It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:13

Positioning photos

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Positioning photos

Postby Stuart » 17 Nov 2021, 15:35

I’ve just spent a fruitless couple of hours trying to put a WIP together but had real issues with the position of photos.

As far as I’m aware the forum software only allows two options. In line with text or at the end of the post?

I’ve been using in line with text yet every time a ‘phantom’ of the first photo appears with the second and the second won’t position where the cursor is. When I did think I’d got it right the second photo replaced the first one without being asked!

Became so frustrating that I’ve left it and thought I’d ask here if I’m missing something obvious?

Using an ipad with photos stored on it.

EDITED TO ASK where do I find the draft I saved? Can’t find it anywhere!
SECOND EDIT found it!
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Re: Positioning photos

Postby AJB Temple » 17 Nov 2021, 19:49

It's a known issue. Mark is working on replacing the forum software so that drag and drop will be available and this will save most placement issues.

Whatever you do, don't compose a WIP directly in the forum dialogue box. It is VERY easy to lose entire posts that you thought were saved in draft. Especially if you post to a thread just after someone else has.

Place in-line seems to default to the start of each post. It would be more logical to default to the line after the end of the last text entered, but the software is a few generations old now. You need to upload the pictures, and then make sure the cursor is exactly where you want it before pressing submit.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Nov 2021, 20:10

Place in line goes to where your cursor is. Put your cursor where you want the image and click.

Personally, I find it much easier to host the images elsewhere (I use Imgur), and just paste the URL into the dialogue box. You can then move things about to your heart's content.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Stuart » 17 Nov 2021, 21:41

Thanks both.

I was positioning the cursor where I wanted the photo but they still ended up all over the place!

I’ll have another go over the next few days and see how it goes.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 17 Nov 2021, 21:55

You have to re-position the cursor every photo as it resets position after each, and also there's a delay, so if you try and do the next before the previous is finished then it can cause issues.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Stuart » 18 Nov 2021, 10:47

Thanks Mark but that was exactly what I was doing.

I’d then end up with a ‘phantom’ copy of the first photo in front of the second photo with no indication of its presence in the text. Deleting the first photo made the second one jump up in its place. Very confusing.

I’m assuming that the fact my issues appeared when in preview mode means they’d be repeated when it goes ‘live’?

I’ll have another go over the next few days. If I can’t overcome it I’ll post the WIP photo by photo. Long winded but at least it’ll get done.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Nov 2021, 10:58

You can upload several photos (one at at time - each is a three step process) into a thread you are compiling, but each one must be positioned individually. I have not experienced the ghosting issue but I don't bother with preview: I just post a thread and if I am not happy I edit it if I have time. I don't post WIPs personally, despite having the content and enough projects, because of the software. I know Mike uses external hosting and it works well for him, but I have had my fingers badly burnt with that (stolen imagery monetised).

When compiling long threads, I urge you to prepare the text in Word or Pages (or similar text editor) and then copy and paste when finished. Helps avoid text being lost if posting fails (which it does sometimes).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Nov 2021, 11:00

Stuart wrote:Thanks Mark but that was exactly what I was doing.

I’d then end up with a ‘phantom’ copy of the first photo in front of the second photo with no indication of its presence in the text. Deleting the first photo made the second one jump up in its place. Very confusing.

I’m assuming that the fact my issues appeared when in preview mode means they’d be repeated when it goes ‘live’?

I’ll have another go over the next few days. If I can’t overcome it I’ll post the WIP photo by photo. Long winded but at least it’ll get done.

What browser are you using Stuart? That sounds very much like a machine/device specific issue to me and not something related to the forum.

I would hazard that when you submitted the post you wouldn’t see the same issue, but if you do then it might help me to see it and see if I can work out what’s happening.

Browser is the first question though.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Stuart » 18 Nov 2021, 22:46

Sorry for the delay in response, babysitting granddaughter. Nearly as much fun as woodworking!

I’m using safari on an ipad. New mac arrives tomorrow so when I’ve got that sorted will try on that as I dislike the iPad ‘keyboard’.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Nov 2021, 01:25

Okay mate let me know. And if Safari does the same then please try another, Chrome, Firefox, whatever your poison is.

Happy to try and help you work out what’s going on if I can.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 19 Nov 2021, 08:36

Stuart wrote:.... New mac arrives tomorrow .....

Good man ! :eusa-dance: Which one are you getting ? I'm guessing it will already be loaded with Monterey
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Stuart » 19 Nov 2021, 11:06

The silver one ..... :D :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. The 24 inch imac with 16gb RAM and a 512gb ssd. I'm told this will last us forever even though she knows nothing about computers.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Stuart » 19 Nov 2021, 11:18

TrimTheKing wrote:Okay mate let me know. And if Safari does the same then please try another, Chrome, Firefox, whatever your poison is.

Happy to try and help you work out what’s going on if I can.

Thanks again Mark.

It'll take me a few days to try and understand what I'm doing with it but hopeful with everything in one place things will work more effectively.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests