It is currently 19 Aug 2022, 01:03

Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 09:29

I am in a bit of a quandary about this as my hoarder instincts have kicked in. :o

My wife has recently started a new role back in her original area of expertise which is international logistics. She's managing a team that import food service equipment from all over the place (a lot comes from Italy for example) and is palleted. Most are ordinary pallets but each week they get one or two boxes such as those in the picture. They get burnt. This is because they are custom fit to suit machines or parts and so cannot economically be re-used.
IMG_3003.JPG
(247.85 KiB)

I brought three home despite having no actual idea what to do with them. Being food service industry they are free of chemicals and pristine. The wood is almost an inch thick. Nailed with stainless steel nails.

Just posted here for interest really. I am thinking I could make them into planters or something? Ideas? If necessary I will cut them up and they will go on the log burner pile.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
User avatar
AJB Temple
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 15 Apr 2019, 09:04
Location: Near Tunbridge Wells, mid Kent
Name: Adrian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Phil Pascoe » 26 May 2022, 09:41

Probably annular ring nails, so a pig to pull apart.
Phil Pascoe
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 627
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 22:55
Location: United Kingdom Cornwall
Name: phil

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 09:45

Nope. Smooth nails. The feet knocked off dead easy.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
User avatar
AJB Temple
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 15 Apr 2019, 09:04
Location: Near Tunbridge Wells, mid Kent
Name: Adrian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby novocaine » 26 May 2022, 09:52

find a charity that "upcycles" and donate, donate, donate. with a bit of paint and some EST. 1904 stencils they could be on to an absolute winner.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1186299 ... 1186299368
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: 26 Nov 2020, 10:37
Name: Dave

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2022, 10:09

They look like storage for bulkhead lights to me ;)
cheers
Andy
User avatar
Andyp
Petrified Pine
 
Posts: 10035
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby droogs » 26 May 2022, 10:24

Raised planting bed either veg, herbariums or potted fruit trees.
droogs
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 972
Joined: 09 May 2015, 10:35
Location: Edinburgh
Name: Alan

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby 9fingers » 26 May 2022, 10:35

Adrian, when you have exhausted your applications for these then maybe consider donations to men's shed.
Some of these groups seem to be social talking shops but other seem to make things for local schools or to sell for charity fund raising etc.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 8860
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 10:49

Andy, andy, andy....I knew you would comment. Get that V&A table finished man!

The donation ideas are good. However, there is no men's shed near me. They are all down by Folkstone and Dover for some reason. I've asked before and the local charity shops have zero interest in big stuff - they just want clothes and knick knacks, although we do have totally brilliant Oxfam book shops in both sevenoaks and tunbridge wells.

I do need to make a couple of large bonsai growing on beds that replicate ground planting but moveable. So the big box will become the first one I think.

I have also decided that if I can get enough of these, I will make an outdoor composting lavatory. This is because when we open the garden for charity there is always someone who has ignored the extensive signage saying that there are no visitor loos. It drives me potty (see what I did there). I want to spend near zero money as this is a charitable thing we do, and so I am now on the hunt for the best way to do it and make it look good in the Japanese garden environment. Maybe tea then pee house?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
User avatar
AJB Temple
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 15 Apr 2019, 09:04
Location: Near Tunbridge Wells, mid Kent
Name: Adrian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby thetyreman » 26 May 2022, 11:42

that's quite nice for pallet wood, a lot of boards look relatively knot free.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Bruce Lee
thetyreman
New Shoots
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 02 Dec 2020, 00:07
Location: Stockport
Name: Ben

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2022, 11:46

thetyreman wrote:that's quite nice for pallet wood, a lot of boards look relatively knot free.

I was about to make the same comment. Were it me, I'd knock them apart and hoard them somewhere (Adrian's good at that :lol: ) in the 'shop, ready for a suitable project. They look to me to be too good to burn...might make good kitchen door cupboards :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 12:08

I am NOT a hoarder!!! How dare you say that. :lol:

To digress slightly my brother was the family hoarder. When he was a kid he used to visit the local tip regularly and bring stuff back. When he got older and was earning, he would go to car boot sales almost addictively and buy tools for pence. We also have a barn literally full of wood, half of which is his and he refuses to sell. He has two double garages literally full to the brim with tools and VW campervan parts, which he will not allow his wife or me to sell. (He is badly disabled after a stroke and will never have use for this stuff).

My dad was much the same. I have ever such a lot of spanners and stuff that belonged to him - he was an engineer but no one could possibly need so many spanners. Most of them are useless as they are whitworth and such like, not metric. In my mother's side garage are 4 big Record engineering vices. Seriously big and heavy. I will have to get rid of them at some point.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
User avatar
AJB Temple
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 15 Apr 2019, 09:04
Location: Near Tunbridge Wells, mid Kent
Name: Adrian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2022, 12:27

AJB Temple wrote:Andy, andy, andy....I knew you would comment. Get that V&A table finished man!


I may give the impression of always being online but I am rarely near the workshop.
Last time I was on this boat storm Eunice was blowing 100mph winds around the IoW. Today it is as calm as a calm thing so I ventured out of the cabin. I am beginning to regret that over confidence.

As for the table, the bobbin sander ordered and should be there by the time I get back. But I have some end of term presents to make for the teaching assistant that has guided my daughter through school the past 3 years, and the garden, and putting some slop on the gates, window frames, shutters etc.
I will finish by the deadline…….probably.

:)

As may just call round and see how much of your barn you have painted.;)
cheers
Andy
User avatar
Andyp
Petrified Pine
 
Posts: 10035
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 07:05
Location: 14860 Normandy, France
Name: Andy

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 12:50

Feel free mate! You have long arms which is always good. I am picking up the paint tomorrow as it happens.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
User avatar
AJB Temple
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 15 Apr 2019, 09:04
Location: Near Tunbridge Wells, mid Kent
Name: Adrian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Malc2098 » 26 May 2022, 14:33

9fingers wrote:Adrian, when you have exhausted your applications for these then maybe consider donations to men's shed.
Some of these groups seem to be social talking shops but other seem to make things for local schools or to sell for charity fund raising etc.

Bob


Indeed, the Exeter one not only restores and sells tools, it also make all sorts from wood and appreciates supplies of good timber.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Sequoia
 
Posts: 6047
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Cabinetman » 26 May 2022, 14:35

Looks much better pine than I can get here! And Free! I would definitely dismantle and store. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1583
Joined: 11 Oct 2020, 07:32
Location: Lincolnshire Wolds + Pennsylvania
Name: Ian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby 9fingers » 26 May 2022, 16:59

Malc2098 wrote:
9fingers wrote:Adrian, when you have exhausted your applications for these then maybe consider donations to men's shed.
Some of these groups seem to be social talking shops but other seem to make things for local schools or to sell for charity fund raising etc.

Bob


Indeed, the Exeter one not only restores and sells tools, it also make all sorts from wood and appreciates supplies of good timber.

We have a local one with a similar MO as that but then again we have another a few miles away that only seem to post photos of walking trips and pub lunches on farcebook seemingly more of a social /mental health/ combat loneliness type of set up which is of course equally valuable to society but less of a men’s shed more of a men’s support group
Bit like here sometimes (?) :lol: :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 8860
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Woodbloke » 26 May 2022, 17:49

9fingers wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:
9fingers wrote:Adrian, when you have exhausted your applications for these then maybe consider donations to men's shed.
Some of these groups seem to be social talking shops but other seem to make things for local schools or to sell for charity fund raising etc.

Bob


Indeed, the Exeter one not only restores and sells tools, it also make all sorts from wood and appreciates supplies of good timber.

We have a local one with a similar MO as that but then again we have another a few miles away that only seem to post photos of walking trips and pub lunches on farcebook seemingly more of a social /mental health/ combat loneliness type of set up which is of course equally valuable to society but less of a men’s shed more of a men’s support group
Bit like here sometimes (?) :lol: :lol:

Bob


Popped into my local MS here in Wilton a couple of weeks ago; nice collection of 'used'/donated gear much of which appeared to need a lot of work to make it remotely serviceable. I explained that I was a long standing woodmangler and had a fully equipped 'shop at home whereupon the two incumbent shedders interest was immediately piqued.
"Did I know how to turn'' was the next question when I mentioned I had a lathe and all the gear when one of them pointed out a very forlorn looking lathe against a wall, festooned with all sorts of odds n'sods of detritus.
After a brew (no biscuits :shock: ) and a lengthy chat I bade my farewells and have no intention of darkening their portal again :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
User avatar
Woodbloke
Old Oak
 
Posts: 4678
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 10:06
Location: Salisbury, UK
Name: Rob Stoakley

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby 9fingers » 26 May 2022, 17:57

With a decent sized, reasonably equipped woodshop and another workshop dedicated to metal machining, I've steered clear of visiting such outfits expecting similar reaction to those you had Rob but kept a distant watching brief just out of interest.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
User avatar
9fingers
Sequoia
 
Posts: 8860
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 20:22
Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Malc2098 » 26 May 2022, 18:27

I think some of our members may forget how fortunate they are and how unfortunate other men of our age are. Neither are some men as IT savvy as we are to actually get online.

I saw the work the Exeter group are doing with men in this position, and while I am not in a position to donate time to them, I have been able to donate serviceable but older tools and machines to them for their use or for selling on.

I also note that the sawmill from which I bought my verandah and balustrade timber from also freely donates hardwood to them for their use.

I am also aware that maybe every Shed has a different way of going about it's business of providing support to men of a certain age. And Bob is right, they provide a service for men at geographical locations similar to the virtual service this forum provides online.
Malcolm
User avatar
Malc2098
Sequoia
 
Posts: 6047
Joined: 03 Jul 2016, 11:10
Location: Tiverton
Name: Malcolm

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Lons » 26 May 2022, 20:44

Malc2098 wrote:I think some of our members may forget how fortunate they are and how unfortunate other men of our age are. Neither are some men as IT savvy as we are to actually get online.

I saw the work the Exeter group are doing with men in this position, and while I am not in a position to donate time to them, I have been able to donate serviceable but older tools and machines to them for their use or for selling on.

I also note that the sawmill from which I bought my verandah and balustrade timber from also freely donates hardwood to them for their use.

I am also aware that maybe every Shed has a different way of going about it's business of providing support to men of a certain age. And Bob is right, they provide a service for men at geographical locations similar to the virtual service this forum provides online.

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
Lons
Nordic Pine
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 21:48
Location: Northumberland
Name: Bob

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby AJB Temple » 26 May 2022, 21:26

This thread is not really about that. We do charity fund raising for nursing charities and we sell teas and coffees and cakes for a specific homeless charity. I don't want to be much more focussed on charities than we already are. I was really looking for woodworking ideas as I have never been a pallet user.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
User avatar
AJB Temple
Old Oak
 
Posts: 3314
Joined: 15 Apr 2019, 09:04
Location: Near Tunbridge Wells, mid Kent
Name: Adrian

Re: Significant supply of pallet wood boxes

Postby Doug » 27 May 2022, 07:04

Personally I’d knock the bigger box apart, check it for metal & run it through the planer if it finishes ok then build up a stock pile & flog it, could be a nice little earner particularly the price of timber these days.

9fingers wrote:Bit like here sometimes (?) :lol: :lol:

Bob

You’d noticed that as well :lol: :lol:
Doug
Old Oak
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: 21 Jul 2014, 22:22
Location: @dougsworkshop
Name:


Return to General Woodworking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest