It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:07

filler or caulk type substance

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

filler or caulk type substance

Postby woodstalker » 01 Aug 2022, 20:19

I need to fill some slight gaps and some very small holes in some oak before it is finished. I plan to use Danish oil but i don't want the gap filling concoction to suddenly stand out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Its the upstand behind an oak kitchen work top and the wall so if it was all being just painted, painters caulk would probably do what i needed...

Thanks in advance (again...)
Last edited by woodstalker on 02 Aug 2022, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: filler or caulk type substance

Postby Cabinetman » 01 Aug 2022, 20:32

I think I would get another piece of the same timber and some fine sandpaper to produce some dust then mix that with resin W or similar, quite dry and put it into the holes. Then sand it before it was quite set, this produces more dust which sticks to the filler in the holes, usually pretty unobtrusive. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Doug » 01 Aug 2022, 20:52

I usually use Hafele wax sticks when filling small hole etc https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/product/sof ... -00878965/ you can soften them & mix them together if you are struggling to get a good match but usually with oak that’s not necessary
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 01 Aug 2022, 21:29

Epoxy and instant coffee, I did loads of knots on my pippy oak settees.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Aug 2022, 21:42

My number one suggestion would be to try anything and everything first on some scrap. It's amazing how you can think you've got it just perfect, and then when you apply your finish it stands out like dog's doodahs. I picked up a set of indellible brown felt pens at a woodworking show some years ago, so I tend to touch up with them until it looks about right.

The alternative is to seal with completely clear epoxy. It is so chrystal clear that the colour of the adjacent wood shows through it, and little flaws seem to disappear. Again.......experiment first.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 01 Aug 2022, 21:44

Another vote for epoxy, with or without coffee. For small holes, knots etc just clear epoxy isn't conspicuous. I dislike the sawdust / glue method, it turns out darker than the wood itself.

[I see MikeG has beat me to it]

Edited to add: one issue with epoxy is that it doesn't move as wood does so bigger bits can end up proud, sunken or crack as the wood moves. How on earth these super- trendy wood and acrylic "river" table tops don't crack / fall apart, I don't understand.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby RogerS » 01 Aug 2022, 22:11

I'm with the wax stick option having tried the sanding dust option on some oak flooring and failing miserably because the stearate (I think that's what it is) in the sandpaper that gets rubbed off while sanding was the wrong colour.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 02 Aug 2022, 07:11

Thanks all, my concern was the Danish oil finish not adhering/soaking in/drying on whatever I use. The biggest area is the join at the base of the board and the counter top which also needs to prevent liquid and food debris getting in there. Normally a sealing strip or silicon would do the job but I am not sure anything would stick to the already finished worktop and would equally not look very good.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 02 Aug 2022, 07:13

(I just edited my initial post because fat fingers and autocorrect don’t seem to have helped my explanation very well)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Finishing