It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:47

Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Cetol 7 Plus

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Re: Sadolin Ultra vs Sadolin Classic vs Sikkens Cetol 7 Plus

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Oct 2021, 20:29

I have a complete room to do externally: two double doors and about 10 windows. All hardwood of some unknown breed. It is south facing and a rotten job to do as there is so much cutting in.

I am tempted to paint it with Mike's favourite paint, but the Sadolin ultra looks as if it lasts. Would you recommend it as a finish?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby eezageeza » 12 Oct 2021, 09:14

What a great thread! I'm mid-way through a major refurb of our exterior joinery, using Sadolin, so its particularly pertinent for me.

For absolute clarity, the first row of samples in the first post is labelled as Sadolin Ultra, but more recent posts refer to this row as Sadolin Extra.

I can't see an 'Ultra' currently on the Sadolin website, so assume the Extra Durable product they currently list has replaced it, or that it was simply a typo in the first post ?

For what its worth, I'm following the Sadolin advice to the letter - sand to bare wood, degrease with meths, then 2 coats of Classic, and 2 coats of Extra Durable.

And I've got 22 windows and doors to go at, so I hope its going to stick !!
eezageeza
Seedling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 12 Oct 2021, 12:18

eezageeza wrote:What a great thread! I'm mid-way through a major refurb of our exterior joinery, using Sadolin, so its particularly pertinent for me.

For absolute clarity, the first row of samples in the first post is labelled as Sadolin Ultra, but more recent posts refer to this row as Sadolin Extra.

I can't see an 'Ultra' currently on the Sadolin website, so assume the Extra Durable product they currently list has replaced it, or that it was simply a typo in the first post ?

For what its worth, I'm following the Sadolin advice to the letter - sand to bare wood, degrease with meths, then 2 coats of Classic, and 2 coats of Extra Durable.

And I've got 22 windows and doors to go at, so I hope its going to stick !!

You are quite right! The original post referring to Ultra is correct, so I have corrected the typo in my previous post. However, infuriatingly, Sadolin Ultra is no longer available and has been superseded by Sadolin Extra Durable Clearcoat. As it's name implies, this is a minimally pigmented treatment which can be used on its own or over previously stained wood. For new work, it is designed to be used over a Sadolin Classic pigment of your choice.

So does Extra Durable Clearcoat perform as well as the Ultra? Who knows - that's not what is being tested here. A thread on the Yachting and Boating World Forum mentions it, and ellicited the response from Sadolin by email

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately Sadolin Ultra was deleted from our range 3 years ago with no replacement. I am sorry we have been unable to assist you on this occasion, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. "

However, as a premium product from a premium brand, I would be disappointed if it didn't perform at least as well.

AJB Temple wrote:I have a complete room to do externally: two double doors and about 10 windows. All hardwood of some unknown breed. It is south facing and a rotten job to do as there is so much cutting in.

I am tempted to paint it with Mike's favourite paint, but the Sadolin ultra looks as if it lasts. Would you recommend it as a finish?

Adrian - on the face of it, there is not much to choose between Sadolin Ultra and Sikkens Filter 7 - but that is no longer a choice you have to make given that Sadolin Ultra is no longer marketed. Your choice would appear to be between Sikkens Filter 7 and Sadolin Extra Durable Clearcoat, either as a stand-alone product or over a Sadolin Classic colour of your choice.

I have used The Sikkens Filter 7 Light Oak on my iroko bifold doors since I built and installed them 9.5 years ago, and includes 10 summers. They are in partial sun rather than full sun, and I have found that they need a single maintenance coat every 3rd year. This has kept them looking more or less as smart as when they were first installed, and maintenance coats are easy. Just wipe with a piece of 240 grit sandpaper or Abranet, wash off and paint.

DSCF8735.JPG
Bifold doors
(341.34 KiB)

DSCF8731.JPG
bifold close-up.
(405.98 KiB)

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had thoroughly degreased the test samples with meths before applying each product, but not enough to make me want to set up a new multi year test. I feel that this may have helped prevent some of the flaking that has taken place.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Oct 2021, 08:53

Thanks. Very helpful thread.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Finishing