It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:25

David's Workshop Build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: David's Workshop Build

Postby Regex » 16 Jul 2022, 22:59

So I took this past week off from work, and was making cracking progress on the cladding. Starting to look really good and almost finished 3 sides.
left.jpg
(367.29 KiB)

front.jpg
(410.58 KiB)

right.jpg
(386.81 KiB)

But then, disaster...

The nails were rusting within minutes of cont act with water!!
nail.jpg
(40.76 KiB)

The steel nails I'd bought were not stainless steel, but a chinese grade "q195". They would all rust and stain over time, so I had no choice but to remove all the planks again. I spent the last two days with a crow bar prizing them all lose again without doing too much damage. The new stainless steel nails will arrive tomorrow :obscene-drinkingcheers:

planks.jpg
(422.79 KiB)
Regex
Seedling

Name: David

Re: David's Workshop Build

Postby Regex » 16 Jul 2022, 23:06

On a side note, the nails seemed to be leaving a black residue, almost like a burn mark after only two days of being on the wall.
black marks.jpg
(201.98 KiB)

black marks 2.jpg
(152.27 KiB)

Does anyone know what might be causing this? It almost looks like charring, even inside the nail hole.

Some missed hammer blows also seemed to be distributing whatever was on the nails.
hammer marks.jpg
(178.85 KiB)
Regex
Seedling

Name: David

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds