It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:41

Lidded pot in Oak

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Lidded pot in Oak

Postby CHJ » 04 Apr 2022, 16:11

130mm dia. Finished in CSS, Buffed & Microcrystalline wax.

DSCN6991.JPG
(123.85 KiB)
DSCN6992.JPG
(147.12 KiB)
DSCN6993.JPG
(147.74 KiB)
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Lidded pot in Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 04 Apr 2022, 17:08

Nice. I like your purfling.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 06 Apr 2022, 12:21

Very nice, this one and the pencil.

When you do another one, please take some pics of the cutting and joining, looks interesting.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby CHJ » 06 Apr 2022, 14:10

Phil wrote:.....
When you do another one, please take some pics of the cutting and joining, looks interesting.

Here is a WIP of basic process that I did some time ago.
I use a variety of Cole Jaw buttons & have 125mm diam. self centring 4 jaw chucks to select from dependant upon individual needs of wood stock and holding requirements.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 09 Apr 2022, 11:23

That's really nice, Chas. Your work has an understated quality which I find really attractive. Simple and classy, without being showy. Cut a little notch for a spoon, and that would look great as a sugar bowl on the table. Make another the same and you could have tea leaves in one and coffee in the other. Quality pieces of working kitchen/ tableware, rather than just another ornament on the over-crowded shelf.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 09 Apr 2022, 11:51

CHJ wrote:
Phil wrote:.....

Here is a WIP of basic process that I did some time ago.
I use a variety of Cole Jaw buttons & have 125mm diam. self centring 4 jaw chucks to select from dependant upon individual needs of wood stock and holding requirements.

For anyone trying to follow the link to the calculator in the excellent PDF referred to above, try this

http://www.quest42.co.uk/woodwork/Segment/Seg-Calc.htm

For some reason it did not work direct from the pdf on my PC but manual typing of the link does?

hth
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 09 Apr 2022, 11:58

Mike G wrote:That's really nice, Chas. Your work has an understated quality which I find really attractive. Simple and classy, without being showy. Cut a little notch for a spoon, and that would look great as a sugar bowl on the table. Make another the same and you could have tea leaves in one and coffee in the other. Quality pieces of working kitchen/ tableware, rather than just another ornament on the over-crowded shelf.

Agreed.

I'm no woodturner although I have a basic wood lathe it sits largely unused in the end of the shop. However seeing these segmented turning examples almost makes me want to have a go. It would be a logical extension to the coopered forms work I did a few years back making waste paper bins here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3709

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby CHJ » 09 Apr 2022, 20:57

Thanks for the comments guys & thanks Bob for the link, afraid the PDF generator I used did not convert the doc correctly.
CHJ
Sapling

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)