• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Creating new tumbled edge on freshly cut limestone

the bear

Sapling
Reaction score
I have limestone throughout my ground floor that is described as brushed and tumbled. These are large sized slabs 550mm wide and variable lengths. They are 20mm thick (regularised). They are designed to look like an old farmhouse floor or paving with many bumps, hollows, and a ragged (but smooth) edge. I seem to remember from an old conversation that Mike G has the same in his house.

In the house it’s fairly easy to lose the cut edges as you always put them under the skirting or at least up against the wall and grout in

I wish to use this same flooring outside ( it’s natural limestone and completely suitable for this) but losing the cut edges is not always possible as it doesn’t always end against a wall. I for example need to cut a radius that won’t be against a wall.

So my question is has anyone tried to create a “new” tumbled edge on a freshly cut piece of stone or have any ideas or suggestions? Chats with friends have so far suggested tile nibblers to break off the sharp edges. Grinder to make the edge more uneven. Aggressive tile files to smooth ( would this even work on stone),. Diamond pads for further smoothing ( in a grinder or by hand) Im trying to create a ragged but smooth finish, not a uniform polished edge. Hopefully the pics will show the edge as delivered and how a cut edge really needs to be softened The tiles in the pic have been outside for a few years so are quite grubby, they are the left overs from inside. The finish doesn’t need to be quite as extreme as the factory edge but it needs to ideally not look like it’s just been cut with a grinder

All the best

Mark

Cut edgeIMG_3588.jpeg

Factory edge
IMG_3587.jpeg

Compared
IMG_3589.jpeg

I have laid about 100 sq metres of similar black limestone large slabs and about the same in buff colour. All indoors, so on full scrutiny. I have a large flat bed wet cutter and get a similar clean edge. Realistically when you gave grouted, you will barely see a cut edge. Limestone is often layered and it breaks very easily. What I do if I want to disguise a cut edge is a) lay the stone on 100% adhesive bed + buttered and let it go off. Then use a small hammer and sharp cold small cold chisel or large punch to chip the top edge only here and there. There is far less risk of breakage as the tile is bonded. and the only thing you are doing is light chipping off the top edge. I doubt you would be able to tell on my floors where I have done this. Not had one break on me yet.

Angle grinder will just look like you have been cack handed with a grinder.

Interesting to know you do it in situ. These will be laid on sand/cement not adhesive however so is that safe without dislodging?

It’s not possible to hide all the cuts with grout eg corner of steps. I agree it’s easier to deal with and hide inside where I have already laid 100m2 on adhesive also

Mark

I do what Adrian describes, but probably more crudely, and definitely pre-laying. Not because it is right or wrong, but because it never occured to me to lay it first. The downside of trying to do it in situ is that you have to leave the edge available. I tend to just bash on the edge with a hammer. There's usually a lump hammer somewhere in the vicinity when laying limestone flags, so that's what I use, but I can't see why it wouldn't work with any hammer at all provided it was big enough.

I have seen (but never tried personally) someone soak/wet the edges you need 'tumbled' and then hold a very hot blow torch to it. The water in the edge (but not too deep in) causes it it flake and you get the tumbled effect. This was on thick limestone slabs, so you might want to do a few tests first on some scrap pieces

like this:

and

Last edited:
I've tried it loose as well (slab on bench). The reason I took to doing it laid was that the black limestone in particular was very prone to cracking. Once I started that, I just found it easier to sit on the recently laid floor cross legged and tap away. It only needs a bit of roughing up.

Thanks guys, I will have a little experiment, with the hammer and a blow torch (need to borrow that off a mate),
Mark

I certainly wouldn't lay them flat on a bench as it's definitely a cracking risk, if you have to lay them flat then a bed of soft sand or similar support is better however I've laid a lot of these as well as sandstone, slate and similar materials and have always dressed any edges by sitting on a seat with the slab on end resting on a bit of carpet or foam and dressing the edge downwards. Little chance of damage and very efficient.

I've never dressed any that are stuck down as it's completely against my logic and experience to bash, even gently, as you can weaken the bond. Once down the only pressure exerted should be from above as intended IMHO. Each to his own however and some people maybe get lucky.

I hadn't heard of the water / blowtorch method, intersting. I might give that a go just for fun.

The only time I use a lump hammer is when dressing lumps of natural stone when a well placed blow is very effective. They are great at breaking your knuckles as well if not careful.;)

Lons when you dress the edge downwards with it stood on end what tool do you use please?
Mark

Last edited:
I wonder how well a needle gun would work for that kind of thing, or it might not produce the desired effect.

Hi Mark
I would cut from the underside of the slab/tile and guesstimate a suitable depth of cut of around 15mm and then snap it, from my experience you can get a very acceptable hewn edge, as others have mentioned you can dress some of the grinding marks off with a small cold chisel and again with a bit of patience you can get an acceptable edge where the edge is visible

Lone when you dress the edge downwards with it style on end what tool do you use please?
Mark
Thin cold chisel and small lump hammer or on thin slabs I've used a brick hammer or even a scutch with a plain blade. practice makes perfect though.
Those videos of the heat treatment look interesting and I'm definitely going to have a go when I get home. In the highlands at the minute hoping we'll get a glimpse of the northen lights tonight.

Back