• Hi all and welcome to TheWoodHaven2 brought into the 21st Century, kicking and screaming! We all have Alasdair to thank for the vast bulk of the heavy lifting to get us here, no more so than me because he's taken away a huge burden of responsibility from my shoulders and brought us to this new shiny home, with all your previous content (hopefully) still intact! Please peruse and feed back. There is still plenty to do, like changing the colour scheme, adding the banner graphic, tweaking the odd setting here and there so I have added a new thread in the 'Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests' forum for you to add any issues you find, any missing settings or just anything you'd like to see added/removed from the feature set that Xenforo offers. We will get to everything over the coming weeks so please be patient, but add anything at all to the thread I mention above and we promise to get to them over the next few days/weeks/months. In the meantime, please enjoy!

Hi

Reggieb

Seedling
Reaction score
Name
Rob
I'm a post-covid woodworker. Started buying machines and then realised they mainly generated dust, endangered my fingers, and took up space in my garage workshop. Embracing hand tools seemed to be the solution. The more I've used hand tools, the more I've enjoyed my woodworking.

welcome, look forward to seeing photos of what you make!

I'm a post-covid woodworker. Started buying machines and then realised they mainly generated dust, endangered my fingers, and took up space in my garage workshop. Embracing hand tools seemed to be the solution. The more I've used hand tools, the more I've enjoyed my woodworking.
Welcome Rob. Sounds like your woodworking journey is a truncated version of mine, in a way. The older I get the less I like power tools and the more handwork I do.

Be prepared for people to get your name wrong!! "Reggie" is a bit of a red herring, it seems. :)

Welcome Rob. Good to hear of your conversion to hand tools. I have just two machines, a planer thicknesser and a bandsaw.

Welcome Rob, that sounds exactly like my story - I started in Covid and got a tablesaw (long since sold) and have been doing more and more hand tool stuff ever since.

Welcome aboard from NW france, we try not to discriminate here between neanderthals and power tool users ;).:) All are welcome.

Welcome from me too. While there's no antagonism here between power and hand tool users, I do think that if it's the process of making that you enjoy (more than the finished object) then there's no point in rushing to get it done as quickly as possible.

Welcome from me too. While there's no antagonism here between power and hand tool users, I do think that if it's the process of making that you enjoy (more than the finished object) then there's no point in rushing to get it done as quickly as possible.

I use power tools and machines all the time as well as hand tool thingies, and at two instruments a year, I can hardly be described as rushing to get it done. :) Seriously, a machine or power tool does the job for me more accurately and more consistently than I can do by hand.

Welcome Rob. Sounds like your woodworking journey is a truncated version of mine, in a way. The older I get the less I like power tools and the more handwork I do.
Welcome from me in Salisbury. I like my machine tools (router table, bandsaws and planer thicknesser) but hand tools are equally indispensable - Rob

I'm not sure it's huge - it's a largish single garage.
I was trying to be cute, and it seems it didn't work. Mine is the size of of a single garage, just, and so I need everything on wheels. But photographing makes them look huge. Nice work. I like the bench.

Back