It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:04

Photos - Android - Samsung A71

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Photos - Android - Samsung A71

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2021, 09:50

Something has changed in the latest upgrades ...or near recent upgrades.. in the Android system on my phone regarding uploading photos to the forum. Seems to have gone the same way as trying to use photos from an iPhone.

Namely ....Rotation !

I used to simply take the photo from the phone, transfer it to te Mac then upload to the forum. But now, it rotates. If after importing it, I use Preview to rotate left and then rotate right, whatever is confusing the forum s/w is removed.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Photos - Android - Samsung A71

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jul 2021, 10:17

I suspect Android have copied Apple in that the photo is stored in its original orientation as it comes off the ccd and jpeg'ed and a small extra file (in exif maybe) defines the orientation. This is faster and the phone is ready for the next shot all the sooner.

This format is obviously recognised by Apple machines and now by Win10 (but not win7 or earlier)
Its the orientation file that trips up the forum
Not sure why rotation and back again on your mac seems to remove this but maybe it senses the original did not come from a Fruit Fone

The newer version of PHPBB that Mark is looking at should sort this out and the package used by UKW already does it.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2021, 11:13

So out of the camera,

EXIF orientation set to RIGHT (looks upright on the Mac in Preview)

Open in Preview and rotate left, EXIF orientation set to UP (looks rotated on the Mac in Preview)

Open in Preview and rotate right, EXIF orientation still set to UP (looks upright on the Mac in Preview as you'd expect)

So it seems that as soon as you rotate in Preview the orientation gets reset to Up and remains set to Up regardless of future rotations. As an extension of this experiment, I rotated the photo again in Preview. The EXIF orientation remains Up.

20210703_172536.jpg
(330.43 KiB)

but as you'd expect the picture is rotated !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Jul 2021, 12:19

I have had similar issues with my Samsung A20 when Mark first asked us to send examples.

The only way I could get the image the right way up on the forum was to upload the image (it would display rotated) Then save that image back to the iMac then rotate it in photos or preview, then save it and then upload it again.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2021, 12:26

Andyp wrote:I have had similar issues with my Samsung A20 when Mark first asked us to send examples.

The only way I could get the image the right way up on the forum was to upload the image (it would display rotated) Then save that image back to the iMac then rotate it in photos or preview, then save it and then upload it again.

You could miss out a step or two, surely ? Upload to the Mac, rotate once in Preview (either way), rotate back again and then post to the forum.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 Jul 2021, 15:32

Interesting. I meant to strip back the code on my iPhone photos but never got the time. Hopefully we will get drag and drop functionality one day, plus better saving of drafts and other modern functionality. Until then I've decided not to post detailed WIPs any more as I know it irritates readers if photos are the wrong way around.

Oddly Canon have recently done a firmware update on their full frame mirrorless R5 camera model (which shoots 8K video and very high resolution stills) and that has also resulted in incorrect data reading and frame loss in some on-line processing software. So it is not just little camera phones that are affected it seems.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 Jul 2021, 16:20

AJB Temple wrote: Until then I've decided not to post detailed WIPs any more as I know it irritates readers if photos are the wrong way around.

That is a shame. We all know the forum software has issues with interpreting rotation but it is so easy to fix your own photos before uploading.
If even less than the latest OS PCs can do it then surely macs can?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 07 Jul 2021, 16:37

9fingers wrote:
AJB Temple wrote: Until then I've decided not to post detailed WIPs any more as I know it irritates readers if photos are the wrong way around.

That is a shame. We all know the forum software has issues with interpreting rotation but it is so easy to fix your own photos before uploading.
If even less than the latest OS PCs can do it then surely macs can?

Bob

How do photos from the iPhone get into the Mac ? I suspect probably automatically and so it really is a no-brainer and so, so quick.

Go to Preview, select your photo. command-L. Command-R. Save. You can now upload to the forum. You don't even need to save after the first rotate.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 Jul 2021, 17:03

It's not quick. It is tediously slow compared with drag and drop straight from the storage application. I won't go over it again as we have done this to death and I know Mark has various priorities and is on the case, but my personal decision is to avoid WIP posts (eg the oak frame building nearing completion) until drag and drop arrives that make threads easy and quick.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests