It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:17

Mike's greenhouse and potting shed (finished)

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Mike's greenhouse and potting shed (rooflights & doors)

Postby MikeJ460 » 09 Apr 2021, 22:57

Hi Mike
This is looking very good indeed, I applaud your skills and attention to detail. I'm also building a lean-to greenhouse and I've just completed the dwarf stone wall.

Apart from the ironstone wall mine will be far more utilitarian and built from treated C24. I'm considering using Bedec Barn Paint Anthracite Satin as I've used it elsewhere in the garden and it is extremely good stuff.

What is the paint you (or rather your daughter :D ) used as the green mist coat and what Bedec top coat are you going to use?

Finally did you seal the ends of the sills before using the Hippo Pro 3?

thanks

Mike
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 Apr 2021, 07:51

Interesting questions, Mike. The other half of this building is a potting shed, and I painted that with Bedec Barn Paint. I tried to order Bedec Multi-Surface Paint in the same colour for the greenhouse, because it is the paint designed for planed timber. However, Bedec don't do MSP in that colour. I had a lengthy conversation with the technical people at Bedec, and they said I should use Barn Paint, which surprised me. The only thing they said was to make the mist coat slightly thinner, and to build up an extra coat. So, the inside of the building gets 1 mist coat and two top coats of Barn Paint (Dark Green). The outside gets 1 mist coat and 3 top coats, all except the cill, which gets 4 top coats.

I'm really please with how well it has worked. There have been no issues at all.

No, I didn't prime the mitres of the cills. The Hippo Pro 3 completely fills the joint, is flexible, waterproof, and paintable. I couldn't see any advantage in priming or sealing, because the Hippo stuff is sort-of doing the same job anyway. I growing to really like the stuff......much easier to use than silicon, and yet you can do a silicon-type bead at junctions. It's really handy that it's paintable. And the big deal is how flexible it is when set.

Now come on.......let's see your photos! ;)
Last edited by Mike G on 15 Apr 2021, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 11 Apr 2021, 15:36

Hi Mike
Thanks for the advice, I 've posted my progress as a new thread so as not to detract from yours

cheers

Mike
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Re: Mike's greenhouse and potting shed (finished)

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 19:02

I think we'd left this at the completion of one door, so let's carry on from there.

Obviously, I made a second door, very much the same as the first. I then fitted them into the frame and chopped out for hinges:

Fitting allowed me to work out the size of the rebates in the meeting stiles:

I glued and pinned in some ply, and pinned in some bead (aaarrrgh.....mitres!) to hold it:

After offering the frame up into place, I discovered that its best position had it projecting from the face of the greenhouse frame. This was fine on the verticals, but meant I had a "shelf" at the top on which water could sit. So I planed up an off-cut to make a door head drip thingy:

That got a drip groove after that photo was taken.

Next, I grabbed my router. The one with a cable. It's been a while since it has seen any action. But I'd got 18 window hinge sockets to house out, and I'd got a jig I made for the same size hinges in the kitchen, so why not:

Actually fitting the windows into place was a bit awkward until I worked out this method:

The weather took me indoors for a while, so I made some staging out of 2x1 treated battens:

This detail is the one that has kept me awake at night. I hate back gutters, but there was an inevitability about having two of them once I opted for rooflights. It's absolutely essential to get a substantial fall side-to-side on a back gutter, becuase it is certain that leaves and bird droppings will accumulate there and potentially block them up. Here's what I came up with (it produced lots of shavings):

The leadwork had to be mainly done before the glazing was fitted, because access would be reduced to all-but-nil afterwards. I did the preparatory work at ground level:

Then popped them up into place. There were five pieces of lead this time, with one behind each rooflight, and separate pieces between:

The glass arrived:

A couple of pieces were broken:

I started the glazing by making up some lead strips and screwing them in place:

I puttied in the windows and the rooflights, slowly at first, but neater and quicker as I got into the job:

This is the stuff which was going to make the roof simple. Not just that, but if any panes ever broke, replacement will be straightforward:

https://www.expandingfoamtape.co.uk/collections/2-6mm/products/exp6102612

It is sticky on one side, and the foam is impregnated with some magic goo which makes it waterproof and watertight. It is about 2mm thick on the roll, but expands up to about 12 or 15mm thick if allowed (the less is expands, the more severe the conditions in which it remains watertight):

It only took an afternoon to glaze the entire roof:

Here is the glass with expanding foam tape above and below, and the cover strip:

Following the principle of always having an indoor and an outdoor job on the go, in case of bad weather, I had made a start on the cold-frame:

The windows had 6 joints, obviously. Every last one different! This is because the top and bottom rail were different thicknesses, as were the two stiles. I have 5 marking gauges, and they were all in use for this joint-fest. Here's just one:

I fitted the coldframe into place with some jollop and a few screws and plugs, then cobbled up a system for holding the lids open:

Fitting the ironmongery took most of a day. I didn't take a photo of my home-made rebate latch arrangement, but doing that and 9 window stays and latches, and fitting the rooflight automatic openers was a fair amount of work:

So barring glazing the coldframe and a final coat of paint, that's it, finished.

Last edited by Mike G on 15 Apr 2021, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Apr 2021, 19:09

First class job. Sits in the landscape nicely.

I've made a note of that tape.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 11 Apr 2021, 19:23

Brilliant!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 19:29

AJB Temple wrote:......I've made a note of that tape.

It is often known by the brand name "Compriband", but that company doesn't sell to the public. Where it has been the difference between success and failure for me is in green oak framed conservatories, where I use it both for direct glazing to the frame, and for fitting windows frames to the framing. The frames can then twist and shrink as much as they like, and the glazing is safe from breaking.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 19:32

NickM wrote:Brilliant!

Thanks Nick. My wife agrees with you. :lol: :eusa-dance:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Apr 2021, 19:39

Thanks Mike. I am sure I will track it down. Wish I had heard of it before.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 11 Apr 2021, 19:41

Looks really fantastic Mike, though I won’t be showing it to my wife

Round here we call that tape compriband and is available in different thicknesses. It’s used a lot in green oak framing to take up the gap between the oak and other elements as the oak shrinks back to keep a weathertight seal. Such as where the oak abuts masonry or where the frame has direct glazing onto it. I can confirm it works a treat (I have built both scenarios into my house)

Regards

Mark

Edit looks like Mike types quicker than me
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 19:48

the bear wrote:.......I won’t be showing it to my wife......

You're not the first forumite who has said something similar!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MikeJ460 » 11 Apr 2021, 19:57

Excellent job Mike you should be very proud. I'm following quickly in your footsteps and the glass seal I have chosen is this https://www.screwfix.com/p/stormguard-d ... -25m/43490

What did you use to clamp over the roof panes as it looks like fence panel capping? It looks to be ideal. As a personal preference I'm not planning to use putty on the verticals but haven't settled on an alterative yet.

cheers

Mike
MikeJ460
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Apr 2021, 20:16

Those cover strips on the roof are just planed up bits of Douglas fir, same as the rest of the building.

If you don't use putty, you need beads or cover strips. There's a degree of buggeration whichever way you go.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Apr 2021, 20:57

Love it Mike, looks fantastic. Show us some pics in 6 months of it populated and in use.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Apr 2021, 21:08

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Apr 2021, 07:46

Nice job; plenty of brownie points earned there :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Apr 2021, 07:52

brilliant Mike. and the veg plot looks large enough to feed an army.

:text-+1: for photos in a month of so time.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 12 Apr 2021, 08:27

Thanks guys. I'll update in a few weeks with the place full of growth. It looks like the grape vine we wanted is unavailable anywhere in the country, so that will have to wait until the autumn.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 12 Apr 2021, 08:38

Just realised that I cannot see any power in the greenhouse.
I haven’t either at the moment but I do miss my old set up of a small wooden cold frame with a soil warming cable that was great for bringing on seedlings at this time of year.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 12 Apr 2021, 09:13

The cable is in the ground and poking up inside the potting shed, but it can't be connected until I have built the garage as that is where the cable starts. I started yesterday, so we should have power out there in the next few weeks. Obviously there is water laid on, and in due course I'll be doing guttering and a butts.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 12 Apr 2021, 12:10

Love it mike, I've always wanted to have something similar on the end of my house.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby pitch pine » 12 Apr 2021, 18:49

Beautiful Mike. I think it looks so nice because of the tree next to it in blossom, giving the impression it has been there forever.
pitch pine
New Shoots

Name: nick

Postby Mike G » 12 Apr 2021, 18:59

wallace wrote:Love it mike, I've always wanted to have something similar on the end of my house.

Thanks Wallace.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 12 Apr 2021, 19:01

pitch pine wrote:Beautiful Mike. I think it looks so nice because of the tree next to it in blossom, giving the impression it has been there forever.

Thanks Nick. That's a greengage. I reckon it was probably struck by lighting, as it is split in half, rotten in the middle, and looking very precarious indeed. I fully expect it to come crashing down onto the greenhouse one day.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Apr 2021, 20:09

Looks amazing Mike, I daren’t show Mrs Woodstalker! Do you grow much veg? We did last year more than ever with my apocalyptic view of Covid plus we hatched the ducks too. This year I have made better raised veg beds and narrowed a load of manure from the stables up the lane down. Mrs W has an absolute ton of veg already at the seedling stage but we are hanging on before we plant due to the really late frost we get. Did a real dent in the sweetcorn last year.

I did try and persuade Mrs W to go for a polytunnel but she is not keen on the look of them.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds