It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:59

If it fits, is that good enough?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

If it fits, is that good enough?

Postby Mike G » 24 Mar 2021, 15:03

My two cameras, and my GPS, all connect to my computer via a lead for various functions I needn't bore you with. They are all different brands, and all came with their own individual leads, which I have been scrupulous in using each time I need to link the item to the PC. A few days ago, however, I accidentally used the camera lead for my GPS......and it worked perfectly well. I didn't notice until I was taking it out to attach something else.

They've all got the same mini-connector at the opposite end to the USB, but two have a cylindrical thingie on the cable, of differing sizes, and one doesn't.

So my question, as per the title, is does it make any difference if I just use the one lead for all three bits of kit?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: If it fits, is that good enough?

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Mar 2021, 15:13

If they are all USB-A (the rectangle shape that goes into the computer end) at one end and USB Micro A or B at the other end (see diagram below), then you can use the same cable for all devices. The cylindrical thing is usually a ferrite choke to stop interference.

2-4.jpeg
(12.12 KiB)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dr.Al » 24 Mar 2021, 15:24

TrimTheKing wrote:If they are all USB-A (the rectangle shape that goes into the computer end) at one end and USB Micro A or B at the other end (see diagram below), then you can use the same cable for all devices. The cylindrical thing is usually a ferrite choke to stop interference.

2-4.jpeg

What he said, with one caveat. There are some cables around that are designed just for charging. These typically only have two wires going down the cable (sometimes of a heavier gauge to allow more current to pass). If you use them on something that wants to send data down the cable, it won't work (but it won't damage anything).

Short answer is yes: if it's USB it'll be fine; if it doesn't work get another cable!
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Mar 2021, 15:26

Dr.Al wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:If they are all USB-A (the rectangle shape that goes into the computer end) at one end and USB Micro A or B at the other end (see diagram below), then you can use the same cable for all devices. The cylindrical thing is usually a ferrite choke to stop interference.

2-4.jpeg

What he said, with one caveat. There are some cables around that are designed just for charging. These typically only have two wires going down the cable (sometimes of a heavier gauge to allow more current to pass). If you use them on something that wants to send data down the cable, it won't work (but it won't damage anything).

Short answer is yes: if it's USB it'll be fine; if it doesn't work get another cable!

Yep agreed. I based my answer on the fact they were all the correct cables supplied with the devices but you're absolutely right of course.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 24 Mar 2021, 16:44

Excellent, chaps, thanks very much indeed. That's actually really handy, because 2 of the cables are annoyingly short, but the third is a nice long convenient length, and I can now just leave it permanently plugged in to the front of the PC.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2021, 17:22

Just to add to the picture/confusion, some cables use a form of electrical identifcation buit into one end of the other to indicate "authenticity"
This is a favourite Apple trick. Quite often it is one or two resistors built in at one end or the other that the device can measure and only behave properly when the OEM lead is connected.
Naturally the Chinese fake leads only took a short while to catch on and copy this but is has left a trail of leads that fit mechanically and yet don't fully function in use.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby novocaine » 24 Mar 2021, 17:57

Luckily not many companies other than apple bothered.
But i guess not as many companies insist on changing there plug every few years either any nore what qoth them all buying in to usb C as the defacto industry standard (even sony of the betamax fame did).

Bloody apple.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodster » 24 Mar 2021, 18:17

novocaine wrote:Luckily not many companies other than apple bothered.
But i guess not as many companies insist on changing there plug every few years either any nore what qoth them all buying in to usb C as the defacto industry standard (even sony of the betamax fame did).

Bloody apple.

Given the number of cases of cheap Chinese knock offs catching fire I don’t blame Apple at all. All their devices I’ve bought came with a charger and cable anyway so where’s the issue? Unless of course it’s non Apple users having a go again? ;)

Interestingly I bought a new camera last year and it has a single plug socket on it that accepts two different size plugs. Strange indeed, not seen this before.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2021, 18:26

An issue with the apple phone leads seems that they have a super soft and flexible silicone jacket to the cable which is very nice to use & handle but after a while seems to degrade. The is the lightning to USB charging/data which gets daily use.
Genuine replacements are quite expensive hence the temptation to buy clones.
I know Apple have moved to wireless charging but my old phone needs a hardwired connection.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 24 Mar 2021, 18:31

Given the cost of a single apple cable which is made in the same Chinese factory as that cheap knock off that catches fire yes theres an issue with it. Its also rarely the cable at fault and normally the poor isolation between 240v and 5v in the plug that causes the fire. Dont give me the bullcrap that it has anything what so ever to do woth protecting the end user, if apple (or for that matter samsung, sony or any other major corporation) could make a quick buck by pushing you under a bus theyd be stood by the bus stop waiting (ford pinto).
And no its not just apple bashing from a non apple user.
Last edited by novocaine on 24 Mar 2021, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby John Brown » 24 Mar 2021, 18:34

The last time I got mixed up in this, for USB charging and communication with a device I provided the firmware for, there was actually a USB standard/ convention for indicating charging current capacity by setting voltages on the data lines. It started with Apple, I believe, but was adopted by the USB folks.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Mar 2021, 18:39

John Brown wrote:The last time I got mixed up in this, for USB charging and communication with a device I provided the firmware for, there was actually a USB standard/ convention for indicating charging current capacity by setting voltages on the data lines. It started with Apple, I believe, but was adopted by the USB folks.

Very true, I'd forgotten about that. I came across that in a usb powered hub some years back.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 24 Mar 2021, 18:41

Yes. Theres a tie back in the id line to one of the data pins.
Very clever little trick but i dont think it was apple that came up woth it (they have a seperate line completly for it, it was an update on the FireWire connector i think).
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 24 Mar 2021, 18:50

novocaine wrote:Its also rarely the cable at fault and normally the poor isolation between 240v and 5v in the plug that causes the fire. Dont give me the bullcrap that it has anything what so ever to do woth protecting the end user, if apple (or for that matter samsung, sony or any other major corporation) could make a quick buck by pushing you under a bus theyd be stood by the bus stop waiting (ford pinto).

Not according to this article. And what’s with the obnoxious language, not really needed in a conversation about cables surely?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bj34z5/ ... e-chargers

Battery swell from over charging seems to be a very real problem these days so I’d rather pay a few quid more to buy a genuine item that I know will work properly.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 24 Mar 2021, 19:01

Not obnoxious or at least not intended.

Trying to drive 5a down a cable designed for 2. Funny how you dont see the same from knock off usb b or c cables. Wonder if it has to do with Apple having an increased number of leads crammed in the same space. Or their charge rate data signal that could recognise a cable not rated for high amps but doesnt.

I agree though, its a cable and it isnt worth the effort of an argument on a wood working forum. So ill stop. No intended offence intended woodster. Here, have a beer. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 24 Mar 2021, 19:46

Thanks Dave. I appreciate that. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby John Brown » 25 Mar 2021, 09:40

Woodster wrote:
novocaine wrote:Its also rarely the cable at fault and normally the poor isolation between 240v and 5v in the plug that causes the fire. Dont give me the bullcrap that it has anything what so ever to do woth protecting the end user, if apple (or for that matter samsung, sony or any other major corporation) could make a quick buck by pushing you under a bus theyd be stood by the bus stop waiting (ford pinto).

Not according to this article. And what’s with the obnoxious language, not really needed in a conversation about cables surely?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bj34z5/ ... e-chargers

Battery swell from over charging seems to be a very real problem these days so I’d rather pay a few quid more to buy a genuine item that I know will work properly.

I would take that with a pinch of salt. Most devices like phones have the intelligence for charging in the device. The thing you plug into the wall socket is a dumb power supply. Pretty much every other phone manufacturer seems to manage without proprietary chips in the charging cable. Ok, I believe that Apple use a 12v charger for iPods, and maybe iPhones too.
For me, this is another reason to avoid Apple stuff.
I'm writing this on an Xaiomi(sp) phone that cost me the princely sum of £100. It does everything I need, other than the lack of a built-in bottle opener and corkscrew, but I don't think that even the top-dollar Apple devices have those.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests