It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:25

FaceBook novice

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

FaceBook novice

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Feb 2022, 09:51

So I’ve always avoided Facebook like the plague but I recently needed to start selling bits and bobs from my house clearance so I opened an account but didn’t do the friends or photo bit, put one item up for sale and they then said there has been suspicious activity on my account, friends tell me that they have suspended my sales as I am not playing game with them so I have put up a few friends and a photo and now they tell me I need to join some groups (dear God what is the world coming to) and I’m not in anything much, (I’ve stopped going to the other place and I don’t even want to revisit it to connect to FB,) does this site have a Facebook group?
Can anybody recommend any other groups that I might enjoy? Thanks for your help Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Re: FaceBook novice

Postby Andyp » 27 Feb 2022, 10:03

No Facebook group here Ian.
Like you I dipped my toe in the water, briefly. I got fed up, very quickly, trying to control the level of privacy and unwanted contacts. I am longer on it and have no desire to return.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Blackswanwood » 27 Feb 2022, 10:17

I think this demonstrates how Facebook isn’t really free. Your participation drives their advertising revenue.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Phil » 27 Feb 2022, 10:26

Ian have a look here, they have a Facebook group

https://www.turningforprofit.com/?utm_s ... vauJg30%3D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Feb 2022, 10:54

Ian. I dislike Facebook and hardly use it (bad experience in the early days when I was stupid enough to put "boys day out" photos of my young son up there for dispersed family use). However, my wife loves it and has used it ever such a lot to co-ordinate disaster flood relief in Germany, which she spent most of her spare time last year doing. She says it is easy to join groups, and recommends you just pick a few random things.

We can friend each other on FB if it helps. You can do whatever you like as I never look at my "account".

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Feb 2022, 11:03

Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks Phil for that link, I shall be ditching fb as soon as the move is finished.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 27 Feb 2022, 11:50

I initially opened an account to have access to my fishing clubs notices.
I have very few friends listed (mainly relatives) and no photos .
Other than a half dozen posts it’s mainly used for messaging.
I think the account is about five years old.

I have been buying and selling a bit.
Buying (in reality mostly free for collection) tables and book cases for the wood.
When you sell don’t underestimate what you can get rid of this way, even if it’s just to save a trip to the tip.

I sold a cheapo table saw that retails for £300 that I had used heavily for five years.
Initially I was going to put it on for £40, but I looked at prices of others and thought £65 was worth a try (you can drop prices at a later date) . I was absolutely inundated.
Believe it or not, old empty oil cans fetch good money :shock:
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Feb 2022, 12:39

I use Fazzboz now just to sell stuff; nowt apart from that and I no longer actively comment on any topics, most of which are pretty inane - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 27 Feb 2022, 16:32

I signed up for it for some reason years ago - I forget why - but don't use it. Last I tried to look for something I found I had two requests from people apparently wishing to be friends - one I would happily see dead and one that had already been dead for months. :lol: I haven't had any problem with Gumtree.
Last edited by Phil Pascoe on 28 Feb 2022, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby Cabinetman » 28 Feb 2022, 01:41

Haha, it’s wierd, One or two people I do know but I almost feel embarrassed to reach out to them and say I am on the dreadful thing, and then the rest are from Spain – God only knows because I don’t.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests