It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:50

A Few Recent SketchUp Scribbles

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: A Few Recent SketchUp Scribbles

Postby Dave R » 21 Feb 2021, 16:48

This category seems to have died and maybe it's time for this thread to be removed by a moderator. But in the meantime, here're a few of recent things.

Carving detail on a leg for a side table. This was modeled for plans for Fine Woodworking.

This is sort of a mash up of things. The base of the bench is from the plans I made a few years ago for Philip C. Lowe's work bench (He passed away recently) The top and vises came from another workbench and was shortened to fit the base better. That was done as an example for someone who complained that Phil's bench didn't have the right vises. And the thing on top was done as a simplistic example of a slab-flattening jig. I just put it on the bench because I already had the bench model open.

Here's a bed based on a design by woodworker Peter Lutz. He used Danish cord on the headboard. I couldn't be bothered to make a Danish cord texture so I used a wicker texture instead.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Mar 2021, 11:00

Hi Dave

It might not have a lot of additions other than you but I know for a fact it is a valuable resource to many, myself included, so I won’t be removing it ever.

I refer back to this post whenever I’m looking for ideas about how certain shapes look or could be done in sketch up and while I haven’t done much sketch up in a while that’s because I haven’t dine any woodwork in a while. Now I’m on the home stretch with getting the workshop actually working I expect that to change in the not too distant.

I’m sure many others feel the same way.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 02 Mar 2021, 13:17

thanks for sharing Dave. Although I am more of a "bag of a fag* packet" man I do enjoy you posts and I echo Mark's remarks.

In case there is any misunderstand on t'other side of pond, fag is slang for cigarette. :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Phil » 29 Mar 2021, 13:48

I always come and browse, so please post.

Not a SU user, use my manual CAD (Excel), small drawing board and design whatever needs to be botched up :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Dave R » 29 Mar 2021, 21:04

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Mar 2021, 08:56

Very nice Dave.

Hopefully I’ll get myself reacquainted with SU soon. I’ll have to work out which version I use as I still have older versions installed on my Mac, but I imagine I should probably progress to online versions...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Dave R » 30 Mar 2021, 13:57

Thank you for the nice comments all.

TTK: The web version is very usable and has some advantages over the older desktop versions. It is limited by the fact that web browsers can't access the files for extensions. So something like cutlists, or Bezier curves are out. For hobby use you can still get SketchUp 2017 Make and that one can handle extensions.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Mar 2021, 14:00

Thanks Dave, I'll look into both, cheers.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2021, 16:34

TrimTheKing wrote:Very nice Dave.

Hopefully I’ll get myself reacquainted with SU soon. I’ll have to work out which version I use as I still have older versions installed on my Mac, but I imagine I should probably progress to online versions...

I wouldn't, Mark. I find that SU 2017 on my computer works just fine.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 30 Mar 2021, 16:50

RogerS wrote:I wouldn't, Mark. I find that SU 2017 on my computer works just fine.

Roger, if you are keeping your Mac OS up to date you should be aware that Apple's updates may cause SU2017 Make to start misbehaving. There have already been many reports by 2017 users of inverted dimensions with Big Sur. This is a graphics problem that Apple will need to fix.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 14 Apr 2021, 13:58

Last edited by Dave R on 22 Oct 2023, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 14 Apr 2021, 16:40

Dave R wrote:
RogerS wrote:I wouldn't, Mark. I find that SU 2017 on my computer works just fine.

Roger, if you are keeping your Mac OS up to date you should be aware that Apple's updates may cause SU2017 Make to start misbehaving. There have already been many reports by 2017 users of inverted dimensions with Big Sur. This is a graphics problem that Apple will need to fix.

Thanks for the heads up, Dave. I'm holding off on Big Sur for the moment.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 28 Apr 2021, 22:33

I haven't done a whole lot of woodworking related models lately but I did this while watching an old Time Team episode. (I know. They are all old.)

Based on a Dutch wall cabinet from about 1900. Not very big. About 20 inches tall. I don't know what you'd put in it. Maybe a couple of tins of sardines.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2021, 22:44

Curious design. You could possibly display more on the horizontal ledges than fit in the storage section.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dave R » 28 Apr 2021, 22:48

True. Unfortunately there was nothing with the photos to indicate what it would have been used for or even in what room. Maybe it could be for keys by the front door or something. Except here in this house. My wife would have it so full of stuff that it would all fall out when you open a door and the shelves would be loaded with stuff, too. :D
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 10 Jul 2021, 14:21

A guy asked me about modifying a workbench design he liked into a desk. This is what I came up with for him. For a desk I don't really think the diagonal bracing is needed but he's a belt and braces kind of chap.

Here's a link to the original bench.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 14 Jul 2021, 23:57

Today I had a request from a retired naval architect for plans from a model I did a long time ago of L. Francis Herreshoff's drawing table. He designed and built this around 1930. The top is 9 feet long and the drawer is designed to hold large sheets of paper and it can be opened from either side. The thing is also designed to be knocked down for moving and it's held together with tapered pins.

Plans were created from the model in LayOut. Full sized patterns for the curves.

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Jul 2021, 06:39

Thanks for continuing to post your drawings Dave. Not only are they good to look at but also educational.

Unsurprisingly I had never heard of Mr Herreshoff before. Now I do.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 15 Jul 2021, 08:42

Andyp wrote:Thanks for continuing to post your drawings Dave. Not only are they good to look at but also educational.

Unsurprisingly I had never heard of Mr Herreshoff before. Now I do.
+1
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Jul 2021, 09:26

:text-+1:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dave R » 17 Jul 2021, 14:33

Thankee gentlemen.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 21 Jul 2021, 16:59

Old Model. I was looking for something on an old hard drive and came across the model for this dining chair. The chair was designed by and is made by Thos. Moser, afine furniture maker in Maine, US. I did the SketchUp model of this chair as wll as a bunch of others of their furniture pieces to upload to the 3D Warehouse. The intent was to give designers a way to use the furniture in their interiors.

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 21 Jul 2021, 20:59

Dave R wrote:... Thos. Moser, a fine furniture maker in Maine, US.

Ah yes, that was a good find, wasn't it? :)
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 21 Jul 2021, 21:19

Steve Maskery wrote:Ah yes, that was a good find, wasn't it? :)

I think so. ;)
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 21 Jul 2021, 23:02

:) Ignoring the cryptic messages..

I've not checked this thread for a few weeks so not seen that knock down drawing table before. Fascinating idea. If someone actually makes one and there is a picture available please post it or a link to it.

I spent a lot of my early working life at a more modern drawing board but since the advent of CAD that has become just as antique as this plan table design.

Which makes me wonder... do large drawings still get printed on paper any more? I used to draw on A0 and A1 sheets back in the day for contact printing... and then file them in huge upright vertical cabinets that you were scared might fall on you...memories.

Oh and my thanks too for your continued posting Dave.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools