It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:12

Workshop Uses for 3D Printing

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: Workshop Uses for 3D Printing

Postby Dr.Al » 23 Jul 2022, 16:27

The 3D printer has been in full bandsaw mode for the last few days.

The latest is a Maskery pattern dust extractor:

maskery_dust_catcher_800.jpg
(45.33 KiB)

and yes, I could have made it out of 40 mm pipe and brackets, but that would have involved going to a shop, and where's the fun in that? :lol:

The three brackets each have two very strong 20 mm diameter, 6 mm deep magnets glued into the back face (which is curved to match the shape of the door: a 1.5 metre radius curve!)

The bottom piece (printed in black) is shaped at the end to match all the other bits and pieces in my garage (actually based on the outside diameter of the tools that came with vacuum cleaner, so I can still use those without disconnecting the dust box).

Close-up of the top bit to show how it works for those too lazy to watch Steve's video (the sawdust you can see on the underside of the table was there before I fitted the dust catcher):

maskery_dust_catcher_closeup_800.jpg
(33.86 KiB)

I was far too lazy to do as thorough a test as Steve did in his video, but I thought it was worth resawing a bit of 150 mm poplar in half and seeing what happened:

dust_catcher_test_poplar_800.jpg
(46.05 KiB)

Not perfect, but pretty darn good:

dust_after_ripping_poplar_800.jpg
(44.62 KiB)
Last edited by Dr.Al on 23 Jul 2022, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Lurker » 23 Jul 2022, 17:19

Dr.Al wrote: I'm not sure it's really necessary...

Not stopped you before :D

…..but I do agree, solution looking for a problem.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 23 Jul 2022, 17:36

Lurker wrote:
Dr.Al wrote: I'm not sure it's really necessary...

Not stopped you before :D

:lol: :text-lol:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Aug 2022, 09:36

Some sleeves to go over some of my T-handle hex keys to make them the same colour (ish) as my other T-handle hex keys so I can see at a glance which is which.

sleeved_hex_keys_800.jpg
(84.12 KiB)

The sleeves do mean that the hex keys won't go down into tiny deep holes (e.g. those with grub screws in), but those are few and far between and I've got a couple of other sets of t-handle hex keys anyway!
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2022, 14:05

I've coded some of my allen keys using wiring sleeves and the international resistor colour code which is burned into my brain since childhood experimentation with electronics. Leads to an instant association of a colour with digits 0-9

eg orange, orange, red for 3/32" brown,grey for 1/8" green orange red for 5/32" etc

works ok until oil gets to the rubber and the sleeves perish.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Aug 2022, 14:12

9fingers wrote:I've coded some of my allen keys using wiring sleeves and the international resistor colour code which is burned into my brain since childhood experimentation with electronics. Leads to an instant association of a colour with digits 0-9

eg orange, orange, red for 3/32" brown,grey for 1/8" green orange red for 5/32" etc

works ok until oil gets to the rubber and the sleeves perish.

Bob

That's an interesting idea for a colour scheme: like you I have spent a lot of time looking at (and interpreting) resistor colour codes. I'd wondered about using heatshrink as a colour code, but when you want to have specific colours (to match the specific colours of my coloured hex keys), it can be quite hard to find.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2022, 14:49

I've long forgotten the ancient body, dot tip coding scheme when most resistors were carbon rods an inch or more long and the traffic light dots on capacitors. - see how ancient I am!
It's impressive how they fit all the ohms into modern micro-miniature resistors that are even too small to have colour coding and I need a microscope to read the numbers!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Aug 2022, 15:11

9fingers wrote:It's impressive how they fit all the ohms into modern micro-miniature resistors that are even too small to have colour coding and I need a microscope to read the numbers!

You're obviously using big resistors if they've got numbers on them :lol:

The numbers are usually printed on 0603 (1.6 × 0.8 mm) package sizes and above. Where I work we use a lot of 0201 resistors & are looking at 01005 ones for some future stuff. 01005 resistors are 0.4 × 0.2 mm :o Not much room for numbers on them!
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 14 Aug 2022, 16:04

I'm only doing simple stuff for my own hobby projects and stick to NK3 resistors with leads on em. Iv'e possibly got a "rest of life" stock of these in E12 values.
Most stuff is knocked up on vero board or RF bits on copped clad FR4. I stay away from SMD passive components on ease of use grounds with limited tooling and only a fine tip weller iron. Suits my level of work these days.
Apologies for thread hijack!
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Dr.Al » 23 Nov 2022, 18:11

A simple box with 'oles in:

holder.jpg
(96.91 KiB)

Filled with various router bits and bobs (including the daft imperial allen keys that Veritas insist on using and which would get lost if they didn't have a dedicated home):

holder_filled.jpg
(158.63 KiB)
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Lons » 23 Nov 2022, 19:24

I'm going to put you on ignore Al if you don't stop it at once. :shock: :lol:

My missus has just asked for ideas for the kids to buy me for Christmas and I had huge problems resisting a contribution to one of those plastic makey trickery gizmos. :eusa-naughty:

I shall write in old fashioned pencil 50 lines of " I don't NEED a 3D printer." ( Do schoolkids still get lines to write if they've been naughty? :eusa-think: )
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 23 Nov 2022, 19:26

Lons wrote:I'm going to put you on ignore Al if you don't stop it at once. :shock: :lol:

My missus has just asked for ideas for the kids to buy me for Christmas and I had huge problems resisting a contribution to one of those plastic makey trickery gizmos. :eusa-naughty:

I shall write in old fashioned pencil 50 lines of " I don't NEED a 3D printer." ( Do schoolkids still get lines to write if they've been naughty? :eusa-think: )

:text-lol:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Nov 2022, 12:30

Neat.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dr.Al » 26 Nov 2022, 14:15

Warning: this post is treading on dangerous subject matter.... in a bit to not find myself on the naughty step, I'll just say that I'm posting it to show what a 3D printer can do, not to make any commentary on right or wrong methods...

With that said, some jigs:

charlesworth_router_jigs.jpg
(217.12 KiB)

and some more jigs:

tormek_jigs.jpg
(186.91 KiB)

The first ones are there to hold router plane cutters / blades / irons / whatever and are based on David Charlesworth's approach. The larger size is for 3/8" / 9.5 mm square irons, although there is plenty of flex so the size isn't critical:

charlesworth_router_large_side.jpg
(134.06 KiB)

charlesworth_router_large_1.jpg
(187.44 KiB)

The angles written on top are the cutting angle (not the bevel angle, as that's less) you'll get if the guide is perfectly parallel with the stone. In practice, the angle will be a bit different as it depends on the stone height and the extension of the blade), but it just gives you a rough idea of which one will result in the Eclipse guide being roughly level.

The smaller size is for the cutter that came with my Record 722:

charlesworth_router_small_1.jpg
(189.41 KiB)

charlesworth_router_small_2.jpg
(138.11 KiB)

They only help with the bevel; but the base can easily be done with the David Charlesworth method as well (except I use a ruler where he used a piece of plastic):

charlesworth_router_base_1.jpg
(190.54 KiB)

charlesworth_router_base_2.jpg
(151.38 KiB)

The other jigs are for a Tormek (or the Tormek support for a conventional bench grinder). Firstly, for regrinding single bevel skewed chisels, which I use a lot for cleaning out corners of dovetails:

tormek_skewed_on_bench.jpg
(131.53 KiB)

tormek_skewed_1.jpg
(100.14 KiB)

Also works for the opposite skew:

tormek_skewed_2.jpg
(114.88 KiB)

tormek_skewed_side.jpg
(122.72 KiB)

To be continued...
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 26 Nov 2022, 14:17

The final jig is another one for router cutters. It'll allow regrinding of the base:

tormek_router_base.jpg
(153.83 KiB)

... and also the bevel:

tormek_router_bevel_1.jpg
(123.8 KiB)

tormek_router_bevel_2.jpg
(146.06 KiB)

It's also a lot cheaper than most Tormek jigs :lol:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 26 Nov 2022, 14:30

Excellent, interesting how your mind works. :D
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Nov 2022, 15:41

Now that's just showing off! :lol:

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby DaveL » 26 Nov 2022, 20:03

I like the jigs for the router irons, might have to think about doing some.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 27 Nov 2022, 08:51

How do you prevent that rotating around the shaft, and how do you ensure it is exactly horizontal? Obviously any deviation from horizontal would result in out-of-square grinding.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 27 Nov 2022, 11:11

Mike G wrote:How do you prevent that rotating around the shaft, and how do you ensure it is exactly horizontal? Obviously any deviation from horizontal would result in out-of-square grinding.

I'm not sure I follow; which jig are you referring to Mike?

The ones for the larger router cutters (both Charlesworth style & Tormek) have square holes for the cutter, so the cutter can't rotate. The Charlesworth one for the small router relies on the clamp to stop it rotating.

If you mean the shaft of the Tormek machine and the router jig, then it's designed to rotate. When grinding the base, the rotation alters the depth of cut (and if you keep grinding for ages it'll change the relief angle, but that doesn't matter really). When grinding the bevel, the rotation just changes the area of the face of the wheel that's being used to grind the cutter: it doesn't change the geometry at all.

I guess it's probably worth saying that I made the tormek router jig after getting the second-hand Stanley 71 recently. The cutters that came with that were a bit of a mess and I wanted a 'clean start'. The tormek jig allowed me to sort out the two faces of each cutter. I still finish sharpening on a stone with the cutter in the router plane, which guarantees the edge is parallel with the router base.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 27 Nov 2022, 21:26

Sorry, yes I meant rotation of the jig around the round shaft in your last photo, where the top face of the cutter is being done on the side of the wheel. And of course, rotation wouldn't make any difference as the honed face is at right angles to the round shaft.

Move along, folk. Nothing to see here...... :) :oops:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 09 Dec 2022, 17:18

Track saw parallel guides:

two_parallel_guides2.jpg
(277.72 KiB)

STLs (and STEPs): https://www.printables.com/model/335945 ... set-makita
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Jan 2023, 17:06

I went to the dentist today to have my mouth scanned. I have an uncontrollable gag reflex.

I lost several of my top teeth in a motorbike crash back in the 70s when bobbies were supposed to catch the villains at any cost. I got him, but it cost my lip cut off, both wrists broken and my teeth. My current denture needs replacing because of changes in my mouth shape. A while ago, I went to the dentist for an impression to be made, but due to my reflex, we couldn't get the upper jaw tray of goo into my mouth.

Today, I got called in as a guinea pig for the dentist to consider buying a 3D mouth scanner with the suppliers visiting with the hardware. The dentists tells them 'Mr James knows all about CNC and stuff like that', so we got on well.

The scanning wasn't without loads of gags (not the jocular kind) because the operator is required to watch the computer screen to see where is being successfully scanned, not the patients mouth, so my throat got touched a few times.

But the result was brilliant. There on the screen was my ugly mouth. Just for a laugh, I said to the suppliers, send me the STL file and I'll make them in wood! They suppled my dentist with the STL file on a memory stick.

The scanner probe is bluetooth connected to the computer, so no wires, and it is also the operator's mouse/wand.

The dentist then said he was emailing the file with his instructions to the lab, and guess what they're going to do with the STL.

They're going to 3D print the model of my mouth! :x
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Dr.Al » 05 Jan 2023, 17:16

In the customer demo area where I work there's an example of a big plate with lots of custom 3D printed titanium teeth - it always struck me as a slightly unusual thing to be showing off to customers, but I guess it's a good advert for the printers! Something tells me the cabinet opposite (which contains the Bloodhound steering wheel) probably generates more interest.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 15 Jan 2023, 15:37

A very simple 3D printed box liner:

liner.jpg
(104.69 KiB)

The box I've just made is for storing earplugs and I figured that having a plastic liner might be easier to clean. It's a close sliding fit in the box, so if I decide I don't want it any more, I can just pull it out. The sparkly "Galaxy Black" PETG filament looks quite smart to me.

liner_in_box.jpg
(104.11 KiB)

It's nice being able to make things like this in exactly the size you want them to be.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools