It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:27

Anyone else having problems?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Re: Anyone else having problems?

Postby Mike G » 13 Feb 2021, 21:35

Have you fiddled with anything, Mark?

The problem seems cured. I haven't had an issue all day. I haven't changed anything at all since yesterday, when it was a complete nightmare, and haven't even switched off the computer in the interim. Maybe, just maybe, we're out of the woods, and I can look forward to actually posting some woodwork.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Feb 2021, 21:39

Mike G wrote:Have you fiddled with anything, Mark?

The problem seems cured. I haven't had an issue all day. I haven't changed anything at all since yesterday, when it was a complete nightmare, and haven't even switched off the computer in the interim. Maybe, just maybe, we're out of the woods, and I can look forward to actually posting some woodwork.

Nope, I’s touched nuffink guv!

Welcome to the world of computers and troubleshooting! I’ve lost count of the number of times issues just go away as quickly as they arrive with nary a by your leave!

Let’s keep an eye on it for a bit because the cynic in me isn’t convinced we’ve seen the last of your gremlin...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 14 Feb 2021, 08:10

If Mike hasn’t changed anything and Mark hasn’t changed anything then the ball is surely back in BT’s court.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 14 Feb 2021, 08:17

Andyp wrote:If Mike hasn’t changed anything and Mark hasn’t changed anything then the ball is surely back in BT’s court.

Mike might not have changed anything but that's not to say that Windows on his PC has decided to change something, somewhere, somehow. I doubt it's external to Mike since his wife's PC works fine.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Deejay » 14 Feb 2021, 10:11

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:If Mike hasn’t changed anything and Mark hasn’t changed anything then the ball is surely back in BT’s court.

Mike might not have changed anything but that's not to say that Windows on his PC has decided to change something, somewhere, somehow. I doubt it's external to Mike since his wife's PC works fine.

Morning all

A straw to clutch.

Microsoft's monthly quality updates.

Perhaps Mike could check the update history to see if/when they were installed.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 14 Feb 2021, 10:26

Can I suggest, if you don't do so already, that, until you have complete confidence that the issue is resolved, you copy your posts before you hit submit.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Feb 2021, 10:48

Andyp wrote:

Can I suggest, if you don't do so already, that, until you have complete confidence that the issue is resolved, you copy your posts before you hit submit.

Mike was seeing the issue within seconds every time we looked at something new in his machine the other day so if he’s been clear all day then that is a monumental improvement. I agree it’s not 100% proof but it’s much better than previous.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 14 Feb 2021, 17:53

Mike,
It's just occured to me to ask are you using HTTP:// or HTTPS:// to connect to TWH2?

If you were using the latter then your browser might have objected/flagged a problem as the S on the end means it is looking for an SSL certificate when we currently don't have one. Add that to the possibility of hyper active security settings on your PC and it could explain your issue.

I always use http:// for THW2 and other sites where there is little or no need for security and save HTTPS:// for where it is such as banking and personal ID stuff.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2021, 18:49

Bob, I've no idea. I just click on my bookmark which takes me to the Board Index page. I would have got the bookmark originally by navigating to the page via a search engine, then clicking the bookmark icon.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Feb 2021, 19:19

Mike G wrote:Bob, I've no idea. I just click on my bookmark which takes me to the Board Index page. I would have got the bookmark originally by navigating to the page via a search engine, then clicking the bookmark icon.

The address you are taken to should be right under your nose in the browser address bar towards the top of your screen and visible for every page you visit.
Not hidden.
I’m only trying to help
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 14 Feb 2021, 19:24

9fingers wrote:
Mike G wrote:Bob, I've no idea. I just click on my bookmark which takes me to the Board Index page. I would have got the bookmark originally by navigating to the page via a search engine, then clicking the bookmark icon.

The address you are taken to should be right under your nose in the browser address bar towards the top of your screen and visible for every page you visit.
Not hidden.
I’m only trying to help
Bob

It maybe hidden as a number of new browsers hide the http.hell, my phone hides the www.. i get a little warning symbol instead.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 14 Feb 2021, 19:37

As does the ipad. Safari address bar just reads www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk. Preceded with the words Not Secure

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 14 Feb 2021, 20:45

OK I'm used to a browser that tells me where I am in full as well as where any link will take me should I click on it. Seems common sense to do so

However installing chrome which I think Mike is using, the trick is to right click on the bookmark, scroll down and click edit and the full destination is shown.

Obviously don't edit it but tell us what it says, then close the window.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2021, 20:50

9fingers wrote:The address you are taken to should be right under your nose in the browser address bar towards the top of your screen and visible for every page you visit.

This is what I see in my address bar (along with a padlock with a red line through it):

www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f ... 956#p85956

I’m only trying to help

I know. I didn't question that for a second.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2021, 20:52

9fingers wrote:.....However installing chrome which I think Mike is using.....

I've swapped to Firefox a few days ago. (That didn't coincide with the problem going away, though.)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Feb 2021, 20:56

Have you still got Chrome installed as well Mike? The interesting bit will be to see the full address that you were using when you were having problems.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Feb 2021, 21:25

I see where you’re going Bob but it doesn’t matter. If you type http or https and it doesn’t exist then one of two things will happen (in every browser) it will either error or it will redirect you, it wouldn’t cause intermittent issues.

I appreciate your thought process but in this instance it’s not one to burn any more effort on. Let’s wait and see if Mike stays issue free and when the SSL cert comes through whether that changes anything.

I would be interested though to understand if any updates have been applied in the past 24-48 hours though.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 14 Feb 2021, 21:27

No, I cleared it completely from the system. And now Imgur isn't working for me, so that probably doesn't like Firefox! :evil:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Feb 2021, 21:28

Mike G wrote:No, I cleared it completely from the system. And now Imgur isn't working for me, so that probably doesn't like Firefox! :evil:

When you say “isn’t working” in what way Mike?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 14 Feb 2021, 21:44

TrimTheKing wrote:I see where you’re going Bob but it doesn’t matter. If you type http or https and it doesn’t exist then one of two things will happen (in every browser) it will either error or it will redirect you, it wouldn’t cause intermittent issues.

I appreciate your thought process but in this instance it’s not one to burn any more effort on. Let’s wait and see if Mike stays issue free and when the SSL cert comes through whether that changes anything.

I would be interested though to understand if any updates have been applied in the past 24-48 hours though.

In my browser if you ask for http and there is no certificate it connects fine.
if you ask for https and there is no certificate, a padlock lights up red as a warning. I the event that a cert is there but out of date it asks if you want to accept an exception or quit. This is a development of Netscape which has been my browser of choice since late 80s as at the time, it was the only one with integrated mail and what we used at work on the good old mac plus machines.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Feb 2021, 22:38

Yep, as I said, if it doesn’t exist it will redirect you to the one that does exist. What other messages it gives you will depend on the browser but none of the options will cause the issues Mike was seeing.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 15 Feb 2021, 09:10

TrimTheKing wrote:
Mike G wrote:No, I cleared it completely from the system. And now Imgur isn't working for me, so that probably doesn't like Firefox! :evil:

When you say “isn’t working” in what way Mike?

I can no longer upload images from my computer into Imgur.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Feb 2021, 09:11

..........and now my original forum problem has returned. :x :x
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Feb 2021, 09:11

Test:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Feb 2021, 09:39

Now I got this error message:

General Error
You are not allowed to access this file.

Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: admin@thewoodhaven2.co.uk
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests