It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:51

Mike's greenhouse and potting shed (finished)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's greenhouse and potting shed (finished)

Postby Mike G » 26 Apr 2021, 17:45

I subtracted 8mm from the frame opening size to give me the outside dimensions of the casements. That was 4mm all round, obviously. However, with a thick build-up of paint and a minor variation here and there, I had to get the plane out a couple of times.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 07 May 2021, 10:32

Looks really good, fantastic work - I can visualise it with a growing vine.
What grape are you looking for?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 07 May 2021, 12:19

Thanks Rod. We've planted a Lakemont Seedless vine.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 07 May 2021, 12:41

Mike G wrote:I added some diagonal bracing, from 16mm diameter steel rod.

Is this always part of the design, out of an abundance of caution, or an unexpected requirement ? (Sorry if I've missed this somewhere). It looks pretty sturdy without from where I am sitting ?
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Mike G » 07 May 2021, 12:53

It was always planned, although at one stage I was going to plant some timber on the underside of the rafters to do the same job. I offered both options to the design committee, and this was the preference that emerged, in particular because having stuff overhead you can tie things to in a greenhouse is apparently important.

As for "looks sturdy". Well, yes, it is, but try this experiment. Go and hold a sheet of ply vertically in a stiff wind. Now, imagine those forces acting on the end of the greenhouse for month after month, year after year. In 10 years time it wouldn't be hard to imagine quite some wobble in the corner joints.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 07 May 2021, 13:41

Mike G wrote:As for "looks sturdy". Well, yes, it is, but try this experiment. Go and hold a sheet of ply vertically in a stiff wind.

Who needs to do this experiment ? It is well known that a stiff wind is always invoked when you begin to manhandle sheet goods outdoors :lol: I thought it was not likely to be a miscalculation.

My dad has a fairly large cedar greenhouse. When it was new he and my mother spend a windy evening serving as ballast to stop it blowing away, after which it got an angle iron frame added in the middle, and a circuit of 3" heating pipes which were arranged to weight it down rather. It's still there after 50 or 60 years, so it did the job !
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby MikeJ460 » 12 May 2021, 22:26

Hi Mike, I'm about to construct the roof on mine and am pretty much following your design so have a couple of questions about your rooflights as I've never made them.
1. I see the upstands fit into the rafter rebates but do they sit on the foam or did you just glue/screw them in?
2. How do the rooflights fit, do they sit directly on the upstand or are the upstands rebated to hold the rooflights i.e. mirroring the rafters/mullions?
3. How is rain prevented from getting in? (This will probably be covered by answers to the above)

thanks

Mike
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 May 2021, 07:24

Hi Mike.

1/ The rooflight upstands, you mean? If so, they go directly into the rebates, glued and sealed with the Hippo 3 stuff.

2/ The rooflights sit outside the upstands, enclosing them.

3/ See 2.

Just a word on the design of the rooflights. There isn't room for them to be side-by-side, so you've either got to space them out, or do doubles. If you do double ones, like mine, then you need more powerful openers as they are too heavy for ordinary ones.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 13 May 2021, 13:10

Excellent thanks.
The two rooflights will be doubles separated by two rafter spans and with mullions like yours. I'm permanently fixing the sides today then I've got a couple of days of routing ahead of me again.

I'm itching to get started on the workshop although...
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 19 May 2021, 14:34

Hi Mike
I've been testing the rubber glazing seal I planned to use but there's not much give it it and I'm concerned that any shrinkage in the frame following hot weather may cause leaks. Are you still happy with your choice following weeks of rain? What thickness did you compress it down to?

thanks

Mike
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 19 May 2021, 14:38

Yep, it's brilliant stuff. Mine works from 2mm to 10mm, from memory, but there are plenty of alternatives giving different ranges.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 05 Apr 2022, 13:04

Mike, I'm wondering which auto openers to use on my roof lights and as the design is the same as yours could you tell me which type you bought and where from please?

thanks
Mike
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds