• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Evidence for sophisticated woodworking 300 thousand (!) years ago.

Fascinating stuff..........and I particularly like the phrase "preservation bias" to explain why stone tools were assumed to be pre-emminent, and thus we have various stages of "stone age", then "bronze age", then "iron age"........whereas what we actually had was one continuous wood age.

I highly recommend a book called "The Wood Age" by Roland Ennos, which makes that point: that humans were dependant on wood for aeons before we became dependant on stone, and continuously right up the modern day. I'm half way through it, and it's excellent.

Last edited:
Yes. It's a good book. Agree re preservation bias too. It's a bit like history - always written by the winner, hence favouring the winner.

It's written by an academic, but written for the general public. It's more popular science, or popular history, than academic work. Well researched and nicely written......and very interesting.

Back