It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:13

Richards Garage/Workshop build

Roll up, roll up. Here you will find everything from new workshop designs, through builds to completed workshop tours. All magnificently overseen by our own Mike G and his tremendously thorough 'Shed' design and generous advice.

Re: Richards Garage/Workshop build

Postby Richard39 » 23 Nov 2021, 14:19

I should say that the last photo is from January, so there is a bit more progress to show, including insulating.

Next job was install the joists. I opted for a part joisted, part open design to give me some storage and still have a feeling of space. At the far end, away from the main opening, the joists are sat directly on the walls to give maximum storage above and the rafters were spaced closer to together at that end for maximum weight bearing capacity. I installed one more joist than shown on the sketchup drawing to extend the area slightly. The thinking being that this end could be totally enclosed from the rest of the garage at some point in the future if a home office or small workshop was desired. I'll be leaving it open to the garage as it suits my needs that way. At the other end I have installed the joists 200mm above the walls to give a more open space, and I will only be putting bulky but light items at that end as the rafters are spaced out further.

January 2021

As time allowed I then lined out the walls. Still being in the worst of the weather, and being aware that it was likely to be exposed for longer than was ideal, I made sure to leave a good gap between the OSB and the base so that they didn't wick up any standing water. When it is all completed I can install skirting to make it neat.

March 2021

Next was to line out the roof, which I wasn't looking forward to. The walls were easy enough to deal with alone, but trying to hold a full sheet of OSB above my head whilst screwing it in place was going to be a different kettle of fish. When the weather improved in early spring I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately a winter in the open meant the roof timbers weren't quite as square and true as when they were installed. It was nothing to be concerned about, but it meant that simply offering up a sheet of OSB and sticking some screws in was now made a bit more of a faff. After several hours of trying to get a single sheet installed and failing miserably, I gave up and retreated to consider how I was going to achieve this in a safe and timely manner. Fast forward to July and I had the somewhat obvious idea of simply cutting each sheet into thirds, and installing these smaller pieces. Obviously it involved a bit more work, but it made it perfectly manageable for a person working alone, and brought my mojo back.

July 2021. First sheet cut into thirds length ways, and then installed.
Richard39
Seedling

Name:

Postby Richard39 » 23 Nov 2021, 14:45

As time allowed during August I plodded on with lining the roof out, and finally completed all the faffy bits around the joists.

August 2021

Next I moved onto insulating the roof. The costs of some types of insulation have become quite eye watering, so I opted for 100mm loft insulation as a reasonable compromise between cost and effectiveness. It will still help keep the place at reasonable temperature year round, but having worked in completely uninsulated garages in the depths of winter in the past this will be like a palace by comparison :D . My ideal choice of roof covering was to be slates, but I realised I was biting off a bit more than I could chew in terms of learning new skills and it would have held back progress, so it was decided long ago to use metal roofing sheets as a final roof covering. That still meant it needed a membrane and some battens, but position/spacing of battens was less critical. Installing the membrane on a 7M long roof, 4M up in the air was real fun on my own :lol: . It isn't the prettiest of installations, but it will do the job.

Next was to insulate the walls. I decided upon cavity batts so that they could be easily cut to size and pushed into place without fear of it slumping in the future. I contemplated using loft insulation and netting it in place to hold it up, but decided the cost saving wasn't worth the hassle. Again, cost and effectiveness was part of the decision making process, so I opted for 50mm insulation.

I don't many photos of the progess, but i'm sure you all get the idea

September 2021.

And that is where it sits currently. Just waiting on materials now to continue the construction. It is almost weather tight now, which is a good feeling after so long.
Richard39
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Nov 2021, 14:50

Good job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 23 Nov 2021, 15:12

Certainly worth the wait and you have time yet if you do not want to hold the record for the longest ever WH2 workshop build. ;)

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Nov 2021, 15:30

Andyp wrote:Certainly worth the wait and you have time yet if you do not want to hold the record for the longest ever WH2 workshop build. ;)

:? :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Richard39 » 24 Nov 2021, 21:57

Depending on the definition of starting and finishing, 6 years might be on the cards :lol: . The concrete slab was completed in February 2016 and here we are in November 2021, but at least it is on the homeward straight now.

The main garage door arrived today. I will be installing that tomorrow, all being well. I might even temporarily block up the other openings whilst I am waiting for materials, and then I will have a secure building :eusa-dance: .
Richard39
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Nov 2021, 07:54

There's a big storm coming this weekend. Could I suggest finishing the counterbattening of the walls, or, at the very least, do the areas around the openings.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Richard39 » 25 Nov 2021, 23:09

There is actually a few more battens fitted now than shown on the photo. It became obvious pretty quickly that the wind would wreck it, after a bit of a late summer breeze had it billowing all over the place.
Richard39
Seedling

Name:

Postby Richard39 » 19 Jan 2022, 23:21

Little bit of an update on this, but not a huge amount of progress. I installed the main door, which was a bit of a challenge at times, as the instructions breezed past some very important points that showed their hand later on and needed a bit of backtracking to rectify. Irritating, but not a big deal.

A couple of photos for reference, but not necessarily the most interesting part of the build.

What can also be seen in the second photo is that I now have the timber for cladding it. I opted for feather edge British Larch. Just need to find a bit of time to finish the battening and start on the cladding.

Richard39
Seedling

Name:

Previous

Return to Workshop Builds