you get a message along the lines of "This account is inactive, if you have a problem please contact a moderator".

If you look on the forum and try to contact a moderator, you get another message like "To contact this person you must be logged in".

(I know you can reply to the original email you got when registering, but it took me 3 days to realize that!)

Would it be worth putting a contact email in the "This account is inactive" message you get when you can't log in?
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Mike G » 02 Jan 2021, 10:17

Surely the wording shouldn't be "this account is inactive", as that would just put some genuine posters off. Couldn't it say something like "this account is awaiting full confirmation. The first 3 posts require moderator approval. Any questions please contact mods via email at......"
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jan 2021, 11:01

Steve makes a valid point but we also have to balance the slight inconvenience whilst Mark gets round to approving new members against the large no of spammer applications we get and giving them another email address to attack.

@MikeG some of the email wording is provided by the PHPBB system so not sure if we can change this?

We are looking into the possibility of the Mods being able to help relieve some of the load on Mark as far as new approvals but it appears complex and we are not quite there yet.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Peri » 02 Jan 2021, 17:12

No worries mate - I ran a forum in the past, I know what a pain in the harris a lot of it can be :)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests