It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:25

What Three Words

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: What Three Words

Postby RogerS » 19 Apr 2021, 21:16

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Droogs, I am quite often visiting at train.held.monkey. Lovely part of the world.

Sam

They say stick.it.in is even nicer ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 20 Apr 2021, 09:45

I am an ignoramus at this. It was originally touted in my bike club by a member as ideal for summoning emergency services to an unplanned excursion into the scenery. (The medic guy who came to our club to do CPR training rubbished it though).

However, let's say that my scenic visit occurs in the extremes of outer Sevenoaks, on the south side of the deer park, where mobile signal is nil despite this being 20 miles from central London and in one of the most expensive parts of this green and pleasant land.

How do I know what the 3 words are for the ditch I am lying in, when I have no mobile signal to get on an app to find them?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 20 Apr 2021, 09:54

AJB Temple wrote:I am an ignoramus at this. It was originally touted in my bike club by a member as ideal for summoning emergency services to an unplanned excursion into the scenery. (The medic guy who came to our club to do CPR training rubbished it though).

However, let's say that my scenic visit occurs in the extremes of outer Sevenoaks, on the south side of the deer park, where mobile signal is nil despite this being 20 miles from central London and in one of the most expensive parts of this green and pleasant land.

How do I know what the 3 words are for the ditch I am lying in, when I have no mobile signal to get on an app to find them?

The good news or the bad news ?

The good news is that you will have the W3W app on your phone and it uses GPS.

The bad news...if you don't have a mobile signal then you're stuffed in every which way !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 20 Apr 2021, 23:28

AJB Temple wrote:How do I know what the 3 words are for the ditch I am lying in

crap.not.again
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby ScaredyCat » 25 Apr 2021, 10:22

It gets worse the more you look at it.

Blue are pairs under 1-2km apart, red 2-5km apart.

ScaredyCat
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 25 Apr 2021, 10:38

I guess is is to be expected if a random selection of the three words from the vocabulary is made with no checking criteria of minimum distance for repeats.
It also seems poor that plurals have been included in the vocab.
Lack of forethought really on the basic sound idea that words are more easily transmitted/retained than arcane strings of numbers, letters and punctuation as used in the google scheme.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby ScaredyCat » 25 Apr 2021, 10:55

9fingers wrote:I guess is is to be expected if a random selection of the three words from the vocabulary is made with no checking criteria of minimum distance for repeats.

Especially if you make the claim that similar or the same words are spread apart to eliminate the problem, and then go on to use this as a major component of your advertising.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Postby droogs » 25 Apr 2021, 11:58

They are not really using much of the english languages lexicon. There is no sign of a discombobulated.maladroit.peon. marked anywhere near my vicinity
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Terrytpot » 09 Sep 2021, 17:15

Personally I find it a wonderful tool for sharing a precise location as there are way too many complicated ways to be precise where it's even easier to end up far adrift through a simple user error that won't give any feedback as being incorrect. Quite how newbie posties find some places when all they have is a postcode to steer them is beyond me, and as an artic driver who is obviously restricted with what routes I can follow, being sent the right way at a T junction when the post code applies in both directions can be VERY important to me. W3W's biggest failing for me is the fact that if I want to share, or navigate to a location I need to know where it is in the first place, however, once you do know it's fairly good at being shared (just not with my BMW :oops: )
Terrytpot
Seedling

Name:

Postby firedfromthecircus » 10 Sep 2021, 11:56

Two things.
1: What's wrong with grid references? Very accurate and a well known and long used system.

2: Who is paying for the app? It's free to download and free to use, but these things aren't free. So who is paying? Is your location data being sold to someone, and if so, why?

Now where is the tin-foil hat smiley?
firedfromthecircus
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Sep 2021, 12:25

firedfromthecircus wrote:Two things.
1: What's wrong with grid references? Very accurate and a well known and long used system.

But not suitable for your average punter, let's be frank.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 10 Sep 2021, 12:41

As well as wondering about the commercial model for W3W, I'm curious as to how it works.

If I put my phone into airplane mode so there is no way that the app can "phone home" I can still get a W3W string for locations all over the world and being a skeptic, I've noted the string for one place, gone somewhere else and come back to the previous spot and got the same string.
So from within the App it must be calculating the string as there would be not enough memory just to look it up.
The fatal flaw is still that out in the sticks with no phone signal, whilst you can get your W3W string with just the app and GPS, you can't tell anyone where you are other than send a runner to find civilisation and contact the emergency services.

I do find it useful to give to visitors or freecyclers to my home which is down a one way lane with the sat-nav postcode centre way past my house in a cul-de-sac. Previously I would say turn into the lane and stop at the second lamp post but so many people missed the first lamppost and so ended up too far down the road and not able to turn round.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 13 Sep 2021, 12:51

Postcodes are worse than useless here.
First two numbers indicate the departement (large county) next 3 numbers indicate, for us, 4 villages, possibly 2000 inhabitants.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 13 Sep 2021, 13:24

Andyp wrote:Postcodes are worse than useless here.
First two numbers indicate the departement (large county) next 3 numbers indicate, for us, 4 villages, possibly 2000 inhabitants.

Even worse in rural France where the addresses have no road names and no street view to try and locate buildings. How on earth delivery drivers manage apart from LaPoste who rely on local knowledge.
Somehow I can't see how W3W would catch on using English words with Mr & Mrs Paysanne.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 27 Oct 2023, 08:57

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Oct 2023, 10:42

RogerS wrote:An interesting viewpoint here

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/ ... 23a1000qr6
Hmmmmm.

The summary of this is, it’s possible for people to misspell or mishear words so it’s a fallible solution.

That’s EVERY solution on the planet. It even says at the end that there’s no evidence it has caused issue, just that it could.

Feels like it’s been written for the sake of finding an opinion.

I don’t disagree with the notion that’s it ‘could’ cause issues, but it’s possibly the best/easiest solution out there right now imo.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 27 Oct 2023, 12:09

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:An interesting viewpoint here

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/ ... 23a1000qr6
Hmmmmm.

The sum if this is, it’s possible for people to misspell or mishear words so it’s a fallible solution.

That’s EVERY solution on the planet. It even says at the end that there’s no evidence it has caused issue, just that it could.

Feels like it’s been written for the sake of finding an opinion.

I don’t disagree with the notion that’s it ‘could’ cause issues, but it’s possibly the best/easiest solution out there right now imo.

:text-+1:

I have modified the original post ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Oct 2023, 14:06

Fair play. I get the sentiment of it, just felt a little bit like a moan about what 'might' be.

Always good to look for those things, but as always the data of failures is king in that situation.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 27 Oct 2023, 14:18

TrimTheKing wrote:Fair play. I get the sentiment of it, just felt a little bit like a moan about what 'might' be.

Always good to look for those things, but as always the data of failures is king in that situation.

Don't get me wrong, Mark.. I agree with you entirely. Have re-modified the OP as it did read wrong !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 Oct 2023, 14:28

No I know you do mate, I just repeated myself for no real value! :eusa-doh: :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 27 Oct 2023, 23:46

I've replied to Roger in greater length privately, but here's a wee subsidiary thought: I had a camera lock.up dead on me one winters day on Slieve Donard, battery frozen into catatonia....it does not matter how sophisticated your "rescue" app is, it's only as good as the functionality of the device operating it. And, if through weather, immersion or damage,, your electronic comfort blanket becomes totally useless, well, you're screwed. Just sayin,',
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds