It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:40

Imgur. Help please.

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Imgur. Help please.

Postby Mike G » 26 Feb 2021, 20:24

I'm afraid it's me again, with another computer problem. Showing that I am not a slow learner, however, I have already gone through some of the obvious diagnostics mentioned last time, so I have narrowed the issues down.

The problem is with Imgur, the image hosting site. I can't upload images to it any more from my PC. I can access everything else on the site, and have no trouble signing in, or copy-pasting URLs from my albums on the site into the forum....but uploading doesn't work.

Now, I know it is a setting on my computer, because I have successfully accessed my account from my wife's computer, and uploaded a photo without issue. I wrote to Imgur a week or more ago, and received the following response:

Thanks so much for writing in to report this, I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with uploading content. As a note, we have a currently Known Issue preventing uploads on desktop if their filename contains special characters. If that is not your issue, please follow standard troubleshooting below.

Is it possible that this issue could be related to your browser? Just to be sure, please make sure that your browser is fully updated, you have JavaScript turned on and you may want to disable add-ons/extensions in case one is conflicting. To narrow down whether it’s your browser or something on our side, you could also try it from another computer or browser to see if you have the same problem. Clearing cache and cookies for Imgur pages can also be helpful.

I know that it isn't the "special characters" thing, because changing the name of my images to names without any characters other than lower case letters didn't change the result. Also, I disabled Adblock Plus on their site (although I've used it there for years), and that made no difference. I have tried with both Firefox and Opera.....precisely the same result.

I'm not 100% clear about checking Javascript, but I followed some online advice and I'm pretty sure everything was set to enable Javascript to run.

What I haven't done is clear the cache and cookies. I really don't want to do this generally for my entire computer.....so if someone can help me remove just the specific cookies and cache elements that apply to Imgur I would be very grateful. Other than this any thoughts would be much appreciated. This problem has prevented me posting a large WIP of my greenhouse build, so any assistance will be much appreciated.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Imgur. Help please.

Postby Phil » 26 Feb 2021, 21:16

Sorry, no help on that one.

But, my browser clears all history, cookies etc when closing.
Why would this be a problem?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby spb » 26 Feb 2021, 23:16

In Firefox: from the menu, open Options. Go to Privacy & Security in the left-hand list, then scroll down to Cookies and Site Data. Click 'Manage Data'. In the window that opens up, start typing the name of the domain you want to clear in to the search box. Once it appears in the list, select it, then click 'Remove Selected' in the bottom corner.

Can't help with Opera, as I've not used it in nigh on 20 years.
spb
Nordic Pine

Name: Stephen

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 09:24

Thanks Stephen. I did that successfully, but unfortunately it has made no difference. I really don't know what else I can do now.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 27 Feb 2021, 10:28

What image type are you trying to upload, regular JPEGs, or something more obscure?
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 10:33

Yep, just Jpgs.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 27 Feb 2021, 10:37

Try uploading an image to https://imgbb.com/ and see if the issue is localised entirely to Imgur or whether you have an uploading problem on your end.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Feb 2021, 10:51

Mike, If you would care to email me one of the images that you are having trouble with, I can try and upload to my imgur account and furthermore if you want to give me access to your account, I can try uploading there too.

I also have three browsers installed so can compare those too.

HTH
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 27 Feb 2021, 13:44

Who is going to be the first on here to suggest Mike gets a new computer :)

Only kidding I am sure the collective can get you sorted.

I have two identical laptops here one allows duplex printing the other not and the printer setup wont load over WIFI. Grrrrrrrr! :evil: So I feel you pain.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 14:22

Andyp wrote:Who is going to be the first on here to suggest Mike gets a new computer :)

It's only a couple of years old, and with very little on it. All the issues are about pilot error or stupid upgrades spoiling stuff that worked perfectly well.

This Imgur issue only raised its head after all the messing around I did in the process of trying to get this forum to work properly, so logically it is a setting I have altered, or something to do with Firefox (and Opera) after I swapped from Google Chrome. I've used Imgur for years without issue (I've over 7000 images stored on it).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby spb » 27 Feb 2021, 14:46

What happens when you try to upload to Imgur? That is, walk us through the individual steps you're taking and what happens in response to each one. The first step in solving the problem is figuring out exactly where it's going wrong.
spb
Nordic Pine

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 15:06

I open my account and go to "Images", click "Add Images", and get the normal pop-up which asks "Browse or drag images here". I browse to the folder containing the images, and drag one onto the pop-up.......and get a red circle with a line through it in place of the usual thumbnail of my image at the tool-tip/ cursor. Nothing happens when I let go the image (ie "unclick").

I also tried endlessly to copy and paste the image from the folder into the same place, with no "no-entry" sign this time, but no result either. Sometimes, at this point, the screen goes darker and all controls freeze, which resolves with a refresh.

All the images are resized, as I've always done, and none have special characters in the name. Renaming them doesn't help.

In the old days when "print screen" worked from the keypad I'd have done a series of screenshots showing the steps, but W10 has made that a bit more complicated. I'll do it if it would help.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Feb 2021, 15:21

Mike I followed your method exactly and got the same result a no entry sign.

I think the problem is that you are mixing "browse" for an image and then try to do a "drag and drop"

Once you have browsed the photo, select it and press "open" within W10 or just double click the photo

It should then upload OK

Let me know if that works

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby spb » 27 Feb 2021, 15:21

What happens if, instead of dragging the image, you click 'Browse' and choose it from the open file dialogue?
spb
Nordic Pine

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 15:25

Ooh, hang on a sec, we might be onto something.
Last edited by Mike G on 27 Feb 2021, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 Feb 2021, 15:28

Yeah almost certainly.
Pure drag and drop works and pure browse works

The pop up does say "or" not "and" You have to be coldly logical with these bl00dy computers

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 27 Feb 2021, 19:29

It doesn't work on the drag and drop at all for me. However, the "Browse" & "Return" option does work, so we're up and running again. Many thanks Stephen and Bob. It's a clunky work-around because you can only select 4 images at a time otherwise it "hangs", and hitting return closes the dialogue box, so there is lots more clicking required than the old way. But at least I can post WIPs again.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests