It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:53

Made in Taiwan

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Made in Taiwan

Postby Lurker » 04 Aug 2022, 14:23

In an effort to reduce our addiction to stuff coming from China, is there a way of sourcing from Taiwan instead?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Made in Taiwan

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Aug 2022, 15:29

Lurker wrote:In an effort to reduce our addiction to stuff coming from China, is there a way of sourcing from Taiwan instead?

SWIMBO and I detest with a passion buying stuff from China and with the current 'situation' in the Far East, it's easy to see why. That said, China has made itself the 'workshop of the world' and we in the West (and elsewhere) have taken advantage of their merchandise (including cCc) and sleepwalked into the tender embrace of the PRC and the PLA, which we fund!

Like most folk, we buy a bit of stuff from Amazon and now very conscientiously look at the place of manufacture; if it's China we quite often don't hit the 'submit' button.

Until there's a step change and manufacturing returns to Europe and elsewhere, it's difficult to see how to stop our addiction to cCc, but that's not going to happen for a long time, if ever. Our addiction to cCc is exactly the same as with Russian oil and gas, though we've now seen the light and Europe is attempting to wean itself away from the stuff - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby BucksDad » 04 Aug 2022, 15:43

Laguna manufacture in Taiwan
BucksDad
New Shoots

Name: James

Postby Cabinetman » 04 Aug 2022, 16:15

With you on that one Woodbloke, do exactly the same re cCc here and in uk. It’s quite a thing here to promote and buy American-made products. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby RogerS » 04 Aug 2022, 16:19

Encouraging article in last weekend's FT that some businesses are looking at changing their supply chain....ie ditching China.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 04 Aug 2022, 16:24

RogerS wrote:Encouraging article in last weekend's FT that some businesses are looking at changing their supply chain....ie ditching China.

I think the problem area is going to be that a large percentage of the worlds chips are produced in Taiwan, first sign of any trouble there and the whole world grinds to a halt. Dopey Biden is at last doing something about it by offering large grants to set up production in the US.
If there is trouble it’s going to be a bit like Russia with the gas and oil.
We’ve all been sleepwalking to disaster.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Aug 2022, 16:57

Cabinetman wrote: If there is trouble it’s going to be a bit like Russia with the gas and oil.
We’ve all been sleepwalking to disaster.

:text-+1: Yep and we're now paying the price and will do for a very long time to come

RogerS wrote:Encouraging article in last weekend's FT that some businesses are looking at changing their supply chain....ie ditching China.

About bloody time! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 04 Aug 2022, 17:17

BucksDad wrote:Laguna manufacture in Taiwan

They may well do but they also manufacture in China according to their rep & also a quick google search

If you want a Taiwanese machine manufacturer then OAV is the company to go for, they used to manufacture Axminster’s bandsaws, I believe Rob Woodblokes bandsaw is an OAV.

MWM are agents for AOV in the uk I imagine they aren’t the only ones mind.
https://mwmachinery.co.uk/product-categ ... 40QAvD_BwE
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 04 Aug 2022, 17:35

Doug wrote:If you want a Taiwanese machine manufacturer then OAV is the company to go for, they used to manufacture Axminster’s bandsaws, I believe Rob Woodblokes bandsaw is an OAV.

Yep, you're right Doug. It's based on and uses many of the components of the yellow 'Powermatic' bandsaws that Ax no longer stock and these, so I was informed, were made in Taiwan. A fair percentage of Ax kit and equipment though is made in the PRC (though not all) with suppliers all over China - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 04 Aug 2022, 18:30

Ooh, that's interesting Rob. A creme del la lemone Bandsaw is #1 on my wish list of bandsaws but cost has always precluded the possibility to get one. Could you put up some more details on yours, would like to find out more about them as yours may be a good substitute.
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Mike Jordan » 04 Aug 2022, 19:09

I want to see legislation requiring retailers to clearly display the country of origin and manufacture for all goods being offered for sale. Something along the lines of a notice of equal size and clarity to the price label.
There are far to many sneaky little tricks being used against consumers. I purchased a Russell Hobs kettle in the mistaken belief that it was a sound British company making quality products in the UK. Wrong! The only British part is the name. They are now made in China
Prestige formerly made pressure cookers in my home town of Derby, they are still sold under the same name but are now an inferior product made in India.
I would love to see the advert that accurately describes the crap Chinese made oak furniture which currently claims to have been assembled in local workshops.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby Woodster » 04 Aug 2022, 19:13

My Axminster lathe said made in Taiwan on the box. Back in the 70’s and 80’s lots of imported machine tools were made in Korea and in many cases seemed far better than the Chinese stuff. I’m guessing they were priced out of the market?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Aug 2022, 22:20

It's not axiomatic that ALL stuff from China is c3. In the end it comes down to any companies outside China whether or not they wish to consider quality.

A German company making quality spectacle frames found they could not compete on price if they continued to manufacture in Germany. So they got a Chinese company to make them. And the German owner lived in China for 9 months of the year, ensuring quality control.

In a lot of ways, we are all to blame for buying the cheapest c**p out there sometimes.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby johnward » 05 Aug 2022, 09:08

Slightly off-topic and apologies, I hope Taiwan manages to keep seperate from China, Four years ago I was on a birdwatching trip to the island. With almost all the industry located at the north end the remainder of the country is simply gorgeous with small scale farming, vegetable and fruit growing and fishing, and along the central north-south spine there is a beautiful mountain range. To top it off the people are so friendly and the birding was excellent.
I can recommend a visit when the current hiatus has cooled down.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Lurker » 05 Aug 2022, 09:23

Not off topic John, I was trying to make the point of how we could support Taiwan and at the same time avoid funding China's political dominance .
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Aug 2022, 10:45

droogs wrote:Ooh, that's interesting Rob. A creme del la lemone Bandsaw is #1 on my wish list of bandsaws but cost has always precluded the possibility to get one. Could you put up some more details on yours, would like to find out more about them as yours may be a good substitute.

Unfortunately Ax stopped selling this model very shortly after it's introduction:

IMG_0143.JPG
(184.76 KiB)

...but this is the front cover of the instruction manual with the model number and as mentioned, many of the components were identical to those used in similar 'Powermatic' machines - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 05 Aug 2022, 12:37

We have been trying to not buy anything made in China but it's very difficult to avoid.

Taiwan is actually one of the largest investors in China so I suspect some of what we see as made in Taiwan is a reference to the assembly rather than full manufacturing process. It also suggests that supporting Taiwan at the expense of China is a fallacy.

I'm far from convinced that Ms Pelosi's flying visit was a well thought through diplomatic move. The world seems to becoming a much more divided and dangerous place than we had the opportunity to make it.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Vann » 05 Aug 2022, 23:17

Blackswanwood wrote:We have been trying to not buy anything made in China but it's very difficult to avoid...

:text-+1: I've been attempting to avoid their products for at least 15 years (it's not easy). I've only just woken up to the Russian problem. It's not just the cheap products (that's largely our fault/greed) but also other issues caused by China e.g. Hong Kong; China Sea, Taiwan, Uyghurs, Tibet, organ harvesting, censorship and repression.

cabinetman wrote:...It’s quite a thing here to promote and buy American-made products.

Hah. Back in the 1970s/80s I bought a pneumatic needle descaling gun. The packaging proclaimed US manufacturing. "Made in Taiwan" was stamped on the gun :lol:

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat