It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:23

Workshop wall insulation

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Workshop wall insulation

Postby AJE78 » 06 Sep 2021, 11:51

I was wondering if anyone had any experience, good or bad, with the following products? I'm looking at insulating between the studs, which are on 400mm centres. For my workshop, following Mike's guide.

Knauf do a frame insulation roll at 380mm wide which would be just right:

https://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/produ ... rm-roll-35

And rockwool do a Flexi slab like this:

https://www.rockwool.com/uk/products-an ... exi-en-gb/

Which comes 400mm wide so would need a bit more squashing/cutting to get in between.

Does anyone have any experience of these? It just seems confusing to me that there are so many products out there. Personally I'm leaning to the frame roll from knauf as it's good value and will be a better fit. But didn't want to make the wrong choice if the flexi slabs were really excellent.

Any advice and experience very much welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Re: Workshop wall insulation

Postby AJE78 » 06 Sep 2021, 14:02

Cheers Mike, I'll see what I can find locally in that Dritherm. But not at that price! Have they put the decimal point in the wrong place!?

AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Sep 2021, 14:10

I used 50mm thick slabs of Rockwool in my ‘shop when I built it years ago. No issues to fit or thus far in use - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJE78 » 06 Sep 2021, 15:10

Thanks Rob, good to know it's worked well.

I honestly had no idea that there was such a diverse and confusing array of insulation products!!!

AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 08 Sep 2021, 08:37

https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

are often worth a look.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 08 Sep 2021, 09:31

Just be careful with the like of Seconds and Co. I ordered 'metric 8x4's' (i.e. 2440x 1220mm) and got 'fully metric' 2400x1200mm after a 'phone call just saying they were "providing an alternative" to the Celotex I had ordered, same cost - no mention of 'proper metricisation'/change in dimension. No biggie, as the studding I was using was wide enough to absorb this dimension change, but if you had a definitive, exact, unchangeable need for precisely 1220 or 2440mm...??

Caveat emptor.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby AJE78 » 08 Sep 2021, 09:51

Cheers for the advice folks. I hadn't heard of them before. Will have a look and appreciate the comment about dimensions

Also, whilst I remember.....Kingspan cooltherm...seems to be a fair bit dearer than the regular Kingspan/Recitel etc standard foil boards. Is it much better? What's the difference? Is it worth it?
AJE78
Seedling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Sep 2021, 10:34

I used seconds and co recently (4 months ago) to obtain quite a lot of Kingspan foil faced both sides. They were having significant supply difficulties at the time and I had to accept that in order to obtain the quantity required It would be delivered in a (pre-agreed) mixture of 150mm, 140mm and 130mm. I needed 24 boards in total and did not care if it was metric or imperial as long as it was all the same size.

The cost was about one third of the price of buying new boards and was delivered in under a week. Two or three boards had rough edges (foil peeling back in a few places by a couple of cm) and one had a slightly damaged corner. None of the foil damage was more than trivial and was easily covered by 100mm foil tape that we used to cover the joins. We did all the wall insulation in the past week and the 150mm stuff went into the sandwich roof.

Prices of insulation shot up this year and we stocked up well in advance of need. Also bought a lot of Rockwool as a cheap job lot as we will beef up our loft insulation.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Workshop Builds