It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:31

Interesting guide to wood finishing

Share everything from your tablesaw sled design to how best to calculate magnetic North using only woodshavings and a blunt carpenters pencil...

Interesting guide to wood finishing

Postby Peri » 25 Dec 2021, 19:19

Stumbled across this guide to most types of wood finishing today

https://newellwoodworks.co.uk/guides/gu ... finishing/

Seems to cover most things - written by someone with 35 years in the trade. I found it an interesting read :)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Re: Interesting guide to wood finishing

Postby Phil » 26 Dec 2021, 09:29

Thanks for posting the link, interesting read and tips 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Mike G » 26 Dec 2021, 10:31

My goodness......what a minefield. I have no way of knowing if what I am about to say is true, but I'll bet the majority of woodworkers find one or two finishing regimes which work for them, and do nothing else. That describes me, perfectly.

I did enjoy the description of coloured varnishes, and the difficulty of application.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 26 Dec 2021, 13:10

Mike G wrote:My goodness......what a minefield. I have no way of knowing if what I am about to say is true, but I'll bet the majority of woodworkers find one or two finishing regimes which work for them, and do nothing else.

Me, definitely when dealing with new wood or project, but try to keep an open mind to other techniques :D
Refurbishing 'old' furniture can also be another minefield
I have our dining room table with white spots on the surface which is next on my repair list hence the interest in what can be done, also did a lot of surfing and downloaded some good tips.

Mike G wrote:I did enjoy the description of coloured varnishes, and the difficulty of application.

Yes, very good, another area of exploration :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Doug » 26 Dec 2021, 13:15

You surprise me Mike though I guess my wood turning has lead me to use quite a few more finishes than I did as a young man, these days I have a rather big cupboard filled with a large variety of different finishes
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Dec 2021, 14:13

Re coloured finishes, i’ve mentioned this before, an amount of water-based polyurethane varnish in a pot, add a few drops of the desired colour and it’s a simple as that. I had a spectacular effect using turquoise but it just won’t photograph for inclusion it comes out green unfortunately. Ian
0B5AC65B-5579-427B-8E3D-2DA4FEEBAA28.jpeg
(131.73 KiB)
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 26 Dec 2021, 15:02

Doug wrote:You surprise me Mike though I guess my wood turning has lead me to use quite a few more finishes than I did as a young man, these days I have a rather big cupboard filled with a large variety of different finishes

I think that's probably generally true, Doug (that turners have a wider variety of finishes in their armoury). In the few days I've been turning, I've successfully used Osmo PolyX and Danish oil.....two finishes I can't normally stand. Part of it is that turning is so small that you aren't concerned with stuff like keeping a wet edge moving across the work, or avoiding overlaps, or similar issues that big areas of furniture can throw up. Part of it is that with the speed and the pressure finishes are almost dry before the lathe spins to a stop, and so you can see immediately what you've got. If you think it can take a week to achieve the finish you want on a table top, and a minute to finish a bowl, there's obviously so much more can wrong with the former, and hence the likelihood of furniture makers (amateur) sticking to one or two techniques they know won't let them down.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Tips & Tutorials