It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:43

EPDM

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

EPDM

Postby Phil Pascoe » 18 Jun 2022, 18:28

I'm thinking to use EPDM for a new shed roof. Is there anything in particular I should know when sourcing and using it? Any suppliers very good or ones to avoid?
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Re: EPDM

Postby Mike G » 18 Jun 2022, 19:16

I used to recommend Rubber4Roofs, but they've got seriously pricey lately. I suggest you check with your local Builder's Merchant. You don't need the extra-thick heavy duty stuff (that's for highly-trafficked flat rooves). Do whatever you can to avoid using the proprietry plastic mouldings that are sold with it, because they are ridiculous money.

Other than that, they're all the same. Use the tacky white latex adhesive for the ordinary parts of the roof, and if you have awkward upstands or external corners to deal with, then use contact adhesive, and the specially-made corner patches and rubber solvent adhesive (same as for tyre punture repairs) where necessary.

If you've a big area, then handling the roll can be a real challenge. It's heavy as hell, and awkward. You'll need a soft broom to brush it out flat and remove bubbles. Start at the middle and work outwards, folding back the sheet to apply the adhesive.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 18 Jun 2022, 20:13

Thank you. Any good reading on the subject? I'm doing this only once. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 18 Jun 2022, 20:48

Not that I know of, Phil.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 18 Jun 2022, 20:53

Rubber 4 roofs do a couple of good you tube videos, but it's very straight forward.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2022, 21:14

I had my flat roof professionally done with felt (three layers) and hot pitch; it was a 'joy' :shock: to watch the lads running up a ladder with jugs of scalding hot tar in their hands. 30 year guarantee - Rob
Last edited by Woodbloke on 19 Jun 2022, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 18 Jun 2022, 22:31

re roofed my shed with EPDM

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3351

Pleased with that so did the workshop too

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3472

Main tip - don't walk on areas where the glue underneath is still wet as the rubber can slide.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Phil Pascoe » 18 Jun 2022, 22:57

Probably a 30 guarantee because the firm will be history long before that. :lol:

I'm not about to pay someone a small fortune, it's a small shed roof. I just don't want problems in the next couple of decades. I won't live that long.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Postby AJB Temple » 20 Jun 2022, 14:58

My wife and I did our slight pitch flat roof (ie it has a gutter fall) which needed a sheet of EPDM that was about 10m by 7m including edge overlaps as we had a thick roof due to insulation. I bought the thicker stuff because I had not had a chat with Mike first :? and assumed it would be better. However, Mike later told me it is functionally no better. Mine did come from Rubber4roofs. Firestone branded I think and had talc on one side. I think the guarantee is 40 years. It's very tough stuff.

It is really heavy if you have a big sheet and handling the weight was our biggest challenge. I bought a soft wide broom, especially (and as Mike suggested above) as you really do need some means of getting the bubbles out. Again, as Mike said, fold it in half and work from the centre. USE PLENTY OF ADHESIVE. If you skimp on adhesive and have dry patches you will have bubbles forever.

It's easy, pretty quick, and I would not dream of using felt again.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MattS » 21 Jun 2022, 16:04

I've used rubber4roofs on a couple of sheds - last time I just went on ebay and found a supplier and I'm sure it's all the same whoever you get it from. I bought it for a porch, log store and shed and one piece was so oversized that I did two out of one so have a very heavy duty tarp now :lol:
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds