It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:56

Does anyone else use QCAD?

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Does anyone else use QCAD?

Postby Simon_M » 13 Sep 2019, 21:48

Does anyone else use QCAD? It's a 2D CAD program that's free (and open source) - which I like.

The version I have is the QCAD Pro version - it's not free but doesn't cost an arm and a leg either. It adds to the free version with some additional components - perhaps everything I use it is already in the free version but what I have works well too.

I find the program easy to use except that I would like to know how to use the built in "scripting language" and I can't find good tutorial that takes you from thinking of a problem, implementing the parts required and putting it all together.

I get the impression that all scripts work in a similar way e.g. you select something e.g. the sides of a rectangle, invoke the script (keystroke or from a menu) and it does something e.g. divides it into three - exactly what it does isn't so important as knowing how to get the "general idea" working.

They say that a picture is worth a 1000 words but for this program a few meaningful lines of "code" are (to me) better than a 1000 words too. I do have a QCAD book, but it's targeting the person getting into using CAD and the program so doesn't go into more complex things like scripting.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Simon_M
Seedling

Name: Simon

Re: Does anyone else use QCAD?

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Sep 2019, 10:02

Hi Simon

I tried qcad a few years ago before I started on my workshop and gave up in favour of sketchup.

Even then I didn’t catch on with sketchup right away, so I think it’s an issue with me rather than either of the apps. :eusa-shifty:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dave R » 22 Sep 2019, 23:22

I don't have any need for a 2D CAD program. Drawing three dimensional objects in 2D doesn't seem very practical to me. Hadn't looked at QCAD for awhile, either. But it does look like a fairly powerful program. I wonder what the difference in features is between the free and pro versions.

As for the scripting stuff, have you looked at this: https://qcad.org/en/products/qcad-command-line-tools
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Sep 2019, 07:20

I have Qcad loaded onto my computer, and will move over to using it as my primary drawing programme towards the time DraftSight starts charging for its formerly free service. I think that's at the end of the year. Unfortunately, at first glance it doesn't look much like Autocad, so I'm faced with learning a new drawing programme at the same time as earning my living from using it.......great.

As for coding. Sorry, no idea.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Sep 2019, 11:03

Can’t you get an earlier version of AutoCad Mike?

I’ve got one on my machine, will check on the version.

I also run Photoshop No??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Simon_M » 23 Sep 2019, 11:15

Mike G wrote:I have QCAD loaded onto my computer, and will move over to using it as my primary drawing programme.

I’ve no experience of Autocad and have been using QCAD for 4 months. I’m probably not using all its features - I use layers for different components (colour and line type) but haven’t so far grouped things together or tried to import symbols/components (I’m a “simple” user). I’ve no previous experience of CAD and bought and used the QCAD book - it’s a PDF that’s frequently updated. I found it useful to get the concepts and then be shown exactly how to use these in the program (but your experience may be different).

In my mind the book should really be included with the product as it’s an extension of the Help System. The program wasn’t expensive even with the book - I use it on my Mac but I could use it on a PC too. Now that I have learned it’s use, I’m more likely to use the Help System now. Not sure what the free version misses out on, but I’m happy to support the Developer especially as he accepts suggestions and continues to move the product forwards.

I want to emulate my first attempts in engineering to draw in 2D. For home use, I mostly need a drawing with one view or at most two and don’t have a need to render or spin 3D objects etc. It’s helped me draw out circular objects that are constructed from rectangular stock (wood) without the need for any maths e.g. making an octagonal ring to be wood-turned round from limited width of material with minimal waste.

The book is for learning basic concepts so doesn’t attempt to cover more difficult tasks like designing and implementing a script. The scripts run within the program, they are not needed to import other drawings as this (in theory) is provided in the import/export in the paid for version.

One thing I don’t like are the templates. They are not necessarily in English which relates to their open source origin and should really be “managed” and translated as the product installs. The license includes updates for a year but continues afterwards. Seems fair enough, the rate of change means it’s not going to be immediately out of date. For me it’s like using Word or Excel - for exacting drawings it does a really good job and as my knowledge increases it seems useful and logical. I have started using it to print selective layers at 1:1 to take “one part” direct to the bandsaw etc. so no need for CNC (and 3D) for me.
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Simon_M
Seedling

Name: Simon

Postby meccarroll » 30 Dec 2023, 10:51

This looks like an old thread just wondered if anyone had been using this programme lately and how they are finding it?

Interesting that is seems to have CAD/CAM ability too!

Is it still only 2D?

Regards MarkC
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Dec 2023, 12:05

When I bought my CNC router, I settled on Vectric VCarve for 2.5D CAD/CAM. For what I fabricate, I couldn't justify the cost of the full 3D Vectric Aspire.

I settled on my choice having tried out the free version of Fusion 360, and Onshape, but I just couldn't get my head around their approach.

Says more about me than them.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby meccarroll » 30 Dec 2023, 13:54

Malc2098 wrote:When I bought my CNC router, I settled on Vectric VCarve for 2.5D CAD/CAM. For what I fabricate, I couldn't justify the cost of the full 3D Vectric Aspire.

I settled on my choice having tried out the free version of Fusion 360, and Onshape, but I just couldn't get my head around their approach.

Says more about me than them.

I have used Vectric VCarve Pro CAM software and it's pretty good.

I have also used F-engrave too which is simple and free but had a bit of trouble with it at times.

The CAD Software I use is TurboCAD Platinum which is £1200 for a perpetual licence. I do a reasonable amount of cad drawings in 2D for my work and am starting to use it for my CNC too. It's not necessary to buy the Platinum version as the Delux version is very comprehensive and well capable of producing excellent 2D drawings.

Is it a workbee you have Malc?
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Dec 2023, 15:47

Mine is a Bulkman 7510 Queenbee Pro with an HY 1.5kw air-cooled spindle and VFD.

It was, and still is, a huge learning curve for me. I've done many 2D processes on it, and a couple of 2.5D for internal components of my instruments. VCarve Desktop doesn't really support 3D unless its Vectric's own models, I think.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby meccarroll » 30 Dec 2023, 18:15

Malc2098 wrote:Mine is a Bulkman 7510 Queenbee Pro with an HY 1.5kw air-cooled spindle and VFD.

It was, and still is, a huge learning curve for me. I've done many 2D processes on it, and a couple of 2.5D for internal components of my instruments. VCarve Desktop doesn't really support 3D unless its Vectric's own models, I think.

Ahh, I purchased a Bulkman during "COVID" or at least I think it was a Bulkman mainly because they seem to give a bit more for your money. I just got the main framework then ordered separate parts from all over ebay and Alixpress but due to covid I had to wait too long for the parts to arrive and so ended up bouying a ready made CNC second-hand that had hardly been used. Now Covid is under control (mostly) Parts are available and I have most of what I need but as I now have a CNC running and am short of time building my one in bits just never seems to get off the ground. I have a water cooled spindle on my CNC and like it because it's nice and quiet unlike what I have been told about the air cooled versions (Bit noisy). But they both end up giving the same results so up to the customers preference. I'd agree it's a learning curve but a fascinating subject with a lot of potential if you have the time. One day I will build that CNC!!!

Thank you for your reply Malc. Mark.C
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools