It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:52

Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Dans Shed - Large(ish) workshop construction...

Postby Hully » 23 Jan 2017, 16:53

Excellent work Dan, thanks very much putting that together. :text-bravo:
Hully
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 23 Jan 2017, 20:10

In relation to the breather membrane I have no technical knowledge and I accept that I do tend towards belt and braces but I wanted a heavier duty membrane that would be more forgiving of my inexpert handling. There is an inevitability re wind (no gags pls) and and application of membrane so it pays to have a heavier weight material in my view. And this was the first time I had used it was going to be running single handed.The one I used was the Powerlon ultra perm Max... (green) others are indeed available...

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/sea ... +ultraperm

and given that in places I have recently had to go back to the fitting and readjust - round openings etc... its very easy to remove the stainless staples I used and refix.

Its good for use with timber framing, both walls and rooves as the information sheet confirms and the price differential in relation to the overall build is negligible.

BTW - I found the roofing superstore very useful and helpful at a number of stages and and also competitive on price.

:D
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby Paul200 » 07 May 2017, 12:25

Hi Dan. Just finished reading your posts from the beginning. Really nice build - you should be proud. I notice you used a roll of bug mesh with integral vents on your ridge - could you tell me who makes this please? I've been struggling to find this online and even came up with my own DIY version in desperation!

Cheers

Paul
Paul200
Seedling

Name: Paul

Postby Dan0741 » 08 May 2017, 08:58

Paul - Thank you, Im still finishing the faffing elements - door step, doors and electrics etc and im a bit behind posting. The ridge was:

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/pro ... -pack.html

You can get it in different lengths and different colours etc. I would have used a mortar bed but my skills aren't up to that yet. This was a doddle to fit matey. Good weather (warm) helps with the bonding.

Hope that helps,

Dan :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Paul200 » 08 May 2017, 17:27

Thanks Dan. A great help - and I just saw the link in your original post on the ridge! Sorry mate :eusa-doh:

That's a fine looking building you have there and yours and Mike G's processes have both been exceptionally helpful to me in the planning stage. Good luck with all the frilly bits and I hope you'll soon be using it rather than building it.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Paul
Paul200
Seedling

Name: Paul

Postby spearos » 17 May 2017, 16:47

Dan0741 wrote:Then some wood arrived....

These are two pieces of 2x9, 7.2m long. One is my ridge beam, the second is a piece I'm going to cut into two 4x2 and use as my second level on the roof plate, to give the rigidity and options in respect of rafter placement.

One thing that crossed my mind the other day regarding the doubling up of wall plates, can I ask why you wanted the second wall plates in one continuous length?

Cheers
"the true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"
spearos
New Shoots

Name: Mark

Postby Dan0741 » 17 May 2017, 19:06

No worries Spearos - answer - because I thought it would be stronger, didn't want joins near rafter feet and had them delivering a long piece for the ridge beam so to tack another one on didn't increase delivery costs. :D

I started this project an abject amateur and whilst I have learnt a lot im still very much on a steep learning curve. If it helps I wouldn't do it that way again and neither would I use a continuous piece for the ridge. I would have a go at a scarf. There are lots of bits that I did that I wouldn't do again and when I think of the grief I caused myself in some parts I smile because with the benefit of hindsight one can often see a simpler solution and also a cheaper one! :oops:
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby spearos » 18 May 2017, 13:12

Dan0741 wrote:No worries Spearos - answer - because I thought it would be stronger, didn't want joins near rafter feet and had them delivering a long piece for the ridge beam so to tack another one on didn't increase delivery costs. :D

I started this project an abject amateur and whilst I have learnt a lot im still very much on a steep learning curve. If it helps I wouldn't do it that way again and neither would I use a continuous piece for the ridge. I would have a go at a scarf. There are lots of bits that I did that I wouldn't do again and when I think of the grief I caused myself in some parts I smile because with the benefit of hindsight one can often see a simpler solution and also a cheaper one! :oops:

Thanks for that Dan. Appreciated. I was n't on using 'one piece' wall plates however just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! As for the ridge, I think I'll find out the cost difference first!
"the true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination"
spearos
New Shoots

Postby Dan0741 » 04 Jun 2017, 22:24

So Gents - apologies for delays with these posts, but other commitments have frustrated my own posting. :oops:

I have built a fireplace - which in a wooden shed isnt easy....

Just a reminder - this is what i plan to install.

So a heat shield was required. I have started by removing the insulation and filling with offcuts.

Installed some hardiebacker board.

And because I am a belt and braces fella, installed another shield with a 40mm air gap. I used copper pipe with a steel screw to ensure full compliance with regs.

I have made the shield deeper, wider and taller than regs require so i have some wiggle room if required.

Basically the heat shield reduces the distance required by regs from combustibles by half.

I have put a surround around and a mantelpiece.

I need to do a hearth, but as far as im aware, and i've studied the regs in detail. I think this is compliant.

In other news I have built a few doors to replace the boarded up versions I have currently installed.

These were a bit tricky because I wanted a method that closed the doors securely, and was weatherproof, and in essence i have a lip on the outside of one door that holds the other door closed. They will always have to be opened in the same order, but thats no problem. I plan to install later in the summer and will put a hole in the concrete to accommodate a brass tube to slide a bolt into.

I made a step.....

I had to move some OSB that has been sitting on the ground preventing me sinking into mud. The top had dried out and was a bit rough...

I tried to video taking it out but on my own it became a bit of a chore, but my son still hasn't forgiven me.

So laid a concrete base to the required height then set a bit of timber to indicate radius. Then cut bricks to size and shape.

The brickwork was difficult and im not confident with bricks and mortar, but given this is my first stab at it, i think it came out ok. Its certainly fine on levels, the gaps should be 10mm and some are a bit big or small but generally i think it looks passable.

And finally someone gave me a wooden workbench which is substantially better than the frame i have been using!

Electrics is next, I have done the first fix, photos to come soon. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 05 Jun 2017, 08:29

Nice step, Dan. Well done. The difficult thing with that brickwork is keeping the mortar off the face of the bricks, and we'll be able to see how well you've done that when you post a photo in the next day or two showing it "dry". ;)

I'm about to do a set of steps with 4 curved risers in bricks, with the difference being that there will be a stone tread, and so only the face of the riser will show. It won't need to be so neat behind.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 05 Jun 2017, 08:56

Looking good- are you going to build a path to the step?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 Jun 2017, 11:46

Workshop, fireplace, mantelpiece. Really? :) This must be a first.
Excellently done and a lovely step too. All very posh.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jun 2017, 18:47

Miles neater than my brickwork!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dan0741 » 10 Jun 2017, 21:38

The bit that frustrates me the most is I ran out of sand within about 3 bricks of the end and used some different stuff which was a slightly darker colour, so the inserts on the right have a lively purple mortar pointing which will make me curse under my breath every time I enter and leave. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 10 Jun 2017, 21:46

Don't worry. All the grime, mud and moss will soon make the pointing universally muddy grey-brown.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Jun 2017, 14:31

Looking great Dan. Bloody posh fireplace for a workshop that!! :lol: :eusa-clap:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Dan0741 » 13 Jun 2017, 21:31

Stop taking the Mick - it keeps the Missus onside with a 'multi use building' and the mantle took about 40 mins... :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby RogerS » 14 Jun 2017, 05:56

TrimTheKing wrote:Looking great Dan. Bloody posh fireplace for a workshop that!! :lol: :eusa-clap:

Cheers
Mark

There'll be carpet next. You mark my words :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jun 2017, 08:55

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Looking great Dan. Bloody posh fireplace for a workshop that!! :lol: :eusa-clap:

Cheers
Mark

There'll be carpet next. You mark my words :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2017, 11:38

lol !
I have shag pile in mine, folded in half and hessian side up. makes it easier on the feet in all the standing positions.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds