It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:38

Re: Workshop with Tiled roof - Eaves Fillers

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Postby gerryknowles » 02 Mar 2021, 12:43

IMG_7538.JPG
Workshop
(121.68 KiB)
Dear All, I am hoping someone can answer what I hope is a simple question. I am building a workshop 9m x 2.7m , I have just installed the rafters and this weekend I am going to fill in the eaves. The workshop is for storage mainly so I am not insulating it and will be using a permeable membrane batten and tile on the roof ( pitch 36 degrees) . I have looked at other builds and it seems fairly standard to fit the eaves fillers flush to the rafters by planing the edges. Mike G and others have put up diagrams showing that there should be a gap between the eaves fillers and the roof to provide ventilation but not many seem to do this in practice. So if I install eaves fillers flush to the rafters ie no air gap does the breatheable membrane provide enough air flow or do I need to somehow add ventilation? Any help appreciated and hope I have articulated this well enough? I have attached an image which is a couple of weeks old but hopefully will give you an idea of what I am up to
gerryknowles
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2021, 14:26

I believe ventilation is only vital where the structure/construction method can trap air. If you have no insulation and no ceiling cladding then there should be enough air circulating to prevent any trapped moisture causing rot.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby gerryknowles » 02 Mar 2021, 14:39

Ah OK yes that would make sense , thanks for the reply Bob
gerryknowles
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Mar 2021, 15:47

Gerry, that old drwing of mine is based on an Onduline corrugated roof sheeting, and the assumption is that the material is vapour impermeable. With tiles of almost any description, and with breather membrane, there is no need whatsoever for air admittance at the eaves. Further, you can omit the ventilation at the top of the wall, if you are using feather edge board (there are enough gaps with that anyway). However, if you are usinig a sheet cladding or a render then you'll need the ventilation.

What are the notches out of the gable rafters for? Are they for a roof ladder and verge overhang?

Welcome to the forum, BTW. That's a nice looking building you've got there. Nice to see a well built shed, even if it is only for storage.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby gerryknowles » 02 Mar 2021, 19:16

Hi Mike , Thanks for the reply. Yes the notches are there as I want to create a 2ft overhang at the front of the workshop. The large entrance on view is to get my lawnmower in and out and by chance it is just big enough to get a Caterham 7 in as well ( a bit of a pipe dream and subject to approval by she who should be obeyed sometime in the future). I have really enjoyed building it so far , its amazing how immersed you can get in a project like this and it has astounded me how a fairly simple shape building requires so much thought and planning. I hope that when its finished I may be able to help others as by God these forums have been so useful, there is no way I could have done this pre internet
gerryknowles
Seedling

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds