It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:45

Empty video space on screen

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Re: Empty video space on screen

Postby RogerS » 11 Oct 2021, 21:20

Malc2098 wrote:I upgraded to Big Sur a while ago. I uploaded a video less than 3 weeks ago and that went OK. It's most recently that this has happened and I haven't, to my knowledge, knowingly changed any settings, and I can't find any settings that would change it anyway.

I haven't been on the the apple community, but there seems to be similar occurrences on the phpBB community, but they seem to be for people designing forums with that software.

Try the Apple community.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Oct 2021, 22:33

Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 22.32.10.png
(73.67 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 12 Oct 2021, 04:30

I think I would have put it in the Safari section. Does anyone else, apart from you, have a Mac Mini ? :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 12 Oct 2021, 11:00

Maybe there’s some stuff here you haven’t tried?

https://support.intego.com/hc/en-us/art ... eb-Browser

In some cases I’ve had to delete hidden files in library to reset stuff in the past. I just remove the file to the desktop so I can put it back if needed but best do a backup first just in case.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/show- ... c-3520878/
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Oct 2021, 11:18

Try pausing Adblock (assuming you have it installed)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 11:22

Woodster wrote:Maybe there’s some stuff here you haven’t tried?

https://support.intego.com/hc/en-us/art ... eb-Browser

In some cases I’ve had to delete hidden files in library to reset stuff in the past. I just remove the file to the desktop so I can put it back if needed but best do a backup first just in case.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/show- ... c-3520878/

Thank you, but I'm on Version 15 which wasn't included in that first link.

I don't think I'm competent to start removing hidden files. This hiatus is more annoying than critical. It hasn't manifested itself anywhere else on my setup, except in The Woodhaven2.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 12 Oct 2021, 11:58

Malc2098 wrote: This hiatus is more annoying than critical. It hasn't manifested itself anywhere else on my setup, except in The Woodhaven2.

Well Malc, we have been trying subtle hints but will have to start making life more awkward for you to drive the message home :lol: :lol:

It's almost sort of mildly satisfying to hear of issues occurring with fruit powered computing devices after all the PC knocking that goes on.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 12:35

9fingers wrote:
Malc2098 wrote: This hiatus is more annoying than critical. It hasn't manifested itself anywhere else on my setup, except in The Woodhaven2.

Well Malc, we have been trying subtle hints but will have to start making life more awkward for you to drive the message home :lol: :lol:

It's almost sort of mildly satisfying to hear of issues occurring with fruit powered computing devices after all the PC knocking that goes on.
Bob

Ha! That's a little harsh, Bob. I try not to do any knocking, as often software goes wrong and some genius comes up with a means of rectifying. I believe at least one other member is experiencing this same issue. I've also sent a link to the forum to my independent IT guru (Stepson No 1) and he's just seeing the space where the video thumbnail should be on his Safari.

I wonder if it's a Big Sur/Safari 15 issue. Nothing coming back yet from Apple Communities, so it could be forum software not liking my setup.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Oct 2021, 14:15

It's the other way round Malc, it will be your Mac not liking something in the old forum software.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 12 Oct 2021, 14:46

Did you try my suggestion ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Oct 2021, 15:13

Can you just imagine the havoc that Mark could cause but linking forum bugs to individual members :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 15:19

RogerS wrote:Did you try my suggestion ?

I can't amend my question. I will have to go in and ask again.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 15:20

Andyp wrote:Can you just imagine the havoc that Mark could cause but linking forum bugs to individual members :)

Are you sure he's not already started?! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 16:29

I have an answer from my IT guru.

It seems the forum software still uses Flash.

<div class="content"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:425px; height:350px;" data="https://www.youtube.com/v/aS7urdg6GZE"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/aS7urdg6GZE" /></object><br /><br /><br />Hopefully you can access this video. I've still got a blank space in this preview.<br /><br />And yes, I can see the thumbnail on my iPhone! Grrr!</div>

The very last upgrade of Safari removed all support from Flash. So members who upgrade their Mac's regularly, and especially Safari, will all have this problem.

I'm told that the Forum software could employ HTML5.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Oct 2021, 16:47

This version of the software can't use HTML5. The next version I will take us to will, but that requires a full rebuild of the forum, it's not possible to upgrade sadly. It's on my list, but not at the top, so I'm afraid a different browser is your only option at the moment mate. Sorry!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 16:52

TrimTheKing wrote:This version of the software can't use HTML5. The next version I will take us to will, but that requires a full rebuild of the forum, it's not possible to upgrade sadly. It's on my list, but not at the top, so I'm afraid a different browser is your only option at the moment mate. Sorry!

I understand. Like I said, it's annoying rather than critical. But pleased to find out what is the reason and advise other members.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby NickM » 12 Oct 2021, 16:55

Malc2098 wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:This version of the software can't use HTML5. The next version I will take us to will, but that requires a full rebuild of the forum, it's not possible to upgrade sadly. It's on my list, but not at the top, so I'm afraid a different browser is your only option at the moment mate. Sorry!

I understand. Like I said, it's annoying rather than critical. But pleased to find out what is the reason and advise other members.

Yes, no worries at all.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Oct 2021, 17:13

Malc2098 wrote:

You don't need to. Adblock is an extension in your Safari (assuming you're running with it).

Actually, that's always a god starting point. Temporarily turn off any extensions off in Safari. Close it down then reopen it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 17:27

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:

You don't need to. Adblock is an extension in your Safari (assuming you're running with it).

Actually, that's always a god starting point. Temporarily turn off any extensions off in Safari. Close it down then reopen it.

I have no extension running in Safari. We've identified the issue.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 12 Oct 2021, 18:37

Malc2098 wrote:I have an answer from my IT guru.

<div class="content"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:425px; height:350px;" data="https://www.youtube.com/v/aS7urdg6GZE"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/aS7urdg6GZE" /></object><br /><br /><br />Hopefully you can access this video. I've still got a blank space in this preview.<br /><br />And yes, I can see the thumbnail on my iPhone! Grrr!</div>

The very last upgrade of Safari removed all support from Flash. So members who upgrade their Mac's regularly, and especially Safari, will all have this problem.

Sorry about that Malc but it does confirm my approach to upgrades. If it ain't broke don’t fix it.
I wonder if it is possible to download a sub v15 version of Safari to run on Big Sur.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 21:59

Andyp wrote:

Sorry about that Malc but it does confirm my approach to upgrades. If it ain't broke don’t fix it.
I wonder if it is possible to download a sub v15 version of Safari to run on Big Sur.

I'm quite the reverse. My old windows laptop ground to a halt because I could not get it to upgrade for some reason, too far back now to remember why. And since my move to the Mac, upgrades have improved the overall performance. So, for now, I'll find alternative ways to view WH2 videos, but at least I know I can still upload them for others to see.....unless they're on Safari 15, like me! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodster » 12 Oct 2021, 22:00

Andyp wrote:

I don’t completely disagree but not upgrading your computer because a website is using obsolete software doesn’t seem sensible either. Flash had been a well known security problem for decades. HTML5 came out in 2008! :eusa-whistle:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 13 Oct 2021, 17:27

I’ve upgraded one of my seldom used iPads to iPadOS 15 and video’s have been removed on this site using the following browsers:
Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Opera.
All have empty spaces apart from Chrome which shows this:

75A643BE-22E7-4A1B-957C-5AF36B8337A4.jpeg
(43.47 KiB)

I’ve checked out some other forums I visit and videos display normally so it’s only this place so far. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Oct 2021, 18:31

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:I have an answer from my IT guru.

I very much doubt it, Andy. Safari is tightly woven into the fabric.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Oct 2021, 18:33

Just re-read the thread, Malc. Is it just the thumbnails or can you not play the videos at all when you click on the thumbnail ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests