It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:45

I Keep Getting Logged Off.

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

I Keep Getting Logged Off.

Postby Vann » 01 Apr 2021, 12:18

Hi. Like the title says, I keep getting logged off. It happens sometimes in the middle of doing a post.

It happened to me a few minutes ago. When I tried to preview a post I was told I was not logged in. Having had that before I know that means I lose everything I've written - so I hit the 'back' button and got the previous screen back (and checked that I was logged in), so I copied everything (ctrl C), went forward to the next screen, logged in again, went back to my now empty preview, pasted everything back into the post - but of course the 10 or so pictures, and their captions, didn't survive.

So I'll need to load the whole lot again.

Cheers from a slightly annoyed Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Re: I Keep Getting Logged Off.

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Apr 2021, 12:26

Clear down the cookies and everything relating to the site then restart your browser and try again. A few people have had this but it isn't forum related. I have checked and confirmed that the edit time is unlimited and there is no login session time limit, so there's no forum reason why you should be logged out.

Fully appreciate the frustration this causes but I can assure you I've looked into this for a couple of other people over the years and it's always been local machine related causes.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 01 Apr 2021, 13:18

Vann, I used to get this a lot when trying to access the forum on my Android phone. I never really found out why but I am now in the habit of copying the text of my posts before I hit submit when I use the phone.

Does this happen with you on all devices?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Vann » 02 Apr 2021, 06:03

Andyp wrote:...Does this happen with you on all devices?
I very seldom post more than a few words from my android phone. If I want to write much I always use a computer. I've been having the problem with the work computer (windows 10 I think) and now having it on the home iMac too.

I'll have to try to find where my cookies are (if the kids haven't eaten them ;) ).

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Vann » 13 Apr 2021, 16:22

Vann wrote:...I'll have to try to find where my cookies are...
I have no idea where to find cookies (iMac) - and I'm finding it really frustrating trying to post (last post took 6-7 attempts - lets see how this one goes).

Cheers, Vann.

Edit: first attempt :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Apr 2021, 17:11

Vann wrote:
Vann wrote:...I'll have to try to find where my cookies are...
I have no idea where to find cookies (iMac) - and I'm finding it really frustrating trying to post (last post took 6-7 attempts - lets see how this one goes).

If you are using Safari on a Mac:
Click Safari in top tool bar
Click Preferences (may be wise to "clear history" whilst you are in that drop down) - this opens a box with a simple menu bar
Click Privacy
Click Manage Website Data
You can choose from here whether to clear all cookies (if you have never done this there could be hundreds) or just selected ones
Click Done
Exit Safari and restart your iMac.
Log back in to WHII

There are other things you can do if the above does not work, but needs a bit more involved intervention.

Good luck

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Apr 2021, 17:36

Bearing in mind were Vann is located could it possibly be the case than one of what must be a multitude of servers between the forum host and his location is tripping out and causing the problem?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Vann » 15 Apr 2021, 08:17

AJB Temple wrote:...If you are using Safari on a Mac:
Click Preferences...

I'm using Firefox on a Mac. I did manage to find 'preferences' and something to do with cookies - but I've yet to find out if I've done any good. By the time I'd rebooted the computer it was time for work (night shift this week), and SWMBO has been on the computer this afternoon so I can't get near it. Doing this from a smartphone (which I hate). And the computer at work (windows 10) has the same cookie problem.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Apr 2021, 11:58

Vann wrote:
AJB Temple wrote:...If you are using Safari on a Mac:
Click Preferences...

I'm using Firefox on a Mac. I did manage to find 'preferences' and something to do with cookies - but I've yet to find out if I've done any good. By the time I'd rebooted the computer it was time for work (night shift this week), and SWMBO has been on the computer this afternoon so I can't get near it. Doing this from a smartphone (which I hate). And the computer at work (windows 10) has the same cookie problem.

Cheers, Vann.

When you say 'the same cookie problem'....are you saying that you keep getting logged out on the Windows machine ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests