It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:57

New shed/lean-to - Hinging doors...?

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: New shed/lean-to - Nearly weatherproof!

Postby Phil » 08 Feb 2021, 13:52

Nice Mark.

Looks like a good place to chill out, view the garden and drink a few beers.

Make some noise now and again, everybody thinks you are working :lol: :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby novocaine » 08 Feb 2021, 13:59

still think the garden tools can stay where they are and this becomes the smallest pub in grappenhall.

the "woodmanglers retreat" seems like a good name for a pub, not sure where I heard it though. :D

or the "fingerless miller" perhaps?
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 08 Feb 2021, 14:06

I always thought Phoenix and Firkin was a good pub name.

As in phoenix my pint I'll firkin hit him.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 08 Feb 2021, 14:13

we have the preston brook which affectionally became known as the pist and broke, which after a night on the ale there you often were.

I want to open a bike shop come cafe (because that's the only way to make money as a bricks and mortar bike shop these days) and call it the peddler's legs, purely so that someone, somewhere, someday will say, with a straight face " Just nipping up the peddler's legs, they should be open by the time I get there" :)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Feb 2021, 16:24

Andyp wrote:I always thought Phoenix and Firkin was a good pub name.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't heard that one before. Brilliant!! :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 08 Feb 2021, 16:51

Malc2098 wrote:
Andyp wrote:I always thought Phoenix and Firkin was a good pub name.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't heard that one before. Brilliant!! :D

Takes me back to my yoof.
https://www.goodbeergoodpubs.co.uk/arti ... rkin-pubs/
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 17:36

So this weekend was a bit of a write off regarding this build. I went out on both days with good intentions of getting the roof slated, figured once I cut all the battens it wouldn't take me more than a day to slate the whole thing, it is only 8 square metres after all...

Well, I planned meticulously using this site as guidance (very handy, clear concise and easy for the layman), and laid out my battens to the 'correct' gauge (note the ' ' ...) and set to cutting the eaves row, confirming the spacings and fixing them.

Then...I realised that I'd mis-measured when fixing them and they were on a slope, so they had to come off again! Threw a hissy fit and went inside for a brew and to warm up the three fingers on my hammer hand that I had completely lost all feeling in despite wearing gloves (it was between -1 + 1 Deg C all weekend).

Back outside 30 mins later to take them off, breaking a couple in the process and re-fixed them in the correct place. Continued up from the bottom left corner, soaker, slate, slate, soaker, slate, slate, then... Realised that I didn't have the double lap that I'd planned! Not only did I not have the 100mm double lap I'd planned for, I literally had no lap! The bottom of row three only just reached the top of row 1!!!

Another hissy, another brew and warm and tried to work out what went wrong. Re-watched the video a number of times then it clicked, all his calcs are based on slates nailed just over halfway up...mine are top nailed! :eusa-doh:

Re-worked the batten gauge based on my new found information (175mm rather than the original 230 I had used) and called it a day.

This morning I come down, sort kids out for schooling, answer a few job hunting emails and LinkedIn messages and back outside it is. Off they all come again, only one breakage this time (well not all, eaves slate and row one could stay, it was the second slate batten and all after that needed to come off. Battens off and re-fixed in the correct place and start re-fitting slates (after confirming the double lap is there before fixing anything!!).

Most done then inside to warm, brew and sort lunch for kids, then back out and knocked the rest off. Still need to cut the ridge row and fix them but I'm in for a warm, a brew and to write this first.

IMG_4379.JPG
(446.31 KiB)

IMG_4380.JPG
Almost...
(370.6 KiB)

Might leave the other side until tomorrow as the light's starting to drop and it's -1 with a gentle breeze, so might stay in the warm and do something with the kids instead!

Until tomorrow...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Feb 2021, 17:43

Looking nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 09 Feb 2021, 17:55

Steady, if erratic, progress Mark ;) I have a slate ripper you're welcome to borrow. :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 09 Feb 2021, 18:07

Looking good Mark! 8-)
The C-U-F tends to let one waste a lot of time.

Although far too much time wasted on brewing and warming (bit of a wimp? :lol: :lol: )
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 18:14

Phil wrote:Looking good Mark! 8-)
The C-U-F tends to let one waste a lot of time.

Although far too much time wasted on brewing and warming (bit of a wimp? :lol: :lol: )

Yep the CUF certainly had her input in this part of the build!

Normally I wouldn't bother with brews and warming, but I genuinely lost all feeling and control in fingers 3/4/5 on my right hand even though I was wearing thick work gloves. I could have stayed out longer but I wouldn't have been able to do anything, I couldn't grip the hammer! :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 19:46

I battled the urge to stay in the warm and went back out. One side now finished with top row of half slates completed.

I'll go back out to the workshop after tea and cut up the battening required for the other side and tyr and knock that on the head tomorrow.

Any thoughts on ridge detail? In the spirit of this being a build made of reclaimed, scrounged or existing materials I am loathed to buy anything unless I have to, but I know that I don't have enough lead to do the remaining soakers, flashings AND to do the ridge in lead. So do I buy more lead, or a few ridge tiles to match the ones on the workshop and do it properly to match that? Thoughts?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 09 Feb 2021, 19:56

Don't forget the row of half-slates at the ridge....and don't forget to leave yourself access to the ridge (usually by leaving two courses off). I think you should definitely do a proper tiled ridge, but don't do it in winter. The mortar won't cooperate. That's a job for spring.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 20:03

Mike G wrote:Don't forget the row of half-slates at the ridge....and don't forget to leave yourself access to the ridge (usually by leaving two courses off). I think you should definitely do a proper tiled ridge, but don't do it in winter. The mortar won't cooperate. That's a job for spring.

Thanks Mike

I’ve been out tonight and done the half-slate row so that side is complete.

Understood on the ridge. It should be fine with the slates and Tyvek beneath until spring yes?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 09 Feb 2021, 20:07

You can always use a piece of upvc guttering inverted as a temporary ridge capping. Long screws through into the ridge board.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 09 Feb 2021, 20:12

TrimTheKing wrote:.... It should be fine with the slates and Tyvek beneath until spring yes?

Goodness yes. The top slates which are at risk of blowing off in a gale, but the roof itself won't leak.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 09 Feb 2021, 20:33

Just seen this Mark. Looking good with the slates up!
Don't let anyone mock your hands. After 20 years cleaning windows at high level in UK winters I suffer badly from acute burning sensation now after a certain amount of time in real cold. Working today in the snow and wind was getting right on my proverbials. I just find it grim these days.
Anyway, I was actually writing in response to the bamboo. My mrs is the gardener here and I don't even get involved anymore (except to agree that yes she was right about that plant she put in after all. Lovely job). We have several varieties, I like the black ones, but a tip I might share that really helps is to strip the leaves of the bottom 1/3 or half of the stalks. It frees up the beds for low level planting and really stops them being overbearing. They just look nicer, more structural etc.
On unbridled growth, some species are worse than others. Any runners that come up should be terminated with extreme violence in any case if you want to contain them in the long run it's better to take a 'Stalinist approach' to weeding out troublemakers early on :)
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 20:38

Mike G wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:.... It should be fine with the slates and Tyvek beneath until spring yes?

Goodness yes. The top slates which are at risk of blowing off in a gale, but the roof itself won't leak.

Excellent, ta.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Tiresias » 09 Feb 2021, 20:40

Oh Mark. -1C?

-5C in the valley here, so -8C where we are and dropping. Southern softie. Do take that in the gentle spirit in which it is meant.

Actually, I was up one of our roofs last year with our roofers (ladders and ropes, 15m height - at least one member on here will know the drill). It was cold. They came down every 20 mins so they could move their fingers. The lad had a mardy strop with his faither. Not surprised.

Keep at it. You are doing doing well.
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

New shed/lean-to - Nearly weatherproof!

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 20:40

Chris101 wrote:Just seen this Mark. Looking good with the slates up!
Don't let anyone mock your hands. After 20 years cleaning windows at high level in UK winters I suffer badly from acute burning sensation now after a certain amount of time in real cold. Working today in the snow and wind was getting right on my proverbials. I just find it grim these days.
Anyway, I was actually writing in response to the bamboo. My mrs is the gardener here and I don't even get involved anymore (except to agree that yes she was right about that plant she put in after all. Lovely job). We have several varieties, I like the black ones, but a tip I might share that really helps is to strip the leaves of the bottom 1/3 or half of the stalks. It frees up the beds for low level planting and really stops them being overbearing. They just look nicer, more structural etc.
On unbridled growth, some species are worse than others. Any runners that come up should be terminated with extreme violence in any case if you want to contain them in the long run it's better to take a 'Stalinist approach' to weeding out troublemakers early on :)

Yeah it’s a weird one with my fingers, never experienced this before, don’t know if it’s from using the hammer maybe exacerbating it but very painful.

Needs must though if I ever want to actually use my workshop for the fun of making things and not just storing crap in! A brew and a warm every hour should see me right.

Good tips on the bamboo too. I really like that corner but Christ only knows how that palm is thriving as it is! That was a ground level palm when it was put in 8 or so years ago and it must be a good 10 foot tall now!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 20:50

Tiresias wrote:Oh Mark. -1C?

-5C in the valley here, so -8C where we are and dropping. Southern softie. Do take that in the gentle spirit in which it is meant.

Actually, I was up one of our roofs last year with our roofers (ladders and ropes, 15m height - at least one member on here will know the drill). It was cold. They came down every 20 mins so they could move their fingers. The lad had a mardy strop with his faither. Not surprised.

Keep at it. You are doing doing well.

Haha, you definitely win that one, though with the wind chill my thermometer said the ‘Real Feel’ temp was -6. It’s actually okay out there with my fleece, jacket and hat on, just the fingers taking a battering, and only on the right hand which makes me think it has to be related to using the hammer as my left hand is fine.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 09 Feb 2021, 21:17

Tiresias wrote:Oh Mark. -1C?

-5C in the valley here, so -8C where we are and dropping. Southern softie. Do take that in the gentle spirit in which it is meant. ......

There are two issues with doing rooves in those temperatures, aside from the mild discomfort. Firstly, the tiles or slates stick together terribly. Secondly, scaffolding and battens can become extremely slippery, making the job pretty dangerous.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 09 Feb 2021, 21:24

Here's an interesting little wind chill calculator.
https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/wind ... y_txt.html
A handy chart.
http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Weather-Wind-Chill-aspx

At 15 mph, (gentle really especially at ground level), O 'C will drop to minus 6.
What's REALLY worth taking into account is exposure time.
Now I grabbed this chart off the net so no guarantee of veracity and we're only looking at a tiny portion of the scale in the UK of course, but lots of the charts offer similar data. Safe to say it's based loosely on real data at least. ;)

c0eee0aeb3b6403a1061d022a5db973f.jpg
(165.47 KiB)

Any....way.... I've been cold and grumpy for two days. Can you tell? :eusa-violin:
Back to porches!
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 09 Feb 2021, 23:23

Mark...re cold hands. Do any of your fingers go white at the tips ? If so, Reynaud's ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Feb 2021, 23:44

RogerS wrote:Mark...re cold hands. Do any of your fingers go white at the tips ? If so, Reynaud's ?

Nope, no whiteness and never experienced anything like this before. Just really REALLY cold fingertips on right hand. Ring finger cold to the point of getting painful, middle finger cold but not as bad, index cold but less still that middle.

Thumb and little finger chilly but okay. Everything back to normal after 10-15 mins back in the house.

Think it’s just because of the mix of cold, wind and hammering but it has concerned me slightly so will keep an eye.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Workshop Builds