It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:48

Fusion 360 for woodworking

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: Fusion 360 for woodworking

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Jun 2020, 12:28

Having been taught TD, that iso view looks well out, (....as they say on the street round 'ere.)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 02 Jun 2020, 12:51

It is churlish for me to comment as I know I could not do better.
As Robert says it is not that important.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2020, 13:00

Andyp wrote:It is churlish for me to comment as I know I could not do better.
As Robert says it is not that important.

All I can say that is how it comes out automatically and it shows me what I need. I can pull it about all over the place and find it very useful to have one click to bring it back to some degree of normality.
The real value is in the 2D projections with dimensions - still got master that bit but I looks fairly straight forward compared to the modelling stage. It won't let you put any dimensions on the iso view which is a bit of a shame from the "show it to the client" point of view.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2020, 13:02

Looks like the perspective can be changed.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ ... ch-Up.html

I don't need to go there yet!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dave R » 02 Jun 2020, 13:17

Robert, the perspective" does look weird to me, too. I suspect because we're so used to seeing things in perspective and that isn't. It looks weird in any program to me.

Parallel Projection in SketchUp

Perspective

The parallel projection or isometric has the advantage that on paper you can measure lines that are parallel to each other and compare their length. For those of us used to looking at the real world instead, isometric views look distorted. I've found clients who aren't used to looking at isometric views tend to dislike looking at them.

I think it's cool that you guys are learning new software but I'll just throw out that it is possible to get G-code out of SketchUp. There is also some CNC software that will import a SketchUp file and work with that.

Bob, I'm curious. Can you make the wood grain texture run the right way on the chest?
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2020, 13:26

[quote="Dave R"

Bob, I'm curious. Can you make the wood grain texture run the right way on the chest?[/quote]

Very good question. I'm sure it is possible, I was just pleased to get it out of the default "steel" grey look to start with.

Bob

Seems the answer is yes.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-3 ... -p/5915491
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dave R » 02 Jun 2020, 13:29

Understood. Good for you. I expect your clients will like it.

Maybe they have a trap door in the floor they want to put it over? Made me think of Sweeney Todd for some reason. :lol:
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 02 Jun 2020, 13:34

Dave R wrote:
I think it's cool that you guys are learning new software but I'll just throw out that it is possible to get G-code out of SketchUp. There is also some CNC software that will import a SketchUp file and work with that.

Would those alternatives work with the free version of sketchup and are the g code add ons also free?

The price was the major appeal of fusion 360 along with being possibly an all in one solution if I ever got a CNC.

I have recently thought of a few things that i could use that I could 3D print so that is another application - again if I bought printer.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2020, 13:37

Dave R wrote:Understood. Good for you. I expect your clients will like it.

Maybe they have a trap door in the floor they want to put it over? Made me think of Sweeney Todd for some reason. :lol:

:lol: :lol:
I was having so many difficulties when I got one piece right I saved it and start a new model for the next part to avoid breaking the first one. The view I'm showing is a final model, with all the various parts imported. they are still locked to their source files - another insurance policy !- and it was only then I noticed I'd forgotten the bottom.
I'll revisit at some stage and do a base as well as the wood grain thing.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dave R » 02 Jun 2020, 13:48

Robert wrote:Would those alternatives work with the free version of sketchup and are the g code add ons also free?

There are some extensions that would work with the free desktop version of SketchUp. The ones I'm thinking of have been around longer than Fusion360.

Robert wrote:The price was the major appeal of fusion 360 along with being possibly an all in one solution if I ever got a CNC.

When you get to shopping for a CNC router look at the software offerings. A number of offerings from Vectric, for example, will take your .skp file directly

Robert wrote:I have recently thought of a few things that i could use that I could 3D print so that is another application - again if I bought printer.

Lots of people are doing 3D printing from SketchUp models. I did this motor support bracket earlier this year for the robotics team. The green pieces were 3D printed. I thought I had a photo of the printed pieces but I guess I don't. (And with lockdown, I can't get at the robot to take any pictures. :( )

You can see a bunch of things modeled in SketchUp and printed by a friend of mine in Germany here.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of using Fusion360. I just don't want anyone else who reads this to come away thinking this stuff can't be done with SketchUp.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 02 Jun 2020, 13:50

9fingers wrote:I was having so many difficulties when I got one piece right I saved it...

That's good. When you finally get the chickens laying, you take each egg into the house one at a time to prevent breaking one with the next. :D
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 04 Jun 2020, 15:00

I've been working my way through more tutorials and have successfully drawn something. Not anything that I would want draw but at least it is a drawing and I completed it.

I had one or 2 lightbulb moments along the way but I still feel like the rest of the set of fairy lights are still to come on. The combination of virtually every tutorial being for an older version and the simple basic things that should be so obvious they don't mention them is infuriating.

I do everything in the order the video does and then something works for them but not for me. In the latest incident it was offset not working. No mention of the fact you click on the surface you want to draw on before the command (that was one lightbulb moment). Run the command before clicking and it just will not offset anything.

This is hard work. I don't want it to beat me though. Can't help feeling a simple primer on the way it works and its quirks would have been more help than 'here's how to draw this'. I've not found one though.

Again old version and I'm not up to copying yet but this one was interesting

[youtube]VZU_Jpyyc5M[/youtube]

The easy way he constructs and adds on detail is something to aim for. Until then there's always Sketchup :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jun 2020, 17:00

Yes the new GUI only features in a few recent videos and it is quite a bit different from the early one when you are learning.
typing S on a blank bit of screen allow you to search the available tools with just a few letters - if you know the name of what you want that is!
I found an illustrated keyboard short cuts on the warwick.ac.uk website https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/about ... yboard.pdf
Right clicking brings up quite a few of the things you are allowed to perform at various stages.

Curious that I do not have your offest problem? If you are in sketch mode then it works with either tool select first or second but if you have closed the sketch, and select offset, it opens the last sketch for you.
However I agree thare are lots of little things you have to remember and that the videos skate over.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Previous

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools