It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:35

Workshop Uses for 3D Printing

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: Workshop Uses for 3D Printing

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2022, 16:23

Oh bl00dy hell, you've gone and done it now! I have spent too much time thinking of all the reasons I DON'T need a 3D printer then you go and post this!

I love my technology and rarely need an excuse to buy a new toy, but I felt like I was growing and managing to contain this particular desire, then this!

Some great work mate and really showcases some of the things you can use them for with just a small amount of imagination. Top work. :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Apr 2022, 16:33

TrimTheKing wrote:Oh bl00dy hell, you've gone and done it now! I have spent too much time thinking of all the reasons I DON'T need a 3D printer then you go and post this!

I love my technology and rarely need an excuse to buy a new toy, but I felt like I was growing and managing to contain this particular desire, then this!

Some great work mate and really showcases some of the things you can use them for with just a small amount of imagination. Top work. :eusa-clap:

Thanks Mark.

Oh, and... viewtopic.php?f=34&t=7344#p121757
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Apr 2022, 16:41

Another extremely simple thing that could have been made out of a piece of scrap wood easily enough:

storage_coping_holder.jpg
(23.5 KiB)

storage_coping_holder_in_place.jpg
(20.27 KiB)
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Apr 2022, 17:33

Dr.Al wrote:
No problem, give me a shout if you get stuck or you want me to record a short video showing a simple part (e.g. the chisel rack) being made. The tutorials are also excellent.

Thanks.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Apr 2022, 17:42

Malc2098 wrote:
Dr.Al wrote:
No problem, give me a shout if you get stuck or you want me to record a short video showing a simple part (e.g. the chisel rack) being made. The tutorials are also excellent.

Thanks.

You didn't actually ask for this, but I was curious how long it would actually take to draw it from scratch (about 5 minutes) and wanted to test how easy it is to record a video, so I made it anyway. Feel free not to bother to watch this if you're not that interested!

It's probably worth watching full screen (for which you might need to follow the link to youtube) as some of the buttons are quite small (I've got a fairly big monitor and I recorded all of it).

Full link: https://youtu.be/5lNQiQmm0WQ
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 17:44

Welcome to have a play with my printer (felt I had to state printer to avoid confusion) first Mark. Bit smaller than Al's but I haven't felt the need for bigger yet.

Oh and it's only 170 quid.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 18:45

Few bits. There's plenty more.

Watch part trays
20220405_181647.jpg
(182.69 KiB)

Parts fir the printer
20220414_175303.jpg
(179.15 KiB)

Knobs for the car
20220414_175204.jpg
(158.17 KiB)

Random boxes
20220414_175251.jpg
(212.18 KiB)

GPS mounts
20220414_175344.jpg
(451.31 KiB)

And many many more. This is just hat I have pics of to hand.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 18:59

[attachment=0]20220208_203840.jpg[/attachment]Spoke tension meter[attachment=0]20220208_203840.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
20220208_203840.jpg
(265.96 KiB)
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Apr 2022, 19:03

Nice!

Did you design that spoke tension meter?
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 19:17

Dr.Al wrote:Nice!

Did you design that spoke tension meter?

Heavily modified but not my design. Shamelessly stolen from commercial designs and a thingiverse file. I didn't like the way it locked the dial indicator in, nor the spring seat or grips
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2022, 19:29

novocaine wrote:Welcome to have a play with my printer (felt I had to state printer to avoid confusion) first Mark. Bit smaller than Al's but I haven't felt the need for bigger yet.

Oh and it's only 170 quid.

Thanks mate, I’ll take you up on that at some point.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2022, 19:33

Sorry......Dave, are you saying you made those bits with a bit of kit worth only £170?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 19:40

Mike G wrote:Sorry......Dave, are you saying you made those bits with a bit of kit worth only £170?

Yes, yes i am. I'm not sure if you are being facitousious with your comment that I paid 170 quid to have the ability to make Random bits of plastic tatt or not. But either way, yes I paid 170 quid and yes this is what it makes. :lol:
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 19:52

Nipple tool for deep dish rims.
Screenshot_20220414-195125_Instagram.jpg
(83.46 KiB)
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 14 Apr 2022, 20:07

novocaine wrote:
Mike G wrote:Sorry......Dave, are you saying you made those bits with a bit of kit worth only £170?

Yes, yes i am. I'm not sure if you are being facitousious with your comment that I paid 170 quid to have the ability to make Random bits of plastic tatt or not. But either way, yes I paid 170 quid and yes this is what it makes.
So which printer do you have?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 20:10

Kingroon kp3s. The updated version with a titan extruder.
I know. Catchy name.

Edit. It's gone up ten pounds.

3D Printer, Premium Titan Extruder Aluminum Double Linear Guide Rails and Double Cooling Fans, Easy Assemble Printing Space 180x180x180mm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CZD7ZLC/ ... 61D95SGEA3
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2022, 20:27

novocaine wrote:

Yes, yes i am. I'm not sure if you are being facitousious with your comment that I paid 170 quid to have the ability to make Random bits of plastic tatt or not. But either way, yes I paid 170 quid and yes this is what it makes. :lol:

No, I wasn't being facetious. I'm just amazed. These things were thousands not so long back. The number of times I've wanted random little plastic parts...... Sheesh, I held a patent for a few years for something which had umpteen little plastic parts, or at least, parts which would have best been made out of plastic. Some I heat-formed. Some I routed, cut, filed and sanded. Some I got friends to turn for me. But most I made them out of aluminium instead. Having a £170 machine make them for me (I'm pretty good at 3D "drawing" [modelling]) would have been a game-changer.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Apr 2022, 20:33

The first fdm I used was £100,000. It was the size of a car and used laser sintering of plastic powders. It belonged to university of Salford. I now have a machine that can match or better it on quality. The world is a strange place.

Oh and I used to be a draftsman and for a while a Parts designer. So I'm pretty handy where CAD is concerned. (I also made models of process systems at one point, this would have saved the 5 months of my life that I'll never get back for that job).

I hope you didn't take my comment as being rude. I can't read emotions in text form. :)
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Apr 2022, 21:02

Dr.Al wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:
Dr.Al wrote:

Thanks.

You didn't actually ask for this, but I was curious how long it would actually take to draw it from scratch (about 5 minutes) and wanted to test how easy it is to record a video, so I made it anyway. Feel free not to bother to watch this if you're not that interested!

It's probably worth watching full screen (for which you might need to follow the link to youtube) as some of the buttons are quite small (I've got a fairly big monitor and I recorded all of it).

Full link: https://youtu.be/5lNQiQmm0WQ

Nice. You work at a speed that I could copy with a few pauses. I watch an American chap who models guitar part in Fusion 360, that even with pauses, I don't know what he's doing!

Is there a CAM part of Onshape to create the tool paths for the cnc routing file?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2022, 21:04

novocaine wrote:.........I hope you didn't take my comment as being rude.....

Not in the slightest, Dave. I've known you too long for that.
Last edited by Mike G on 14 Apr 2022, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Apr 2022, 21:49

:text-+1:
Peri wrote:Brilliant and interesting thread. :)

:text-+1:

How much does the printer cost and will it work with a Mac ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 15 Apr 2022, 09:15

Malc2098 wrote:Nice. You work at a speed that I could copy with a few pauses. I watch an American chap who models guitar part in Fusion 360, that even with pauses, I don't know what he's doing!

Is there a CAM part of Onshape to create the tool paths for the cnc routing file?

I know it's possible, but I'm not sure whether it's included in the free version. There's a thing called the OnShape App Store (everything has an app store these days ;) ). I just looked and there's one that seems to be free, but I don't have anything CNC-ish, so I can't comment on what it's like:

https://appstore.onshape.com/apps/CAM/E ... escription

RogerS wrote:How much does the printer cost and will it work with a Mac ?

The short answer: depends on the printer for the first question and almost certainly yes for the second question.

Longer answers:

There's a bit of a gradient of price and effort (in terms of fettling). When I bought mine (in the Black Friday sales), I decided to spend a bit more and get one with a reputation of just working without needing much effort (I wanted to print stuff, not spend time learning about extrusion rates and temperatures and suchlike). I bought the Prusa i3 Mk3S+ Kit, which was about £700. You can, of course, pay a lot more than that, but you can get them for as little as £150 if you don't mind the idea of a bit more work to tweak things to get it to work well. In between the two extremes there are lots of options, including the Creality Ender 3 and Ender 3 Mk2, which I believe are well thought of and probably less work than the £150 one for not much more money.

As for Mac, the only one I have experience of is the Prusa one. The "Slicer" (that takes a 3D model and turns it into something the printer can understand) runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and you then just copy the result onto an SD card and plug it into the printer. The printer doesn't need to be plugged into a computer at all for normal use. You can also add a raspberry pi (running OctoPi Linux) on the side and send the files over the network: again this is operating system independent.
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 15 Apr 2022, 09:39

on the flip side of Dr. Al's machine, mine cost 170 quid at christmas, setup was a matter of putting the z axis and lead screw on, followed by a bed leveling (manual on this machine, were as Al has mesh levelling). then the requisit first print of a silly little boat.
I use Cura for slicing and FreeCad for designing. both have Mac versions available for free.
I have tweaked a bit as I go, the most sensitive perameters for me being temperatures.
every few weeks I relevel the bed.

yes I've added a few own design bits to the printer as times gone on, none of them were needed, it was simply because I could.

the difference between 170 quid and 700 quid is mainly size (I have a print of 180x180x180mm), rigidity (not that my machine isn't rigid enough mind you) and things like mesh leveling and belt tensioners etc. Al will also be able to get parts for his, long in to the future, I expect I will be modifying parts from other machines to fit in the next 2 years, which I'm fine with.

I'm not saying buy the kingroon by the way, it's a horses for courses type affair, I'd love to have Al's machine, but I don't have the space.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 15 Apr 2022, 12:55

novocaine wrote:on the flip side of Dr. Al's machine, mine cost 170 quid at christmas, setup was a matter of putting the z axis and lead screw on, followed by a bed leveling (manual on this machine, were as Al has mesh levelling). then the requisit first print of a silly little boat.
I use Cura for slicing and FreeCad for designing. both have Mac versions available for free.
I have tweaked a bit as I go, the most sensitive perameters for me being temperatures.
every few weeks I relevel the bed.

yes I've added a few own design bits to the printer as times gone on, none of them were needed, it was simply because I could.

the difference between 170 quid and 700 quid is mainly size (I have a print of 180x180x180mm), rigidity (not that my machine isn't rigid enough mind you) and things like mesh leveling and belt tensioners etc. Al will also be able to get parts for his, long in to the future, I expect I will be modifying parts from other machines to fit in the next 2 years, which I'm fine with.

I'm not saying buy the kingroon by the way, it's a horses for courses type affair, I'd love to have Al's machine, but I don't have the space.

:text-goodpost:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Lons » 15 Apr 2022, 13:22

Mike G wrote: The number of times I've wanted random little plastic parts.

You can see where this might be going, all I can say is get your marking gauge now before it evolves into plastic fake bog oak. :lol: :lol:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools