It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:19

A Few Recent SketchUp Scribbles

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: A Few Recent SketchUp Scribbles

Postby Dave R » 22 Jul 2021, 15:32

Thank you, Robert.

As for printing large drawings, yes they do. There are still plenty of applications for large printed drawings.

As for that table, it could easily be scaled down. Could make a nice desk.

Steve's comment wasn't really supposed to be all that cryptic. A few years ago he and I had a holiday in Maine and we stopped into Thos. Moser's flagship store in Freeport.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 08 Aug 2021, 21:05

More miscellany.

Drawer modeled for a guy was looking for a way to add label holders without using metal ones.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 22 Aug 2021, 16:53

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 06 Sep 2021, 14:11

I was rooting around in some stuff and came across an old article about a workbench based on a coffin maker's bench. The top is 11-1/2 in. wide. The author had reduced the length from 13 feet long to only 5. Holes on the apron and top are for hold fasts or dogs. The front vise is designed to be easily removed when it isn't needed.

Getting ready to move so I decided to make a quick model and recycle the paper.

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 25 Sep 2021, 17:24

Small panel clamp.

Pine table.

Huge bubinga slab table top.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 15 Oct 2021, 23:26

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 24 Oct 2021, 16:33

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Oct 2021, 16:58

Hi Dave,
you don't get many replies to your posts but from the view count you can see how much they are appreciated.

Thanks for posting I enjoy seeing them and marvel at the ability you have to create these drawings and models.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dave R » 24 Oct 2021, 17:53

Thank you Andy.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 26 Oct 2021, 00:14

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Oct 2021, 09:52

Andyp wrote:Hi Dave,
you don't get many replies to your posts but from the view count you can see how much they are appreciated.

Thanks for posting I enjoy seeing them and marvel at the ability you have to create these drawings and models.

I’ll echo this Dave. Please don’t ever stop sharing your work on here. I know it doesn’t get massive engagement, and we’ll try and remedy that, but the inspiration it gives me, and others, cannot be underestimated. I’m constantly in awe at what’s possible in Sketchup and when I finally get some time to do anything in woodwork then I will be back into Sketchup and pestering you for help again! :)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dave R » 26 Oct 2021, 18:29

Thank you Mark. I appreciate your comments. I hope you'll find time to get back into SketchUp. If you need a hand, drop me a PM.

No need to worry about getting more engagement on the thread. It's nice to know that at least some folks are OK with seeing what I post. I do hope the things I show inspire others to give it a try for themselves. Anyone can do what I do, after all.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 04 Nov 2021, 21:33

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 13:38, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 07 Nov 2021, 18:42

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 08 Nov 2021, 23:37

Finally something woodworking related.

A workbench modeled for plans for Fine Woodworking. See https://www.finewoodworking.com/2021/10 ... -workbench
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 16 Nov 2021, 15:09

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 16 Nov 2021, 15:43

Dave R wrote:I might have written this before but for anyone learning SketchUp, I would recommend trying to model things you either have on hand and can get measurements from or work from dimensioned drawings. There are all sorts of those available online these days. Doesn't have to be woodworking projects. Just model.

Good advice.

I've never been able to get my head round sketchup and have always ended up just getting frustrated when I can't figure out how to do something, but I used the same approach when learning "conventional" 3D parametric CAD (which for me has been SolidEdge :) , NX :| , Alibre Atom 3D :( , Onshape :D , FreeCAD :| , Fusion 360 :| , ZW3D :) and probably some others I've now forgotten). Lots and lots of practice modelling anything you can find and anything you can think of. Especially useful (for CAD more than sketchup I suspect) is modelling assemblies where you design some parts based on dimensions of other parts in the same assembly (as long as you're not using Alibre Atom 3D or FreeCAD) as that's an important but non-trivial part of 3D design.

In the early days I did a lot of CAD models of stuff that I'd recently finished making (and hence no point in doing a CAD model) and stuff I was thinking of making but that was simple enough that CAD was unnecessary. I also took a few dimensioned drawings for projects that you can get off the web and turned the drawings into 3D models, then went back and changed some early dimensions to see what happened and how the parametric model updated to the new dimensions.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Dave R » 16 Nov 2021, 15:48

Thanks Dr. Al.

Good points.

I am a mentor for our local FIRST Robotics team. They use OnShape which I find combersome to use. I should practice more but it's so much easier for me to work in SketchUp that I just revert to that. One thing I find interesting when I watch others working in OnShape is that they have to create each part as a separate sketch and then assemble the parts. In SketchUp there's no need to do that. After the first few components are modeled, everything else gets modeled in place to fit.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 16 Nov 2021, 16:10

Dave R wrote:Thanks Dr. Al.

Good points.

I am a mentor for our local FIRST Robotics team. They use OnShape which I find combersome to use. I should practice more but it's so much easier for me to work in SketchUp that I just revert to that. One thing I find interesting when I watch others working in OnShape is that they have to create each part as a separate sketch and then assemble the parts. In SketchUp there's no need to do that. After the first few components are modeled, everything else gets modeled in place to fit.

Interesting: one of the things I like about Onshape & other decent CAD applications (as opposed to things like Atom 3D or, until they release some new updates, FreeCAD) is that you can model parts based on other parts. The "Part Studio" in Onshape allows you to do exactly what you just described: model the first component and then model everything else in place to fit. It sounds like they could do with some better demos of how to use Onshape!

For example, this model is of a holder for T-handle hex keys I made (as laser cut plastic parts) a while ago. All the parts are in the same "Part Studio" and have been designed based on each other:

hexkeyboxmodel.jpg
(25.87 KiB)

The fact it's parametric also means you can go back to a sketch on the original part and change the dimensions. That part will then update automatically, as will all the other parts that depend on the dimension, e.g.:

modifiedhexkeyboxmodel.jpg
(27.72 KiB)

I completely understand that if you're used to one style of modelling then another is cumbersome. I find the same with Sketchup. For formal CAD stuff at work we use NX, but Sketchup is used for pretty stuff when you just want to show what it's going to look like in an early prototype. One of my colleagues does amazing things with sketchup but every time I try I end up swearing at it and asking him to do it for me! Sketchup is a very different mindset to other CAD applications so I think it's really difficult to move back and forth (my colleague wouldn't know where to start with NX!)
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Nov 2021, 23:52

Dave's done a "how I modelled it" video of his Universal Joint:

It's nearly an hour long, so not for the faint-hearted, but for anyone seriously interested in how an SU model is built up, in an efficient way, it is very informative.
I consider myself to be competent in SU for the sort of stuff I make, and if I get stuck I call on Dave to get me out of a hole, so Dave is a mate, but even taking that into account, I think this is excellent. I learned stuff I didn't know.
BTW, if, like me, you are a cheapskate and are still using the free version 2017, there will be some things that Dave uses that are unavailable to us, but the principles still stand.
Lots to learn.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 22 Nov 2021, 12:55

Thank you Steve.

FWIW, other than using tags instead of layers, it should all be doable in SketchUp 2017 Make. The trimming that I do to the parts can be done with BoolTools 2, an extension that does the same sort of stuff that I show that works in Make. It's not a free extension but if your time has any value the cost is trivial.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 23 Nov 2021, 23:00

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 23 Nov 2021, 23:04

Very nice. Er, what are they???
:)
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 23 Nov 2021, 23:09

Thank you, sir.

Steve Maskery wrote:Er, what are they???
:)

Hand rail posts with decorative nuts. From around 1900. Made of cast iron. They are sized so the center of the rail running through the hole at the top is 8-1/2 in. up from the mounting surface. (That would be eight and a half inches in old money. :D ) The yellow ones are the patterns and cores for casting.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 24 Nov 2021, 10:53

Dave R wrote:FWIW, other than using tags instead of layers, it should all be doable in SketchUp 2017 Make. The trimming that I do to the parts can be done with BoolTools 2, an extension that does the same sort of stuff that I show that works in Make. It's not a free extension but if your time has any value the cost is trivial.

Just a heads up on this. The BoolTools extension that Dave links to above costs $29 USD, but the site has a 40% Black Friday deal on, which equates to a few pennies over £13.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools